• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Home recovering LTHR - my current issues

ladybiker

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
I had LTHR on Wednesday 11th Sept. Was the last one in so had to wait around most of the day before being prepped. Went down at 2.45pm, had some problems with the spinal but that got in finally then I lay down and don't remember anything until I woke up in recovery. Lateral approach?

Stayed in hospital Thursday and Friday and discharged on Saturday afternoon.

I am trying to stay on top of the pain meds, making sure I have enough and take more at the correct time. Constipation is an issue, they gave me an enema on Friday night (Eeuck!!!) and I have been scoffing prunes and also the laxulose they gave me. Finally got some sennacot yesterday that had a little bit of a result but not much. My appetite is not what it used to be and I am very 'take it or leave it' with food.

I would love to have a full night sleep but generally can make it a couple of hours before I wake up to go to the toilet. Lying in one position is not fun, not that I could really lie on my side if I wanted to.

Overall I am pleased as although it is a bit sore I no longer seem to have that constant grinding pain I have got used to.
Fiona

Celle

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @ladybiker - and :welome: to recovery.

I'm glad everything seems to be going well so far.
Those strong pain relief medications do cause constipation. I had to take Senokot the whole time I was on them.
Here's an article with some tips that might help: Constipation and stool softeners

Here is the rest of your recovery reading:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
:wave: Fiona and welcome.

Pleased you have made it through to recovery. You are suffering all the things that come along with this surgery ... but it gets better! The appetite increases and the poop fairy visits. :heehee:

Hang in there ... and keep in touch.
Hang in ....jpeg Izabel xx

Last edited:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Welcome! :welome: Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip.
Stop back often, we'll be here to offer support, encouragement and help in any way we're able.
A great Monday to you!
@ladybiker

Debru4

graduate
Country
I thought the first week following the replacement was so disorienting---with the meds, pain, new hip, it's really hard to get comfortable or know exactly what to expect. Within a couple of days you'll be moving into the 2nd week---it made such a huge difference for me! :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
ladybiker

ladybiker

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@321Evie thanks for the water/squeeze of lemon idea - I will try that. From elsewhere on this site I found the old 'prune juice' suggestion and sent my husband out to get some. Had a small glass of that and within about 30 mins had a visit from the poop fairy. She and I are now quite friendly so I suspect in my case it was the morphine doing it and with a steady diet of prunes/prune juice that I will soon get back to normal.

One other idea that has been helpful is the use of the dressing gown cord to lift my bad leg in and out of bed - brilliant. I struggled with that in hospital.

One of my hands is getting sore from the crutches so I plan to get my padded cycling gloves out and wear those - should make my paws a little less sore.

I actually had a good nights sleep for the first time since the op last night. Got up to go to the loo twice. 0130 and 0500. Normally I end up waking up, making a hot drink, reading etc. What did I do differently? I went to sleep sitting up. Simple solution, no risk of turning over, no back ache, simple.

We went out for lunch yesterday in an early effort to prevent me going 'stir crazy'. Needed the loo and my heart sank but the staff directed me towards the disabled toilet which had a RAISED SEAT!!!!

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
One week hipversary :loveshwr: and happy to hear things are "going" well.
The meds made things hard for me in that department also:umm:
I slept in my recliner better than in my bed for the first weeks.
All temporary and all worth it in the end.
Hope today is a restful day.:ice:

Didot

Country
Australia Australia
My recliner is the answer to sleep too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
1 week and already out and about. Sounds like you are doing spectacularly and already a good nights sleep. Wow.

DEL2019Sep-7

:wowspring:I'm impressed!! At one week after my surgery (and I'm a tough cookie, LOL), there was absolutely no way I would have gone anywhere. Keep up the good work. Your story is inspiring. :flwrysmile:

swimmer77

Country
Sounds like you are doing well. Each day gets better and each week gets betterer. LOL Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery.

Note to self: prune juice makes for a faster poop fairy.

DEL2019Sep-7

All hail the recliner
I absolutely love intuition! About a 1=1/2 years ago, when I first "injured" my hip, my inner voice urged me to get a recliner. Something about I will need it. I had an inkling that there would come a day when I would have a hip replacement because of the pain I had been experiencing (though still not diagnosed) so I searched the internet to find one that moved up and down via remote control. The other feature I wanted, not knowing how bad things might be, was one that not only came back to "neutral" but also went into a position that brought me almost to standing. I am so glad I listened. My recliner has been my life saver. As you know, all we can do is sleep on our backs after surgey, and actually what I've had to do most of the time pre-surgery. So I I've using this lovely chair for almost a year now. One of the best decisions I've ever made. As @CricketHip says so eloquently, "All hail the recliner."

Sweet dreams...:alarm: Can't wait to get into a real bed, though. :yawn:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
We haven't heard from you in several weeks. I hope all is well.
Please leave an update if interested next time you're on the forum. We'd love to hear about your progress.
Best of luck as you continue the journey! :walking:
@ladybiker

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dhall
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags