THR Hockymum10's recovery

Hi - thank you. I was dieting before surgery so although at the moment that isn’t a priority, I do at some point need to get back to it and I’d heard that you can weigh more post surgery.

Hi - I’m going to phone the hospital tomorrow but I was just curious if were supposed to get more of the tablets from our own GP. I’ve just taken the last two Senna tablets for bowel movement and I’ve suddenly thought whether I should have requested more before they ran out ? Thanks

Did you have a letter to give to your GP? The letter will tell your GP what medication you’ve been given, so you can phone and ask for more. If it’s normal Senna it might be easier if someone can buy it from the chemist for you.

Hi - I’m going to phone the hospital tomorrow but I was just curious if were supposed to get more of the tablets from our own GP. I’ve just taken the last two Senna tablets for bowel movement and I’ve suddenly thought whether I should have requested more before they ran out ?
Did you have a letter to give to your GP? The letter will tell your GP what medication you’ve been given, so you can phone and ask for more. If it’s normal Senna it might be easier if someone can buy it from the chemist for you.
Thank you. When I phoned last week they hadn’t yet received the letter. I have a letter to give to the nurse when I have my stitches snipped on Wednesday. I didn’t realise you could buy Senna so thank you for that information . I’ll phone the hospital and ask a few things tomorrow. Generally speaking, does anyone know how long we’re likely to stay on the pain killers ? I’m on Nefopam and I think they’ll run out soon. I don’t know if I’m supposed to finish the prescription and then wait to see if I get pain or whether there’s an average amount of time it’s advisable to stay on them to avoid letting the pain start ? Thank you

I had Codeine tablets and Paracetemol. It would be better to get a prescription before your pills run out so that you aren’t left without any.

Everyone varies as to how much/how long they need painkillers. My first surgery, I only needed the paracetamol, didn’t take the codeine, whereas the second surgery, I needed the codeine for a few days but then the paracetamol were fine after that.

It’s very personal so take them for as long as you need, don’t get in too much pain.

I hope everything is going well for you.

I'm coming up for 7 weeks postop - stopped the codeine and nefopam some time ago - rarely taking one at night. I got repeat prescriptions for both from GP. Still taking paracetamol, which we buy because it is inexpensive. I reduced the schedule to every 12hrs some days but revert to every 6hrs if the muscle aches increase as it has done over the last few days (not sure why ?twisting in bed at night?). As @Ocean says, everyone is different and there is no point in putting up with pain for the sake of it.

Hi everyone- when should we take the dressing off our surgical wound/scar? I’ve seen silicone creams are good for surgical wounds - has anyone used anything other than bio oil they can recommend? When can you start using oils/creams on the wound ? Thank you

I had Codeine tablets and Paracetemol. It would be better to get a prescription before your pills run out so that you aren’t left without any.

Everyone varies as to how much/how long they need painkillers. My first surgery, I only needed the paracetamol, didn’t take the codeine, whereas the second surgery, I needed the codeine for a few days but then the paracetamol were fine after that.

It’s very personal so take them for as long as you need, don’t get in too much pain.

I hope everything is going well for you.
Hi thank you

I'm coming up for 7 weeks postop - stopped the codeine and nefopam some time ago - rarely taking one at night. I got repeat prescriptions for both from GP. Still taking paracetamol, which we buy because it is inexpensive. I reduced the schedule to every 12hrs some days but revert to every 6hrs if the muscle aches increase as it has done over the last few days (not sure why ?twisting in bed at night?). As @Ocean says, everyone is different and there is no point in putting up with pain for the sake of it.
Hi thank you

Hi everyone- when should we take the dressing off our surgical wound/scar? I’ve seen silicone creams are good for surgical wounds - has anyone used anything other than bio oil they can recommend? When can you start using oils/creams on the wound ? Thank you
My dressing didn’t come off until I went in to get the staples removed at about two weeks and even then they put a new dressing on in case of small wounds from the staples and to prevent any possibility of infection. I think it was on for another week.
I started using bio oil after my 6 week check when I was cleared to do so, quite tentatively at first because the area around the scar was still quite tender. I use it mor vigorously now that the tenderness is easing.

You should be cleared by your doctor before you put any creams or oils on your incision. I think it's a little too early in your recovery for topical creams/gels.
I've used Arnica gel, it's quite soothing.

I didn’t have staples I had glue and dissolvable stitches both times. The dressing was taken off on day 8 and I was told to use bio oil or E45 Straight away. I tried both and prefer E45. I also bought silicone gel but it wasn’t all that useful. I think the E45 stopped the itchiness and dry/tight feeling.

My tape strip was removed at 2 weeks, no creams oils or magic potions. I did have a rash around the area with my first and the OS told me to use Hydrocortisone cream on the rash but not on the scar.

My dressing didn’t come off until I went in to get the staples removed at about two weeks and even then they put a new dressing on in case of small wounds from the staples and to prevent any possibility of infection. I think it was on for another week.
I started using bio oil after my 6 week check when I was cleared to do so, quite tentatively at first because the area around the scar was still quite tender. I use it mor vigorously now that the tenderness is easing.
Thank you

Hi. My bladder seems to have lost any strength. I can’t tighten it to stop a wee coming out. Is this normal and will it recover ? Thank you.

I'd discuss the incontinence with your doctor but others here have had same issue. Were you catheterized? I was and I think that might increase bladder issue but I'm no doctor but seems like it might have something to do with it. In meantime plenty of products on market to use, I've used AZO in past, not recently but always check with your doctor.
BTW, love your emoji, Snoopy is a long time love of mine!

I'd discuss the incontinence with your doctor but others here have had same issue. Were you catheterized? I was and I think that might increase bladder issue but I'm no doctor but seems like it might have something to do with it. In meantime plenty of products on market to use, I've used AZO in past, not recently but always check with your doctor.
BTW, love your emoji, Snoopy is a long time love of mine!
thank you- and hello to a fellow Snoopy fan

Hi @Hockeymum10,
I've had incontinence problems since my THR in January ( and if I remember rightly I did with the first hip op several years ago). No catheterization either time and it definitely gets better with time. Keep doing the pelvic floor exercises.

Hello - I’m at week 3 post op and this afternoon/evening I keep getting horrible sharp pains in the area of my wound/hip. I’m feeling worried. Is this normal? Thanks x

@Hockeymum10
yes, those nerves reconnecting
Sharp, fleeting weird zips and zaps that caught me unaware also.
Also burning sensation:flabber:
Happened about the same time for me and I was on the forum asking the same....
Kept on for a time, and got less and less frequent.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts