BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Home

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Bonetired, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Bonetired

Bonetired junior member

United States United States
    I had my right hip replaced Thursday afternoon. The surgery was just over 2 hours. I was in the hospital for all of 20 hours! And was sent home last night. My thigh feels like it was beat up with a baseball bat, my neck is really bruised and the anesthesiologists cut the inside of my lip and I ended up with a big ol fat lip Haha

I'm shocked how quickly they sent me home! I woke up at 4 this morning with a temperature of 101.7. I think it was because I slept almost 6 hours straight and missed my pain meds dose. It's good to be home but I could see how it could be beneficial to stay in the hospital a little longer..

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    Bone, kuddos to you! They are telling me I'm leaving the day of surgery! Will keep my fingers crossed on how that turns out!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Bonetired,
    Welcome to the other side!
    As long as there are no complications, D/C the day of surgery or the next day is common, as is a slight temperature.
    Set your alarm so you do not miss a dose of pain medication, pain control is important in these early days.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
    Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Bonetired
    Glad you are home. One thing you don't expect from a hip op is a sore lip but I am sure that will recover quickly.
    As Pumpkin has already said,set your alarm for your meds. It may seem silly to be woken up to take them but it really does make a difference.
    Best wishes for your recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to the other side! Get that icing and elevating going. You are on your way!

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:happydance:All done...Well done!
    Super duper sore thigh and low grade temperature...very normal.
    These first days are rather rough but keep that ice going and your medication on time...and you will get through it! All temporary!
    You are going to get your life back once this recovery phase is over and all will be worth it!

Healing hugs!:loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You can do it! I went home at 23 hrs post op and was apprehensive about leaving the security of nurses watching over me to be cared for by my husband :yikes: but it worked out. I found it more relaxing to be in the comfort of my own home without those constant interruptions. Take your meds on schedule and ice, ice, ice. You'll do just fine.
    Stop by often, we'll be here for support.
    A peaceful Sunday to you. :)
    @Bonetired

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

An elevated temperature immediately after surgery is perfectly normal. A sign of healing, in fact. Don't worry about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray! post-grad

You did it! I also had a bruised, fat lip, and my thighs were very tender. They do a lot of hammering. It's great that you are sleeping so well. The first three days are usually the worst.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KathyB

KathyB junior member

I was also sent home the same day. Had surgery at 7:30 am, done around 9:00 am, didn't fully wake up until around 4:00 pm, up around 5:00 pm, walked, discharged around 6:00 pm. What a whirlwind!:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Welcome! The first two weeks are hard; as has been said before, take the meds when prescribed, not when you feel pain, that way you'll stay ahead of it. I missed a dose 3 nights after surgery and WOW, it was torture; so take heed. I found after surgery my thigh hurt, my knee, and groin area. It's all normal - rest, elevate, ice. Don't try to do anything heroic (like take a few laps around the house). The articles and posts on this forum really provide a wealth of information and comfort - best to you. Rest well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Mojo333

Just popping in to say:hi:
    These first days can be a bit tough...hope you are managing your pain well..sleeping and icing it up!:ice:
    It WILL get better!

Wishing you a Happy New Year.
    Next year you can celebrate with a good hip!:ok:

13. Maryluibel

Maryluibel junior member

Hi @Bonetired! I’m a week ahead of you. This site has been so wonderful for me. Although all our experiences may be slightly different, there are always gems of similarity that have eased my mind. I’m a crazy worrier, but I have learned that that thing that got me worried (new ache, 2 weeks of low grade fever, nosebleed, etc) were transient and all part of the healing. After the first week for me, I began to feel more human. Sometimes I cannot believe I even actually had the bravery or “balls” to go through with this! Pat yourself on the back. You did it! I will be rooting for you! So nice to have experience here to lean on. I’m blessed that I actually have 3 friends who have gone through hip replacement. Their ages range from 40’s to 70’s. I feel being 59 is young, but not necessarily. Who knew that I would be needing those people in my life for advice and venting because I myself was going to go through it too!! But to save my friends from constant questioning, I come to this site to find answers, suggestions, commonalities, and support!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi,
    Wondering how you're doing?
    Leave us an update if you are feeling up to it next time you stop by.
    We're here for you and would love to offer support and encouragement as you're healing.
    I hope today is a good one! :SUNsmile:
    @Bonetired

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

:wave:@Bonetired
    Checking in on you.:)
    I think it took me about ten days to realize this was actually all temporary and gluing to give me my life back...eventually.:unsure:
    Hope you are finding some sort of a recovery groove.
    Hope today is a good day :ice:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bonetired

Bonetired junior member

Thank you all! I think I'm 10 days out now? Every day is new. I'll have something feel better only to have something new pop up that hurts. Lol
    I'm assuming it's the swelling going down and making me simultaneously feel better and worse! I'm actually getting around great. I don't need much help any longer... Well really none except for driving and errands. No more fever and barely need my walker for regular walking around the house.
    The new pains I've developed are my groin and the top of my foot! Plus my ankle on the outer side.

I'm still wearing those awful compression socks 24 hours per day, taking less pain meds, not zonked out as much (but still incredibly tired!) and mostly gradually getting better each day.
    The pain on the top of my foot really smarts so I think I'm actually going to make a call about it to my surgeon tomorrow. I have zero ideas as to the cause and Dr Google hasn't helped with an answer..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Tesjohn

Tesjohn junior member

@Bonetired . I am only out 7 days and I saw your post about foot pain.I also had pain in the top of my feet. Did you have an anterior approach? I did and I did some research and I think the foot pain comes from buckling in of those boots that they put your feet in! I could be wrong. There doesn’t seem to be a part of my right leg that is not sore or tender is some way! I think it stems from that special table!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Bonetired

Bonetired junior member

I DID have an anterior approach but I'm unfamiliar with any boots!? Were the boots at least cute with the hospital gown? Just kidding! Really though, I didn't know anything about boots.

I do have to agree with you though about my entire leg hurting! I have deep bruises all up along my leg. Methinks they had too much Bob the Builder fun in there!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Tesjohn

Tesjohn junior member

If you google the Hana break away table you can see the contraption you were hooked onto and you may agree with me that that is what a lot of pain is from! Anyway apparently they do a lot of hammering and whatever while we are in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mojo333

:hi: So glad to see you post.
    There are many confusing aches and pains in the early days post op it's hard to know if it was from surgery trauma or new gait and different stance after all the time with bad hip...
    You sound like you are doing wonderfully despite the foot issue @Bonetired !:flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1