THR Home and Feeling Great!

@luvsibes :egypdance:
It does get better and better!:yes!:

Overall, I feel at least 10 years younger!
I've said this exact same thing!
It is TRUE!
Very happy that you are doing so well!:ok:

I am a little over a month behind you, and really appreciated reading your post. I'm a bit envious that you live in CA and can be more active year round. Living here in Colorado where we've had a lot of cold temps, snow, and ice, I don't feel like I have been as active as I'd be if I lived somewhere warmer. Just not wanting to risk falling, and a bit uncomfortable in the icy cold weather. I noticed the cooler weather still bothers you a bit as well, even in California.

When I went to visit my son in the Dominican Republic for Thanksgiving I was tickled at how active I was able to be, considering where I was last year---very similar to your before and after experience.

Spring is coming, but in Colorado that typically means a lot of heavy wet snow, mixed in with nice days, so I'll have to be careful, and patient until things consistently warm up in terms of longer walks and hikes outdoors.

That's cool that you teach chair yoga:) I'm doing an online chair yoga class right now--just finished one on overcoming body stiffness which was good too. I always love hearing how folks who had their surgeries a little ahead of me are doing!:flwrysmile:

A lovely update and hope to achieve the same bit sadly still having setbacks. Maybe I need to move somewhere warm!

Glad it is working for you luvsvibes. I dream of the day I can walk five miles without a stick and no pain :)

Hi @SurreyGirl
Hi @Debru4

Thanks for the notes and kudos! Hang in with your pacing yourself and taking it cautiously. My doc said to give it a year and to remain "scared" in the sense of cautious. Around 5 months, I began to feel steady on my feet, confident in my stride and able to have the ROM to do more. I started back to mat yoga just this month (month 8) and am going very slowly and gently but really appreciate the ability to this again. It had been 3 years since I went to my yoga studio. I still have a ways to go but I anticipate that 1 year mark in June!

I was pretty impaired when I decided to have the surgery, limping and limiting myself! I haven't been to the warm pool exercise in about 6 weeks. I see some of my pool buddies in my chair yoga classes!

I am so excited by the Accessible Yoga movement and increasing awareness that yoga is more than being in a pretzel shape! The breath is so important too. You can adapt most all the yoga poses to the chair! My teacher (and available for classes on-line) in Lakshmi Voelker (www.gefitwhereyousit.com).
I plan continue to teach on the chair as it benefits so many as well as myself!

I grew up in Kansas City so remember well the cold and wind! I've been in Cali now longer than the midwest and realize how weather sensitive I am! I hope warmer and drier days are on the way for you both!

Patience, gentleness, and consistent walking and stretching are what I've been doing still! Hang in there and you'll hopefully be surprised at how it does keep improving. I just realized this week that I'm walking faster and not worried about falling (I had several falls pre-surgery). Even my friends and neighbors notice and comment after seeing me limping and slowly following hubs and pup on walks for so long!

Hi luvsibes!
I noticed you on the forum the other day and wanted to say Hi but got side tracked. Wondering how you've been doing over the past couple months?

Just think you'll be coming up on 11 months post op already in only a few days.
It surprised me how quickly the first year post op blew by. You've done so well with your sensible measured approach. It looks like you've returned to most of the activity you were missing which is awesome. I hope you see even more improvement as you come up on your first anniversary.
I wish you well, stay in touch!
@luvsibes

Hello dear @Layla .
Thank you for the nice note! I did pop on the site a couple of days ago as I got a notification of an update from one of my hippy sisters.

It is hard to believe that it's coming up on 11 months! I am amazed at how quickly the year went by but it was a bit of a lost year as well. I am doing pretty much everything I want and have no joint pain in the hip at all. The scar tissue is still pretty tender but nothing bothersome nor remotely like the hip pre-op! I have little padding on my hips (lots elsewhere on my body tho!) so there's not much between the bone/prothesis and skin and the world of things to bump in to!

I have gone back to mat yoga and continue to teach Chair Yoga. I went to a Pilates Reformer session with a girlfriend this past week and did great! It's pricey so I'm off to use my Silver Sneakers benefit and try the senior gym and classes, perhaps Pilates and/or a strength class my yoga students recommend. It's at our OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, which is on a number of university campuses in the US) and geared for older adult fitness.

QUESTION: are there any tips or precautions anyone might have as I return to the gym and weight machines? Any thoughts about senior Zumba Gold for THR folks after 1 year?

I've given the BoneSmart site to a number of folks I've talked to as they embark on this journey. It was a comfort and great companion to the pre and post surgery experience. Thank you and the staff and all my hippy friends for all the support and kindness!:thankyou:

:loveshwr::flwrysmile::dogwalk:

Great progress and so happy you are doing so well. The yoga sounds amazing!

are there any tips or precautions anyone might have as I return to the gym and weight machines? Any thoughts about senior Zumba Gold for THR folks after 1 year?
My suggestion is start slow, modify any moves that seem strenuous and don't go overboard.
I think maybe @alexthecat and possibly @sharonslp have had Zumba experiences after THR?

So glad to hear you are doing so well!
I also can't believe it will soon be one year for you!

I've done regular Zumba, not Zumba Gold, and not had problems. I think it will be fine for you return to it whenever you feel ready. Just remember to ease into it and listen to your body, just as you would with any activity.

@luvsibes that is all great to hear. Looking back at a post I put on your thread on 26 February I am following on behind but have made good progress over the past 2 months. Stiffness much less and the stretching exercises really helped - particularly standing to sitting.

Glad you can dance at weddings and do keep us posted re the Zumba. My local health club has something called Diva Dance which sounds hilarious. Might give it a go.

I haven't done Zumba myself, but my understanding is that the Gold classes are intended as a toned-down version for those who need to ease into it. I wouldn't hesitate to try it at your stage. But I also imagine you'd be allowed to observe both the Gold and the regular version classes. I think you'll know from that what your body is ready to handle. And ask about starting with the regular class but if you find it is too much too soon, they'd let you switch to the Gold.

Hey :wave: @luvsibes
On behalf of BoneSmart thank you for the kind words and also for passing site info onto others.
It's greatly appreciated.

I'm so happy for you! What a great update. It sounds like your back to doing most of what you love.
Your slow measured approach to recovery has paid off as you're doing so well. Please stop back with an update on your Anniversary. It's very inspirational to those following behind you.
Wishing you only the best moving forward! :friends:

Hello and Happy Tuesday! :wave:
Thanks for responding to Cassidy's thread regarding Yoga. I hope you continue to do well.
Eighteen more days until your one year anniversary. Unbelievable!
Please stop by with an update then. Your sensible measured approach to recovery will serve as an inspiration to those following behind you.
Big hugs and a great week to you! :friends: :loveshwr:
@luvsibes

Happy One Year Anniversary!
I hope you're doing something special today to celebrate this milestone.
I've enjoyed following your practical approach on your healing journey and have appreciated your contributions here.
Enjoy the weekend and best wishes for a lovely Summer. The future looks bright :SUNsmile: :happydance:
Hugs :friends:
@luvsibes

Oh My Stars!:happydance:One Year?
Happy Hippy Anniversary @luvsibes :friends:

Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333
Yes, 1 yr. post-THR!!! I feel 20 years younger!!!

One year ago today, I limped in to Cedars Sinai to begin this journey and end 4 years of pain, warm water exercise, adapted yoga, pain meds and limited walking and activity! The day prior, Hubby wheeled me in a wheelchair around the King Tut exhibit here in LA. Then, in the morning, I was greeted at 5 m with a newscast about Anthony Bourdain's death. I was so saddened and shocked, it did take my mind off the impending surgery. I recall going in to the pre-op room for prep and next I knew, I was in a hospital bed and waiting for someone to take me on a walker to the bathroom! Other than some intense pain for a night or two, I knew I'd be better. When I got in the car to go home, I said to my husband that my hip already felt better!

Now, I can do most anything I want and ROM is back and pain is gone (except for general arthritis other places in the body! The scar tissue area is still a bit tender and as much as it hurts, my massage therapist works in monthly and it continues to improve. Also, it seems you fix one joint and another wants to go bad or I'm just noticing knees and shoulders now that the hip isn't a challenge!)

Thanks to Bonesmart and my friends in the forum. You all made the journey more fun and less stressful! I've referred many to the site since!

Love, Claudia

Love your update. I'm happy you're doing well.
It is sad that so many of us get one joint fixed only to have another start deteriorating. With any luck you'll never have to experience another joint replacement, but if you do, hopefully it's a good long time away.

King Tut Exhibit...that sure brings back memories! I've always been a history buff and 40 yrs ago at the young age of 23 traveled to the Field Museum in Chicago to see the exhibit. It was interesting and mesmerizing. I swear at any given moment you could have heard a pin drop in there. It would be interesting to see again as it's been sooo long! Bourdain too....so sad. Loved his laid back style. Sadly he must have been a tortured soul.

Thanks for updating. It's always nice to hear from you!
@luvsibes

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom