home or gym traction

tyorke1

Country
Canada Canada
Anyone do or use some of the exercises with bands putting slight pressure on hip to get them back into position.

Tried it, don't recommend it.

I tried for months before diagnosis and it wasn't useful. Got a bunch of PT and chiropractic to no avail.

I could tolerate using bands somewhat snd got a little stronger, but in the end - Big Ouch. And still needed THR.

As I understand it, the main problem is not alignment, it's that the bone itself is degenerating. Misalignment results as the muscles contract and stiffen around the increasingly mis-shapen head of the femur and hip socket.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ScenicRte has it right. When you have arthritic hips you cannot resolve the problem with the use of bands or traction.

Have you been told you have arthritis? Have you been advised that you need a hip replacement?

I have a date jan24/18 for right hip replacement, I do band work and I find for me it helps, I also keep it stretched.

Jan 24 2018.
Goodness me that's a long way off.
Why pray tell.
I tried all that traction stuff and anything else that was going. No Good.
The only solution for me was replacement.
Best Wishes.
Joe......

@Josephine Hi, What a write up! In my forty years as a trainer and sports coach i have seen people create more problems by trying to exercise their pain away. It just does not happen that way in real life. My Bilateral hip recovery was just wonderful doing nothing but walking! Thank you!

If you already have OA in your hip I would be very careful with exercise. I tried to exercise the pain away in my left hip and ended up having the joint collapse. Believe me, you do not want that pain. And yes, I used all kinds of bands and equipment in the gym on a daily basis. Bad move - it meant a longer, more complex recovery.

Josephine, those exercises are post op,I am trying to get to the replacement with the best quality of life I can. I feel better now than I did 8months ago. I try to stretch and keep the muscles strong, if I miss a few days I feel worse. Tough to figure what is best,

@tyorke1 Hi, Bilateral Jim here. In my opinion ty is what you feel is the best for you is best. Take the info and mold it into what works for you! Good Luck!

Hello tyorke1,

Had a posterior approach R-THR, COP non cemented 10/05/17. Tore my hip labrum playing squash and waited close to two years in the CDN public med system for a replacement. Stay active as much as you can and try to focus on your gait so you don't develop a limp. I worked out at the gym right to the day before the OP. Rode a stationary bike, lifted weights,
walked as much as I could and did some recommended pre. OP stretching exercises. And yes like yourself, I also felt much better after a non aggressive work out. Above all listen to your body.

My PT, an associate professor of rehabilitation the U of A tried hip traction. It helped, but only lasted several days.
My recovery was painless, no pain meds after being discharged and walking without aids and no limp @ 6 weeks.
Good luck and listen to Josephine.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks