Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

I'm not sure why you would have this different reaction. I'm betting it has something to do with the way the medication is designed - to release the active ingredient (acetaminophen) into your system. Perhaps with "rapid release" the pills release a heavy-duty portion up front followed by the rest of the dose over 4-6 hours. I know with the "extended relief" Tylenol, relief also doesn't work after joint replacement surgery because the dose is released gradually over 6 hours. You never get enough of the active ingredient to do the job this way.

You are much better off taking just regular old Extra Strength Tylenol (2x 500mg tablets) for a regular dose, not to exceed 4000mg in any 24 hour period. You must also count the acetaminophen in any other meds you take (pain medications or cold and sinus meds) to be sure you don't go over the 4000mg.

I gave up on the 'rapid release' and I'm just using the extra strength. My visit with the surgeon has been moved back 2 months. I knew it would happen, but none the less I was bummed. I can still use the patient portal and they immediately respond.

Its a good thing I don't mind the stay at home order's. If I was someone who was always on the go, this would be difficult. Matter of fact I'm kind of using it as extended recovery time. Time to reboot so to speak. I did work in the yard a little. Standing and bending over is a no go, causes too much stress on the knee. I'm able to get on the ground (not pretty) and work from there. I only let myself get up one time, then I'm done. Getting up isn't pretty either, but I can easily do it - that is after I convince myself I can do it!

I've found a bonus with using a cane - it aids in social distancing. If someone comes near me I just hold the cane out - the immediately get what I'm telling them. I don't care if its ugly or hurts someone's feelings, I'm protecting myself and them. In the 4 weeks I've been out 3 times. You've got to love groceries being delivered!! I'm getting spoiled, but safety first.

Hope everyone is healing nicely and staying safely at home. Now go wash your hands.

Touching base and seeing how everyone is doing. Nothing new here, which is good.

I've learned I can't walk two days in a row - my back kills me. I'm assuming that's because I'm still not walking 'properly' and my gait is so off. As I've said, I am letting myself work a little bit in the yard. As long as I'm seated. I allow myself one time down / one time up. It doesn't accomplish much in the grand scheme of things other than allows me to be outside doing some gardening which is what I love.

I will admit I'd stopped icing. I would elevate my leg during the day a couple of time for a short time. And the lesson I've learned - that doesn't work. I NEED to ice / elevate regularly. The knee is still swollen and the ice is a good pain reliever.

I hopped in the hot tub yesterday. The warm jets certainly felt good, very relaxing. That is until its time to get out. I'm so afraid of slipping or falling that by the time I get myself out all of the relaxed muscle are again tight!! So I took a muscle relaxer and hooked up to the ice. Now that was a wonderful peaceful nap. I didn't intend on a nap - but it happened. And when I got up nothing hurt - that's a great thing.

Happy healing everyone, be safe and wash your hands frequently.

I'm continually figuring things out in recovery.

I've realized my back, lower back has really been hurting. Almost all day every day. In thinking about it I realized at home I'm never using my cane (which should be fine, except when I first get up.) I'm walking across the yard to the patio - its not perfectly flat. If I go for a walk my back hurts much more. I think I'm leaning maybe? I notice I carry the cane part of my very small walk because I don't think I need it. If per chance I see a neighbor out & we chat - social distancing - I absolutely can't stand for long. It makes me miserable, back wise.

The cane is the correct height. I think I a leaning into it. Maybe I should try one crutch? With that I won't be leaning. Probably part of this is my gait - ugh. The knee is sore but not off the charts. I'm amazed that I still have bruising, at 6 months. That's new for me.

No matter what, even at 6 months ice and elevation is my happy place. Swelling is still very obvious. If I skip a day the next one I pay for it, that I've figured out.

Happy healing to everyone. Be safe and wash your hands.

Sorry you are still dealing with that swelling and backache. I bet your gait is affecting your back. Try to concentrate on that heel to toe step. I still have a problem with bending over when I walk and that hurts my back. Try to stand up straight whenever you can, that should help you back.

Sistersinhim you are spot on. The last several days I've noticed I'm not walking heel to toe. I'm almost on my tippy toes on my right side. That causes me to almost wobble - side to side walk. All of that equals an incorrect gait and not heel to toe walking. I think I'm doing it because when I go from a seated position to standing I'm incredibly tight. So my first steps are that way - then I'd walk better. But all of a sudden I'm always walking incorrectly. Sigh.

Trying to focus on proper walking. I will admit to not doing my half a block walk here of late. It seems with Covid 19 the things I do volunteer wise have taken over my days. The organizations have had to cut back paid employees and the trickle down effect ends up with me. I'd come to that conclusion last week but just wasn't sure how to handle it. Then I realized I'm trying doing what they had let two paid employees go. I am all for volunteering, etc, but not at the expense of myself and hubby. When I made the call they totally understood - I'm a volunteer, not a laid off employee filling in.

So, I'm trying to focus on us and frankly my walking / knee. Last week I had 3 nights where the knee didn't wake me - it was wonderful. Gonna be a very long recovery with this one, that is for sure.

Stay safe everyone.

Touching base again. I had a horrible night last night. I think both of my calf's were playing musical calf cramps. The right one was worse than the left but goodness, it wasn't pleasant. I'd probably stood longer than I should (I was using our smoker) and in & out of the house quite a bit. Yes I was hydrated - as evidenced by the trips to the restroom.

I know I'm not walking heel to toe, but I'm trying. The darned leg is still so swollen and stiff. I still have bruising, after all of this time. That's something I've not had with previous surgeries. I feel like I'm mentally in a trap. I know I need to be walking, its just hard to make myself do it. Half way around the block and I'm really wobbling / limping with a backache tossed in. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but through all of these surgeries I'm in terrible shape. Zip for endurance. Then I'm scared to push myself because I don't want the knee / leg hurting more than it already does. My legs feel like tree trunks, lots of fluid. At least I'm not digressing, but I'm concerned about it.

I'm keeping our world very small with Covid. I've been to the grocery store, but usually order on line. Occasionally we'll order delivery for dinner or go to a drive through. I'm just not taking any risks. Maybe I'm overdoing it with the cautions but I'm doing what I feel is right for us. I've got to keep the both of us as safe as possible.

I know I'm not walking heel to toe, but I'm trying.
I know I need to be walking, its just hard to make myself do it. Half way around the block and I'm really wobbling / limping with a backache tossed in.
Are you still using a walking aid? If not, I think you'd find that even just a stick would help to give you some stability and help to improve your gait when you get tired.

Around the house, not I'm not using anything. When I do a walk - or leave the house, yes, I use my cane.

I finally get to see the surgeon tomorrow. As I always get, I'm nervous about the visit. Not sure why I get nervous, I just do.

I know he'll measure so I'll have some solid numbers to report back tomorrow. Extension wise frankly I'm very pleased, its better than its ever been. ROM wise I'm not so sure. I know I'm past 90, but I don't know how far. And it depends on the swelling, etc. I've not iced today, and man oh man am I paying the price. Think I'll have to ice if I think I'll ever get to sleep tonight. Of course I want to discuss the bruising & swelling I still have. And my gait - heal toe sounds so easy!! Today my back has really bothered me - it has to do with icing / elevating and my gait. Or at least that's what I think. And using the cane - which I know he'll say use it if I need it.

I'm not sure what all I should ask him. Any idea's?

I saw the surgeon. He was on a roll yesterday. Lots of funnies were said. He was 'very impressed' with my progress and knee. Even said it was better than what he'd hoped for at this point. He measured me - but not with great effort. He said 0 & 110 "I'm so proud of this for you."

He did the normal looking at the leg, feeling the joint etc. The bruising I still have doesn't surprise him. He's not concerned about it. The swelling is there plus a small pocket of fluid. That didn't bother him either. He asked about my day (ADL's) and thought I was probably doing too much. I need down time with ice daily - twice if the knee is sore (which it will be). When he asked how was my PT - I said great. (He knows I didn't do any formal PT - and was VERY fine with that decision, for me.) He looked me in the eye and said "your therapist knows what she's doing - but don't let her over encourage you." Then we both cracked up!!

He ask if I could easily walk 5 blocks - when I said no not easily he said "good, that's too far for you to walk at this point. I want you to walk 20 minutes once a day, twice if you want, but not every day." He wants me to focus on heel toe but not to over think it - which I'm doing. He commented about my cane and said - use it, its not hampering your recovery. We chatted a bit more & he said "you don't realize, I don't think, that this knee is a train wreck, a horrific train wreck. Give it time - your not half way into 18-24+ months of recovery. This knee's going to heal at its very slow pace because of all its been through. If you force yourself to do things, you & the knee won't be happy with each other."

