Home sweet home

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLVCa

Got home yesterday 3 days post op!

Went to the OR at 2:15 PM Monday. Have some recollection of cutting and pounding going on. Was in recovery for a few hours and was back in the ward shortly after 6:00 PM.

Was discharged home yesterday before noon. Was good to sleep in my own bed last night rather than the clatter and sleep interruptions in a surgical ward.

Today I had my first visit from home therapy. Flexion was 65. She says my problem will probably be that I try too hard and don't relax enough. We all know that is easier said than done. She was surprised that I don't have more swelling. I'm on Endocet (an oxycodone) and Tylenol for pain. Have to take the Fragmin shots for 30 days because of previous DVT and emboylism (sp?).

Many thanks for all the good wishes. This forum is the greatest.

Vern

Good luck with your recovery, Vern. My flexion was like yours two weeks ago--the Friday after my surgery. Yesterday it was 103--so the progress is pretty good. There are a few of us here are two weeks apart. Marianne is two weeks ahead of me, and think Carolinagirl is two weeks ahead of her. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. I'm sending positive thought for your progress, too.

Welcome back vern. Yes, as bad as it is to try to sleep after TKR, there is NO sleep in the hospital.

Definately agree with that. Always someone coming in to take temp, give meds. etc. Good luck with recovery Vern.

Welcome home - both your own home and this home!! Glad to know it all went off okay.

From one Vern to another welcome home Vern. I've been home 11 days havent slep in my bed yet, the couch is very comfy.

Vern

It's now 8 days post OP. I've run into a similar problem to the other Vern. I get extreme pain from the knee cap to about 4" below it when I put my foot down off the bed or recliner. The pain causes me to freeze the knee joint and I guess my muscles won't relax enough to allow the knee to bend. It eases some when I get some weight on it, but I'm finding out what the high numbers on the pain scale chart are like.

It's caused a setback in physio exercises. My PT had me stop all exercises for 2 days except ankle pumps and walking to see if the pain will settle down. I'm taking the max amount of pain pills and icing it every 2 hrs at present.

If it isn't improved by my PT visit tomorrow, it's back to the hospital to their fracture clinic.

How true it is that every knee is different. You can't seem to predict the outcome.

Vern

Vern,
I am so sorry to hear about this problem. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Please keep us posted. Hopefully this will resolve on its own.

It only lasted a couple of days for me, then subsided. Not that is wasn't bad enough while it lasted, though. Keep icing and elevating and when you do get up try to relax( yeah, I know--- right.....) and breathe slowly in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Tensing up makes the pain worse. I would just freeze in place for a few minutes until it let up then go and do what I needed to do. My PT said it doesn't happen to everyone but doesn't usually mean there is a problem. I hope it goes away soon. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks