BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Home tomorrow

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by slow, May 10, 2019.

1. slow

slow new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So now officially am double THR
    Operation on left hip on Tuesday and hoping to head home tomorrow.
    Pain is an issue and not looking forward to the 3.5 hour car journey home but am excited to be heading to my own bed
    I don’t seem to tolerate opioids so getting pain under control with paracetamol is proving difficult. Taking dihydracodeine and it helps but still struggling with pain round my knee - all/any suggestions welcome.
    Hope everyone else going through the op this week are recovering well.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

United States United States
    Welcome to the recovery side. So sorry your pain meds aren't quite there yet. I am glad you will be going home tomorrow but do not envy your long journey. Hope you are able to get your pain meds sorted out before leaving the hospital. Wishing you safe travels.

3. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    I hope they can find you some better alternatives for pain before heading home. Once home, it is harder to get the attention you might need. If it is nausea, ask for nausea medications right away. Your knee has been twisted, turned and crunched. Ice it when you ice your hip. Sadly, for many of us the knee pain lingers longer than the surgical pain but hopefully this next week you will notice that your horrible arthritic pain in the hip is gone. On the trip home, try to get out for 5 minutes at least every 2 hours at the very least; one hour would be better. Wear a urine incontinence pad as well (hospital will have them) because I can guarantee you the minute you see your own house, you will need to pee like never before! :heehee: Also ask if they can send you with some ice packs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello :wave:
    Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery :welome: Thanks for joining us.
    A consideration for the car ride home is a small cooler, even a disposable foam cooler if your driver
    can bring one, as well as a few gel ice packs so you can always have one on ice. That way you could switch them out on your breaks to stop and and stretch a few times on the way home. Icing helps with pain and swelling.

I'm so sorry you're struggling with pain. Please make sure you are confident in your pain management before discharge.

Below you will the Recovery Guidelines. Pay special attention to the Big Tip toward the bottom of the page.
    Stop back often, we'd love to offer support as you move through recovery.
    Safe travels home!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfo
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @slow

5. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Strange but true: I had a very long car ride after my hip surgery. My family put a pillow at my feet so my legs could recline out with support and then reclined my seat a bit. I am certain it helped with comfort and swelling. Be sure to have painkiller and water in the car.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Debru4

Debru4 senior

Sorry the opioid pain meds don't agree with you. There are a number of us on here who can't tolerate them. I envy those who can, as pain management is critical, and much easier if you can take strong enough meds to control it. As mentioned before, if the issue is mainly nausea, there are meds to help with that---be sure to ask.

However, in my cause not only do I have nausea, but I also have a number of other serious side effects that make taking traditional opioids impossible. I also am unable to take NSAIDS. So my first few days after any surgery always are rough. With that said, I can take acetaminophen and also Tramadol. It is not as strong as the other pain meds, but definitely is helpful. I'm not sure if the name is the same where you are, but you might ask about it. Also, some people struggle with one of the opioids and do fine with the others, so be sure to ask about it.

On the bright side, with ice, elevation, sleep, and whatever pain medication you can tolerate, within a few days you will not only start feeling better physically, but also will begin to feel more clear headed. The key is to not get behind the pain. Hard without opioids, but not impossible. I hope you find something that works well for you!:flwrysmile:

7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to the other side!
    They grab your knee and twist it to get access to your hip joint. Ice this area as well.

Hope you get your pain management cocktail sorted very soon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. slow

slow new member

Thank you thank you everyone.
    I am home journey was unpleasant but the feeling when I lay down in my own bed was indescribable! I think I may have purred like a cat. Then fell fast asleep.
    The pain is not sorted but I feel more confident in managing it myself and have ordered ice packs.
    Did not think about he knew twisting during surgery but makes perfect sense. So 2 ice packs for me when amazon make the delivery.
    Heaven to be home and feel so much better having the support from you all. Thank you again

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Layla

Glad you were that comfy! :heehee:

When you receive the ice packs, the forum Nurse recommends icing all areas that hurt for 40-60 min, no less, each time you ice. Target 4 x daily. Following is the article on ICE from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't had a chance to read through all of the info yet.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

Stop back often. We'll be here to support you along the journey.
    Happy Saturday! :wave:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Because icing helps SO much, consider getting someone to pick you up a cheap bag of frozen peas while you wait for Amazon. You can continue to use it after you get the good ones. They work on the knee especially well.
    There is nothing like our bed. I actually got teary when I got into mine. I do hope you can get that pain better controlled pretty quick!

• Like Like x 2
  11. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Welcome home! Own bed, own shower.. the best!

Ice is hands down the best soother for me! It provides immediate relief. If I’m laying down, I usually have a pack under each cheek!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
  12. slow

slow new member

So everyone was right I have a lovely hand shaped bruise on the back of my knee.
    The muscle from my knee to my groin is in bad shape. Ice packs are a life saver thank you again for the suggestion.
    Operation site is good nothing I can’t deal with but so disappointed about this knee. Improving each day but miles behind with exercise regime.
    Trying to be patient.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Thank you again

Sandra

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Layla

Hello :wave:
    Rest assured, you're not behind with your exercising. It's really not necessary.
    Following is the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines, followed by the Activity Progression for THR

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Icing will help your knee. Ice for 40-60 mins, no less, each time you ice, by recommendation of the forum Nurse Josephine. Target 4x daily. Hopefully it eases soon.

A great rest of the week to you. :)
    @slow

14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Hi @slow
    I do hope you aren't worried about the exercises and just rolling with these early days of recovery with lots of ice and resting :ice:
    When was your right hip replaced...would like to add that date to your signature to reflect your Double Hippy status.:chuckmarch:

Healing hugs coming your way:ok: