Home Alone After Surgery

Great forum! Completely agree - prep is the word - I am on my own, followed suggestions, currently 3 weeks post op, and doing great thanks to this forum and a bit of resourcefulness - folding crutches [$30 ebay] have helped with my stair challenges and portability - stainless steel `S' hook [off one end of a rubber bungee] works well on toting those `nija' containers - [manage with one finger and crutches] have only dropped my tea on the carpet once, ha! Has anyone else tried natto powder for additional vitamin K? Might be worth a look - [I'm not selling the stuff] - My best to all in 2017!

I stugged with the walker and carrying things too. The. I thought of what kind of shelF apparatus could be used through the two side rails. A long while ago, I had gotten a "lap" desk that you put on your lap to write on or put a book on and I guess I thought I would use it. Found it in the closet and miraculously it fit perfectly between the side rails and was just the right dimension to stay put. That was a god see D to me so I could take a plate of food and drink glass at the same time to my chair to eat. The bag on the front was good for the phone a hair brush, pen and paper, hand lotion, etc. Finding things to make it more convenient those first few weeks makes your life so much easier.

We bought a flat bottom basket at a dollar store and attached it to the walker with zip ties. It helped my dad to carry things around the house easily.

Is it possible to be alone and handle cpm machine?

Yes, it is possible to handle cpm machine. But you should have it set up on your sofa or bed PRE-op. So when you get home you won't need to do that. You won't have the strength for it. You need higher toilet seat. You may need a walker. An ice machine or ice packs. Get all these ready first. And good luck with your surgery. This Forum is a wonderful resource. Please ask any questions that you might have. Lots of knowledgeable people are on here and available to help you. Hugs!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you already had the CPM machine set up, you could probably manage.

However, the CPM machines aren't really necessary and fewer surgeons are using them. They don't make any difference to your final outcome.

I found getting meals from the counter where I had prepared them to the table was hard. I used a utility cart. I could load everything I needed on it and push it to the table . Sure helped a lot, no more hot foods spilled .

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

While cpm machines don't make a difference to final out come, I did find it "comforting" to use it and yes you can do it by yourself. Personally I didn't need a higher toilet seat--although having something to hold onto while getting on and off is certainly helpful. Try to have plenty of easy to handle foods on hand--if you struggle with nausea the blander the better--I lived on crackers at first.

From Tournesol: My surgery in June 6th, 2017. How can I be a part of the June Sunbeams group?

@Tournesol, just post your surgery date in the June Sunbeams thread and you will be added to the list.

Any tips for me? I live alone. I have a boyfriend who is going to come for around a week to help me out. I am going to have my sister take care of the litter box for me. Neighbors take care of the yard and water the yard. My issue will be, I don't have a recliner and my sofa is really low. I really don't want to hang out in bed all day long... I have some wooden chairs that are straight back and was thinking about putting pillows on one so I could prop the leg on the other? Any suggestions would be nice. I don't have lots of money to spend to get things.

There are furniture risers you can purchase to put under a sofa or chair to make them higher. I recovered in a chair with an ottoman. It was low, but had arms I could use to get up.

You may want to stock up on essentials, frozen foods or your favorites. Some find it's good to prepare and freeze a few meals because you won't feel like standing to cook for quite a while.

Using the straight back chair would work, although it's no ideal. It works. My only concern is the pillow that you plan to put on the chair. If the pillow slips off the chair, do you have a Grip and Grab that you can use to pick the pillow up from the floor to put it back on the chair? In any case, you should buy a Grip and Grab. I used that a lot to help myself with a myriad of tasks during my recovery. Best of luck for a quick and nearly pain-free recovery. Hugs.

Make sure that whatever you use, it's comfortable for long periods of time.

These are great suggestions. I'm going to be alone as well.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Great suggestions! I am going to be pretty much on my own as well. I do have next door neighbors that I can call if I need anything (mostly it's help with my three kitties!). But, it makes me feel better than a number of people have gone home and managed on their own.

Thanks for the info. Me too. I have a friend for 10 days but then it is going to be a patchwork of people. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to use a grocery pick up service. Many Walmarts now have an on line order and pick up service that is no extra cost. Someone can pick up the groceries you want without having to actually shop for you until you’re able to drive yourself.

I had mine done 9 weeks apart. I did great on my own with some pre planning. I had friends shop for me and take me to therapy. In three to four weeks I could make short trips

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am 64 and having a TKR in April. I live alone, in a 2 story older house, with bedroom and full bath upstairs, and only half bath downstairs. When I had my last tkr, I went to rehab and didn't live alone. At rehab, it took me about a week to be able to up and down stairs. For this one, my doctor says now patients don't go to rehab because of the type of anesthesia used. Did anyone else do this? Do you think that I will be able to get up and downstairs ok?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562