I was pleased and relieved. I feel guilty when I take time and ice/elevate - I just have to get over that. The BoneSmart way works - I'm living it and my surgeon encourages it.

Happy healing everyone, be safe.

@eaglemom Great update! Your surgeon sounds like an absolute gem. Setting realistic expectations and taking the slow and steady approach. It works every time! Well done!

I love your surgeon, I wish mine had been like that!

I wish everyone's surgeon would be like yours. There would be a lot less painful patients out there.

Thought I'd do an update. Just passed the one year mark. Still swollen and bruised. I'd hope to be able to walk more by now, but I'm not. Part of me is very scared to try and push through it, that I'll admit. It does feel stronger and that's how I'm gaging it.

If I go to the grocery store or my little walk I carry my cane. I simply walk better with it. I don't always use it, but rather carry it. I know the surgeon wants me walking heal toe with a natural gait - with the cane I can achieve that. Without the cane I sometimes wobble, for lack of a better word.

I can't do stairs. Neither up nor down. Does it bother me, of course. But in the big scheme of life if I have to take stairs one at a time so be it. Since I've not been able to do stairs for several years I've just accepted it.

Right now I'm struggling with pain on the lateral side, right where the knee bend, down about 4 inches. Its bruised, sore and very tender. When I stand from a seated position the knee leg is very still. More stiff than it had been. Also a tender spot on the back on my thigh. I've tried to massage it but haven't had much success in doing that. I'll admit to not icing as much and wonder if the swelling isn't causing my discomfort / pain. Of course the knee feels good when I'm elevating and icing!!! This pain has me a little concerned, but then again I'm trying to walk a little more. I think they go hand in hand. I know this poor knee has lots of recovery to go and I need to back off and let it heal. Even sitting here typing this its very sore and that hadn't been happening.

There you have it. I know I need to ice/elevate more. I guess its a mental thing about laying down and icing - in my mind I "should" be past this, but clearly my body is saying "oh honey you've got a lot of healing ahead of you."

I’m so sorry you are still dealing with such issues. :console2:

Thanks Jockette. Sometimes it just feels good to have someone understand.

Today I've not taken a walk, but I did ride the recumbent bike. That does seem to loosen the thighs up. However, it does zippo for the knee. Probably makes it a bit sorer. I've iced / elevated this afternoon. I really think ice could be my BFF!!! (How sad is that?)

I also took a pain pill and a muscle relaxant. That doesn't totally stop the pain, but overall I feel better. I'd probably not had a pain pill in weeks. When the surgeon said 18 - 24 months for me I know he meant it. I'm a slow healer anyway.

Happy healing everyone. There is light at the end.................it will just take some of us a long while to get there.

It definitely took me 2-3 years to really feel better after my replacement, and I’ve only had one little partial, and it’s the only surgery I’ve ever had on this knee. I can’t imagine recovering from all the trauma your poor knee has been through.

Though my knee isn’t great, it’s manageable. I try to be content with that.

I still can’t do stairs, either up or down, unless the step is very shallow. I also can’t bend and then lean into that bend with any weight on it. Most of my discomfort is still on the lower lateral side, and I really wonder if something went wrong with the lateral release that my surgeon did during my replacement surgery. And, I still have that “hunk of wood jammed into the lateral side“ feeling, whenever I put pants on.

Gonna ramble here, sorry. I'm 13 months post surgery. I was told 18-24 months of recovery. In my head I get it, but my heart says I should be farther along.

As an experiment I've not iced in a week. During the week the knee is noticeably warmer than my other knee. It is swollen, which hasn't gone down, but seems to be worse. That tells me I need to ice / elevate. Right?

Secondary to everything I've changed up my eating habits and seem to have this new found energy. Not off the charts energy - but just enough that I want to do things, work in the yard, little walk, clean out a closet, etc. But doing those things - attempting to do those things - hurts my knee. Not only my knee but my thigh also. The thigh is tight. Also the outside of my lower leg is sore, quite sore. Of course I'm stiff when I get up out of a chair - that's not changed. I'd hoped by now it would have lessened, but alas it hasn't.

So I'm off to ice / elevate & when I come back someone will have a magic solution to this, right?!! I think I've just got to cool my jets, do less and give the knee the time it obviously needs to heal. Right?

I think messaging your OS with this info is a good idea. It may just be healing slowly, but I'd certainly let him know.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts