Home at last

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith9915

Home for the 2nd day. I have new knee and have started all the home bound PT. Have not been able to take pain meds. since Ive been home. Doctor 's calling in new med's today. I'm getting so sick after taken them I can't get up. Never been so sick in my life, but it will get better doc. says.

Welcome home rs! If the doctor says it will get better...then it WILL! Make sure you are NOT taking your meds on an empty stomach! At least the worst part is OVER for you now! Good luck with PT!

Welcome to the other side! From now on things will just get better and better.
I found after this surgery I had to eat a little something whenever I took meds or my stomach was terrible. This is not a problem I've ever had before but a graham cracker or two really made things better. Maybe you might find it will help you, too.
Blessings,
Irene

That first few days after you get unhooked at the hospital are kinda rocky. You are already almost through that period though. You shoving that walker around yet?

welcome home now is the road to recovery and you will do good.

Yes besure to eat a few mins or so before you take your pain meds.
It will help if you are getting sick from them.

I am so happy its over for you...The medicine they gave me after did the same. Hope they will give you something to make you feel better . Glad you posted to let us know your ok....Hang in there it will get better and you will be happy for it. Talk soon........

I kept a pack of saltine crackers on my desk in easy reach and a cup of ice water. They both helped. Munched on the crackers when I felt nausea coming on. Not much appetite right after surgery, so find what you can stomach that is non perishable so you have it available when needed.

Hope you progress well! Will be thinking about you.

Blessings

Glad you are home...hope that get the pain and nausea under control quickly...hard to deal with all at the same time.

Welcome home!

I was on two different kinds of "oxy" (oxycontin and oxycodone) for almost a month. Then the doc switched me to Percoset. I'd taken it years ago for dental procedures, but now it makes me queasy and dizzy. I called the office, the doc called in another 'scrip- this one for Vicodin (Hydrocodone, which I've been taking for years at night). Fixed me right up! I only needed it for a couple of weeks in the daytime- mostly before PT. Now I'm on my normal night-only dose for my other arthritic pain.

Good luck in your recovery. :)

Smith,
So glad to hear that you are home!! Sorry to hear that your pain meds are making you sick. I can only say what the others have all ready said I have to eat something before I take the pain meds plus drink a full glass of water. Other wise I will be sicker then a puppy. I hope the Doctor gives you somthing that will work for you. How is your PT going?

Okay, I'll come clean. I got off the prescription meds by the second week. They just didn't agree with me. I then turned to ice and Aleve. When I realized that wasn't enough, I turned to marijuana. Now, I'm not a pothead. Nor am I advocating the use of illicit drugs. Here in California, marijuana is legal for medicinal purposes. You have to get a doctor's recommendation. Truthfully, I don't even like marijuana. However, I find that it takes the edge off the pain without making me nauseous or dopey like Vicodin did. Again, I'm not saying everyone should start using pot. This was a personal decision. But it's one that I'm glad I made.

You did it, rsmith! I swear to you it will get better. Granted, we all heal on our own schedules. For the last two days, my pain has been almost as bad as it was right after surgery. I think that's from working out and having PT on the same day. Today, I actually feel great. The knee still hurts a bit. My range of motion still needs work. Nonetheless, today is a definite turning point. (No, I did not use any marijuana—I've had very little pain.) I'm beginning to feel like my old self. And you will too now that you've done it!

Rsmith, the advice to eat something (like a cracker) each time you take your pain meds is right on target. I found another good thing is something like banana bread or a small piece of brownie too.

If that still doesn't do it, there is anti-nausea medicine that can be prescribed. Or your doctor can switch among the MANY, many pain meds available. Keep after it, though, because your healing and therapy will go much smoother if you have a way to manage your pain properly. Don't hesitate to contact your surgeon or primary care doctor and tell them a prescription isn't working and what else can be tried.

I've try eating crackers with sprite. Bananas, toast, eggs, milk you name it. My great grandmother said to eat fresh ginger before I take the meds. The Pt is going very good, I just have to suck it up without the pain meds. My Pt said I'm doing very good and I'm pretty tough. He really pushes me and cheers me on. I was only able to sleep about 2 hours last night due to the pain. Is this the norm?

Really ginger, what we learn on here never heard of that but those lil home remidies usually work...Good luck at PT sounds like your doing great. I dont think I could have done it w/o med..ouch!!!!!!.lol..Yes I slept 2 hrs only for about a mth..so sorry seems to be a thing with this. But you might just break it and do better I sure hope so........Yes it will feel so much better when they are gone. Sounds like you have a great PT...

I used ginger to deal with nausea when I was pregnant. I thought it worked rather well! Try it!

The removal of the staples doesn't change the knee's ability to bend. I thought the same thing you did. Then they took out the staples and it still felt as if my incision was pulling every time I tried to bend. That will slowly but surely right itself. You won't even notice that it's happening.

Okay, I'll come clean. I got off the prescription meds by the second week. They just didn't agree with me. I then turned to ice and Aleve. When I realized that wasn't enough, I turned to marijuana. Now, I'm not a pothead. Nor am I advocating the use of illicit drugs. Here in California, marijuana is legal for medicinal purposes. You have to get a doctor's recommendation. Truthfully, I don't even like marijuana. However, I find that it takes the edge off the pain without making me nauseous or dopey like Vicodin did. Again, I'm not saying everyone should start using pot. This was a personal decision. But it's one that I'm glad I made.[/QUOTE

That makes me giggle. :hehe:

Rsmith, have you asked your doctor to change pain meds? There are many options to try.

If you don't want to actually eat ginger, ginger ale is a very old remedy for nausea. Get a good brand like Canada Dry or Swepps...not a store brand.

Rsmith
When you get the staples out, ask the doctor if you can start putting a lotion on it to soften the scar. It does help.

Don't use lotion or anything on the scar until the doctor says OK!!!!!

Okay, I'll come clean. I got off the prescription meds by the second week. They just didn't agree with me. I then turned to ice and Aleve. When I realized that wasn't enough, I turned to marijuana. Now, I'm not a pothead. Nor am I advocating the use of illicit drugs. Here in California, marijuana is legal for medicinal purposes. You have to get a doctor's recommendation. Truthfully, I don't even like marijuana. However, I find that it takes the edge off the pain without making me nauseous or dopey like Vicodin did. Again, I'm not saying everyone should start using pot. This was a personal decision. But it's one that I'm glad I made.[/QUOTE

That makes me giggle. :hehe:

now, you do realize I have been in pain for 31 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom