THR Hockymum10's recovery

I went to a few hockey games when I felt "borderline" up to it - as in, I felt about 85% confident, plus I had a lot of motivation to start getting out and attending things and seeing people. I used my walker because it gave people a visual cue to give me a little space and I also sat in accessible seating where available because it gave me a bit of breathing room. So if you are still using aids to walk, I'd highly suggest bringing them. And my wife did the same your husband is suggesting - dropping me off at a clear, short path to the door and then picking me up again.

It's pretty exhilarating to get out into the big world but it can also feel a little....much, so don't be surprised if you have moments of "whoa....this is kind of a lot!" Especially if your son is at an age where hockey games become very intense. No standing and getting red faced and pounding on the glass while screaming at the zebras, OK?

One other aspect of being out and about that was tiring for me was continually assuring people that I was doing well, recovering nicely, etc. They mean well, but nobody really wants to hear a full scale report on all the glorious little ups and downs of recovery. All that smiling and cheeriness and attention kind of wore me out - I don't know how celebrities do it. :)

Have fun and hope your son has a good game!
Hi - thank you my son had a great game with 1 goal and 1 assist so a great first outing for me !

When do you feel different to how you did before the op ? By this I mean I’m still limping, I’m still “rocking” when I walk, I still have discomfort on my left side, I still can’t bend down to fasten my shoes, my scar itches constantly- and I’ve been telling myself that it will all have been worth it because I can see improvement from the day I came out of surgery but I can’t see improvement to how I was before surgery. I still feel ancient and unfit and unable to do things because of the discomfort and limitations of my hip.
So I just wondered at one point will I have full movement and no discomfort ? Thank you

When do you feel different to how you did before the op ?
You are not even one month out of major surgery! Of course you are limping. Please continue to use a walking aid until that limp improves.

All that you are feeling will ease - but you need to give it time.

When do you feel different to how you did before the op ?
You are not even one month out of major surgery! Of course you are limping. Please continue to use a walking aid until that limp improves.

All that you are feeling will ease - but you need to give it time.
Thank you. It’s 5 weeks tomorrow and I’ve been feeling positive since I came out - apart from the first few days of post surgery blues- but I suddenly felt fed up and worried last night. I know the physio leaflet from hospital for weeks 4-6 says to try and walk some without a crutch but I assume, like you’ve said, it’s important to use the crutch as well to prevent a limp becoming worse ?

You are in the phase where it seems like things have slowed to a crawl. In the first weeks improvement is pretty dramatic. At around one month it feels like recovery stops. In truth you are very much in healing mode.

It's important to stay out of the habit of limping. A crutch will help you do this. There is no time frame for moving off assisted walking. When you start leaving that crutch behind it's a sign you are transitioning.

It's frustrating I know. The mind says move and the body is just not ready. Patience prescribe in large doses!

Hi @Hockeymum10,
I'm not sure I'm the best example but I've been concerned that recovery seems longer this time (RTHR was 10 weeks ago today) than it did with LTHR in 2018.
Then, suddenly in the last few days, I feel much more normal to the point that I often forget to take a crutch or cane even when logically I know I will need it (steps are still awkward). I am moving much more freely, the wound site now feels like a pad instead of a brick in my thigh and I can sleep for short periods on that side. I can climb into and out of bed without worrying about my legs although in and out of car it's still both legs together. I still take painkillers at night but rarely in the day.
As @Jaycey says it can be frustrating but you will get there! :flwrysmile:

You're hitting the time where you think it should be better, but it's not. We all have hit it and it feels like you've stalled and it will never get better. Then what will happen is you'll pass another milestone and notice an improvement and you'll feel good about your THR. Unfortunately this can repeat itself again and again especially if you join the ODIC. Loose recovery milestones are 2 weeks 6 weeks 12 weeks and out to 1 year. We seem to see improvements in and around those marks give or take a week or 2 as we are all different.

Good morning. For 3 days I feel quite dizzy when I turn my head and I sometimes feel a bit sick but not all the time. I was only taking one Nefapam in the evening but I stopped that about 3 days ago. Could the two be connected ? Thanks.

@Hockeymum10 Sorry you are feeling dizzy. If you look up Nefapam on the NHS site you will see one of the most common side effects of this drug are "feeling sick or dizzy. Sounds like you did the right thing in stopping taking this. But is your pain well managed? If not, please contact your GP.

@Hockeymum10 Sorry you are feeling dizzy. If you look up Nefapam on the NHS site you will see one of the most common side effects of this drug are "feeling sick or dizzy. Sounds like you did the right thing in stopping taking this. But is your pain well managed? If not, please contact your GP.
Thank you for your reply I’d been taking an anti sickness at the same time as the Nefopam because I was quite nauseous after my op and when taking the Nefopam. I’d tried looking up to see if coming off Nefopam makes you dizzy but I’ve only been on them 4 weeks so I wasn’t sure if I’d have “withdrawal” particularly as I’d reduced them from 3 a day to 2 a day to 1 a day before I stopped. I’m ok with the pain thank you ☺️ a bit of daily itching on the wound that I resist scratching lol and some leg/groin/bottom aching but not pain.

I forgot to kept my left leg straight (left hip replacement) and started to kneel down on my left leg and the pain in my knee was excruciating/ is this normal please ? Thank you

Bending my knee or even kneeling down didn't cause me any knee pain early in recovery. Straining the IT band can hurt in the knee area, for me it would cause a burning sensation at my knee cap.

@Hockeymum10 it could just be that you have not used the muscles and tendons on that side. Did the pain ease when you straightened the leg? Try icing the area. Knees get severely man handled during the procedure. But the pain is usually noticed just post op.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying the progress you've made since surgery.
Best wishes as you continue your healing journey!
@Hockeymum10

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying the progress you've made since surgery.
Best wishes as you continue your healing journey!
@Hockeymum10
Ah thank you. I see the consultant on Thursday for my follow up appointment so I’m waiting to see what he says.

Hello - how do I get to my recovery thread to post a question please ?
Thank you

You might find the following information about navigating the forum helpful:

Hello
I’m 12/13 weeks post surgery and return to work next week. What sort of hours have other people done on their phased return to work please ? I’m a primary school manager and sit at my desk a lot as well as getting up and down to the photocopier or to the classrooms etc.
Thank you

Here's an article from our Library Phased return to work. Work return varies with everyone. It is ideal if you don't have to sit for long hours. And if you can ease into full time versus trying it from the start, you will find it easier.

Big tip - don't plan on doing anything when you get home at the end of the day. Focus all your energy on work. Then home for rest and recuperation.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks