THR Home!

Hipgirl18

Country
United States United States
Well—it’s over! Had left anterior with spinal Tuesday (3/6) and sedation. It went very well, they say. Very little blood loss-no drain-Home 23 hours later. Only setback—nausea and vomiting from the oxy.
I thought yesterday (day 2) went well at home. Able to walk around well. Backed off the oxy so my stomach could calm down. Last night I broke one in half and took it with food because my muscles were so stiff and sore. Just woke up and ouch. Pain is nothing lying in the recliner—but whoa ouch ouch ouch when I stand up!! Have to go to PT this afternoon. Onward!!! Ice, rest, oxy, naproxen. And TV. Am I normal?

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
It's wonderful to hear all went well. I was discharged 23 hrs post op just as you.
It's kind of strange and overwhelming initially. I hope you find a way to keep your
pain under control without feeling nauseous. That has to be difficult.
Consider speaking with your OS about adjusting your meds if it continues.

Please read the Recovery Article below. It contains a lot of useful information.
Also check out our Library if you haven't already.
Wishing you a peaceful day of healing!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Hipgirl18

Congrats on the new hip. My oxy was blended with Tylenol and I quickly went to 1/2 tab of oxy and then to just Tylenol. That along with the ice worked well for me but I don’t think I had as much pain as some. It sounds like you are off to a great start on the recovery. Don’t get too carried away with the PT. My OS said we don’t need PT to recovery from hip replacement surgery. I actually did very little pt and I’m just fine. Some little voice is n the back of my head kept telling me I needed to work on recovery and therefore, needed PT but I finally shut the voice off and realized I didn’t need any PT after all. I think all the reading I did here in BS helped convince me my dr was right. Sending healing thoughts your way for a speedy recovery :yes!: :flwrysmile:

Ask for anti-nausea meds or a change in your medication to avoid the nausea. Not fun when you are trying to heal. But you do need the meds to be able to increase your mobility.

I adjusted down to 1/2 of a 5 mg oxy—lots of saltines! Seems to be ok other than nodding off lol. Muscle pain intense today. Little popping sound on side of leg when walking. Hope it’s all normal. Patience!!

Are you icing and elevating? It is really way too early to be cutting down on your meds. All that pain is post op pain and easily controlled. Call your surgeon's office or your family doc to tweak your meds a bit.

You will get lots of sensations in your new hip. Clicking and popping are just a few. In time muscles will tighten around the joint again and this will just fade away.

Sometimes when you have nausea with oxycodone, you can shift to hydrocodone, Lortab, for instance and will not have nausea. it is worth a call to your doc to see if you can get something else. Or, at the least, something to control the nausea. I always kept crackers and little tins of peanut butter by my bed, i would eat a cracker with peanut butter whenever I took a pill.

Please don't try to reduce your pain medications this soon after surgery. This was a MAJOR procedure you've been through and most people have significant pain afterwards. You likely were in less pain right after surgery because today's surgeons typically put some type of pain medication in the wound before closing. It helps greatly in those first few days, but when it wears off on Day 3 or so, you have greater pain and stiffness (a form of pain). Unfortunately if patients don't understand this (and sadly sometimes it's not explained by doctors or nurses), they feel like they are not normal if they aren't as pain free on Day 4 as they were on Day 2.

You're normal. Don't push the activity and therapy until your body has had a chance to heal. Rest, ice, elevate and take something for your pain on a regular schedule until things get more comfortable.

Please don't try to reduce your pain medications this soon after surgery. This was a MAJOR procedure you've been through and most people have significant pain afterwards. You likely were in less pain right after surgery because today's surgeons typically put some type of pain medication in the wound before closing. It helps greatly in those first few days, but when it wears off on Day 3 or so, you have greater pain and stiffness (a form of pain). Unfortunately if patients don't understand this (and sadly sometimes it's not explained by doctors or nurses), they feel like they are not normal if they aren't as pain free on Day 4 as they were on Day 2.

You're normal. Don't push the activity and therapy until your body has had a chance to heal. Rest, ice, elevate and take something for your pain on a regular schedule until things get more comfortable.

I’m feeling pretty good for day 3. Stiff and sore, but icing and 2.5 mg of oxy plus naproxen are doing the job! Had PT and did a couple of minor things. Nothing painful. Resting in recliner. Thankful it’s over.

Sometimes when you have nausea with oxycodone, you can shift to hydrocodone, Lortab, for instance and will not have nausea. it is worth a call to your doc to see if you can get something else. Or, at the least, something to control the nausea. I always kept crackers and little tins of peanut butter by my bed, i would eat a cracker with peanut butter whenever I took a pill.

Vicodin was bad, too. I just needed to eat with it and taper down to 2.5 mg every 4-6 hours. Seems to be doing the job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping up with pain meds, resting, elevating and icing is the way to go at this early stage. Wishing you well with your recovery :flwrysmile:

Are you icing and elevating? It is really way too early to be cutting down on your meds. All that pain is post op pain and easily controlled. Call your surgeon's office or your family doc to tweak your meds a bit.

You will get lots of sensations in your new hip. Clicking and popping are just a few. In time muscles will tighten around the joint again and this will just fade away.

Good to know! My husband had right anterior 2 years ago. It failed in 6 days-dislocated and revised. Nightmare. Was in pain for months. I went to a different OS/clinic. But I admit to worrying about popping—his started with that.

Thanks, everyone!! Onward!!!

Hope your weekend is peaceful.
I'm guessing your husband's bad experience must make you anxious.
Glad all seems to be going well.
Onward....:ice:

I hope you are able to relax.
The chance of you experiencing the same thing hubby went through isn't likely.
Can certainly understand being more on alert because of it.
It sounds as though you're doing well. It's such very early days.
Get lots of rest and use lots of ice....you're on your way! :yay:
@Hipgirl18

A little better every day! Loving all the sleep! I’m getting around ok with the walker. Can stand without it fine-but love the security. The stool softener finally worked haha!! Celebration! (It’s the little things)
I’m stiff and sore-but 4 days out. Happy to be on the way! How’re you doing?

I hope you are able to relax.
The chance of you experiencing the same thing hubby went through isn't likely.
Can certainly understand being more on alert because of it.
It sounds as though you're doing well. It's such very early days.
Get lots of rest and use lots of ice....you're on your way! :yay:
@Hipgirl18

Here’s hoping for continued success!

Hi @Hipgirl18
Yay for things working! :wink: Sounds like you're doing well!
Sleep is good. It's so healing.
Take your meds on schedule, ice, elevate, move around a bit and you'll be on your way!
Hope your weekend is going well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back