Home Alone After Surgery

Getting into a taxi is a real pain! Laundry wouldn’t be an issue if your laundry is on the same floor, but navigating steps a few times a day the first few weeks can be an issue.

Thank you, I think I'm just making myself more scared of what to expect. And no I don't know anyone in my area, I have always been a quite loner since I lost my husband. As the surgery gets closer I'm getting a little scared. I don't want to go to a Rehab center and I have two dogs that will need to be kenneled while I'm in the hospital. I have purchased a dog door so my dogs can go outside without me, a bath bench, a shower wand, a raised toilet seat with handles, an Ice Therapy System for my knee, a bed rail and a chair rail for my couch, a long shoe horn, and some thing to help me put my socks on. I have a walker and crutches from when I injured my knee.

I think I may be going overboard but I'm scared of what to expect.

It sounds as if you're well prepared, and I think you'll find that you manage OK.

You do need to think about transport, though, because it will probably be about 4-6 weeks before you can drive again.

You'll need to get to the surgeon's office for checkups, to the pharmacy to pick up medications, and to the store for perishable groceries.
Is there a taxi service you can use?
Is there a supermarket that will deliver?

It might be a good idea to have your dogs kenneled for a little longer, at least a few more days after you get home. How will you get them home from the kennels?

I'm thinking of Uber to get around. My supermarket does deliver which is great. I hope to have most food on hand prior to the surgery, at least I hope so. You may be right to keep the dogs away for a few days. I just don't want to go to Rehab. And I'm afraid of the pain that I'll be in.

Be sure to talk with your medical team about your concerns for pain management. Your pain should be under control before you leave the hospital or they don't release you. That doesn't mean it can't become an issue once you're home, so you need to know what your options for management once home are going to be. These days most prescription pain medications are only doled out in small amounts, so you may need to go to the doctor's office to pick up a prescription (they cannot call them in to the pharmacies anymore) and then either go have it filled or have someone else do it for you. This may be your biggest challenge if you absolutely have no one who can help you. You need to discuss this with your social worker when you're in the hospital. Same with having someone to pick you up. I don't believe they will release you to a taxi or even a medical transport service. If you'd like to pursue this BEFORE you go in hospital, that would probably be smart. Call your surgeon's office and ask to talk with his nurse. You need to know what options may be available for you.

We have a pharmacy that delivers. If that’s an option for you it would be one less transport to worry about.

I was your age and went home alone. Had to learn a few shortcuts but not difficult. I have one dog and I had a neighbor let him in and out till I was able.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know I was quizzed about having someone take me home and I don't know if they would have "required" I have someone with me the first night but they were pleased I did.

I know that though I did have friends who were able to take me to PT, I did get prescriptions delivered. I'm not sure if my pharmacy routinely delivers but they did do it until I could drive. Since I have a few regular prescriptions that was very helpful. One less ride to have to ask for.

Hello @tracebann

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Your prep is great.
I was home alone during the day. It was fine. I could have managed alone totally except for my animals and setting up my ice machine. Would be great if you have someone able to pop in etc and people you can call if needed (a back up crew) for peace of mind.
This is what I did. I borrowed a walker in case I needed it (carrying things is easier with one) but I didnt need it and never used it.
For week 1. I mostly snoozed, walked to the bathroom etc. I only did essentials. I found I wasnt hungry but had bought wee packets of things like nuts, ice cream, protein bars, bottled drinks, water etc. Probably not healthy but I needed to get by.

Week 2. Was eating small meals. For some reason tiny cans of salmon were my thing and fruit.
I didnt want any of the meals my poor husband made at night.
I was much more mobile and was more into getting showered and dressed. I went out on my own. Used Uber plus the local bus. It was good. But made my family grumpy!!!

Other things about being a hone alone kid!
My dog was a pain. Kept loving me. I was scared she would trip me up and it got too much to cope with sometimes. Also I have 2 cats who loved me being home and snuggled up constantly. Guess I was a bit irritable.
My ice machine was difficult to manage initially. It was easier to get an ice pack than to set it up on my own. Take a look at your set up and see how you will manage with carrying things and your mobility aids. Also emptying used water and refilling (if this is required) could be tough on your own. If so, many people use ice packs and they work so dont worry. Gel ice packs take 2 hours to refreeze so you would need a few. Xx

I know I was quizzed about having someone take me home and I don't know if they would have "required" I have someone with me the first night but they were pleased I did.

I know that though I did have friends who were able to take me to PT, I did get prescriptions delivered. I'm not sure if my pharmacy routinely delivers but they did do it until I could drive. Since I have a few regular prescriptions that was very helpful. One less ride to have to ask for.

A pharmacy that delivers your RX?

Yes, I had a local pharmacy connected with my health plan that delivered after my surgery for a couple of times. I don't remember but I assume there may have been a delivery charge. I don't know if it was a service they offered only in this kind of circumstance. I was a pretty regular customer (for my routine prescriptions) and I think they told me this was an option when I asked them before the surgery about having someone else pick up prescriptions for me while I was unable to drive.

Just thought I'd add this. When my hips failed 10 years ago, I could barely hobble around with a cane much less carry anything. After hearing about it and seeing YouTube videos demonstrating it, I bought a Clax Cart. This is a German-engineered folding cart that, when unfolded and assembled vaguely looks like a shopping cart. Assembly is basically popping on the wheels and pulling apart the folded cart so that it is upright. That and unfolding the top box the way you'd unfold a cardboard box. It is polypropeline, very light, VERY strong and maneuverable with one hand. Before my first hip replacement, I kind of used it as a walker, putting my weight on the middle of the top box.

After surgery, I'd use my walker but gently push the Clax cart ahead of me with one hand. To change direction meant simply giving it a very gentle shove in that desired direction. Post surgery I still use it to unload my clothes dryer to transport clothes to a convenient folding place, to carry my coffee carafe/coffee lightener/cup/book/radio to the front porch every morning and to unload my car after grocery or cat litter shopping, filling it up and shoving it up the non-ADA ramp from walkway to my back deck. I have no doubt that it can hold more than the 80 pounds I load onto it, but I lack the physical strength to shove more than that up the slightly too steep ramp. They are pricy. I paid $350 ten years ago, but in terms of price per use, it has cost me apx $0.0000000001 per use. I use it for EVERYTHING. It is about the best $350 I ever spent! Anyone who is mobility impaired should get one, preferably BEFORE surgery.
I did not buy from the company below but I think their description is very good (along with useful photos of the cart).
https://salesmaker-carts.myshopify.com/products/clax-cart-shopping-delivery-cart

My RTKR is on Nov 12 and I will be "home alone". But I have retired neighbors on both sides if I run into any problems.

Learned a lot reading through this thread.

For my first surgery, the general anesthesia fried my brain, and for weeks I could not focus enough to read. I've now heard this happens to other readers. I had picked out a whole box of books which I thought I'd whiz through. I didn't read a single one!

So true. I borrowed a big bag of library books ready for lots of reading. My husband brought them in to hospital. I think I picked up a couple, and then not until day 4 or 5. I could not concentrate enough. My saviours were the test match cricket (2019 Ashes series ) and US Open Tennis on TV and radio (stream on laptop) and my laptop, though the hosp wifi was difficult, only seemed to work for me every other day. But different story once home, now reading voraciously. I did a voluntary library delivery service so I spruiked the service non-stop while in hospital, to patients and OTs alike. Not back to it quite yet.

@russianblu spruiked?

I'd concur with the previous comments. However, for my first TKR, I took a small portable DVD player in with me and a bunch of box sets with me and did watch them 'cover to cover'! Moral of this story - that's about all your brain is capable of for the first few weeks after surgery!

Spruiked is to promote or publicise - I was shamelessly promoting our housebound library delivery service that when I am fit I volunteer for.

Having been thru numerous revisions and soon I will be having another ( #7 same knee )one things is definite and there is no getting around it you will be in pain and yes it stinks but at the same time after the first week once your home you will find yourself able to do little things but you have to also not over do it either. All of the exercises that people have posted are great you just have to do them as required with out trying to push yourself into a short recovery. When you are in pain I have found an ice pack works wonders keeping the leg elevated will help I still use ice and elevation. At night getting sleep is difficult when your knee is throbbing away if you put a pillow between your knees will help ( not perfect but it helps ) The knee will heal unless your me.

I have a question about cars. I am thinking I will need a trickle charger so my battery does not die, and someone to roll it out of the garage once in a while, so the tires do not unround?

Great ideas @VSlowLife We are very happy with the chargers we got through the dealer (no worries about compatibility, size, etc). And tires do get square.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom