THR Home and Feeling Great!

Hi @luvsibes :wave:
I hope all is well.
Wishing you a fab 4th! :friends:

Hello Hippie Friends,

Has anyone traveled by air in the US with their new prothesis? I have a letter from my doctor stating I have metal in my hip due to THR. I'm just wondering if anyone has flown and if you did set off the metal detectors. I'm heading to a 50th High School reunion in the midwest in a couple of weeks so it will be my first air travel with the new hip.

Thanks for your sharing! Claudia

Has anyone traveled by air in the US with their new prothesis?
Yes, several times. A letter won't do anything for you. The best advice I can give you is to arrive early and proceed through security. Tell staff in the area you have had a hip replacement. You will set off the alarms and they will need to use a wand on you. Note that the person doing the wand will have to be female. If there are no female members of staff available you will need to wait until they find one. Always best to go through security early so you make your flight.

Hi @luvsibes
It's always nice to hear from you! Assuming all is going well.

I've taken domestic flights and found it uneventful. No beeping as I walked through metal detectors, no pat downs, security ran a scanner across my clavicle on one of the flights and sent me on my way.

Fiftieth class reunion?!! You don't look old enough!
Safe travels and have fun! :happyfeet:

Thanks @Layla
We'll see what happens at LAX. I'll be early and prepared but hope it goes easily. It's a very busy airport with a lot of security.

Yes, it's a 50th - class of '69! Thanks for the compliment!

All is going well and I feel so much better than pre-op. I'll never wait 4 years of pain and limitations ever again! The scar tissue has finally stopped aching although occassionally it's a bit so if I slept hard on my hip, etc. I'm still pretty cautious and not too much into risk taking at this stage of life!

Thanks to everyone on BoneSmart for all the support along the way!

I got back on-line here after a notice about another member so thought I'd do a quick post. Everything went smoothly at LAX and MCI airports. I didn't beep or need my letter about my hip. Hubs, however, had to go through a couple of times due to glasses in his pocket he forgot to remove! LOL! I danced and had a good time at the 50th HS reunion in KCMO!

I'm so grateful for the new hip. I can do pretty much everything again. There's still a bit of stiffness in the surrounding muscles but I'm on the yoga mat again and still teaching the adapted chair yoga as I know how important that was to me during my stubborn "I can fix it myself" stag for 3 years pre-surgery!

Off to Maui this week for the first time in two years! After a stint with the hip surgery, lots of eldercare, and training the new rescue pup just before surgery, we are ready to go! Hopefully LAX will be easy this time too and Honolulu too!

Thanks @Layla for keeping in touch with all of us!:)

Hey @luvsibes
You're welcome, it's my pleasure. I always enjoy hearing from you and getting updates from members who are thriving and back living life.

Kind of comical hubs gets pulled over and you breeze on through at the airport. And now off to Maui, how exciting! I think about AR2 once in awhile and hope she's doing well because she was struggling. You seem to be doing very well and I'm happy to hear it.

Safe travels to Maui, I hope you have a wonderful time. Please stop by and visit again one day.
Until that time....all the best! :loveshwr:

Great update and nice to hear you are back to life and having fun.
:egypdance:

Hey @luvsibes
Just happened upon your smiling face as I was scrolling for an old member.
I see you just passed your second anniversary two days ago. Happy Two Year Anniversary!
I hope all continues to go well with you and you’re staying safe and healthy. :)
Have a wonderful Summer!

Thanks Layla! Yes, it's been 2 years. I'm so happy to have the new hip after waiting almost 4 years in pain thinking I could fix it myself! The warm water pool, adapting to chair yoga, and lots of massage and topicals did help but I felt better right away after surgery.

I'm back to yoga on a mat and teaching chair yoga on Zoom. I can do just about anything.

I do still have a bit of nerve pain and muscle stiffness on the new hip side. My quads, low back, and IT band are quite tight. I massage them and still use topical rubs at times. Overall, I would say I'm 98% better and easily can manage the challenges of tight muscles!

We're still staying in here in LA and wearing our masks. I've read as many books now as I did during hip recovery! Thanks again for checking in. I hope you are doing well and staying safe.

:wave:Great update, luvsibes, you’re doing so well! Thanks for taking the time to share your progress. I’m not sure any of us are ever 100%. I’m not. My surgeon’s PT reminded me at one of my post op visits that our prosthetic hip will never match our natural hip, but can be a pretty close second. I agree. I also read here from someone who was recovering ahead of me that if he was only ever 90 (something) % (I forgot the actual number) it was still worth it all to be rid of the pain and regain his life. I’m sure the majority of us would agree.
THR has been well worth it to me.

Take good care. All the best going forward!
@luvsibes

Hello All, just a quick check-in to say thanks again for all the support on the hip journey. I love my new hip and all is well with it.

It seems that you can fix one body part and another wants to flare. I'm off to the shoulder forum now! It all began during the hip journey, continues to be episodic and is also now impacting the other shoulder!

Best wishes to my hippie buddies and any newbies.

Hey @luvsibes It’s so good to hear from you and read that your hip is doing well.
However, I’m sorry to hear about your shoulder. I’ll have to check in on the shoulder side to stay updated once you schedule surgery...if that’s the plan. I hope the pain isn’t constant and you obtain permanent relief soon.
Merry Christmas to you. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: hippy pal.
Sorry to hear your shoulder is being a pain... Will be thinking of you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back