Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

That's a good reminder about the height of the cane, walker and roller. I know that mine are set correctly, but its a good reminder for others.

I've come to the conclusion that my knee has a mind of its own. Seriously, the darned thing has a mind of its own. Just when I think I've made some progress or something was going well, the knee immediately tells me its in charge. No matter how I try to ignore it, its there - calling the shots.

I'll admit to not using the compression legs because frankly its very uncomfortable. The session is to last 45 minutes. I can't handle it that long, I've been stopping at 20-25 minutes. The issue is that I'm so sore afterward that I don't use them on a regular basis. I feel like this swelling and water retention won't get better until that is under control somewhat. Which means my ROM isn't where it should be. I'm stuck in a circle here. Complaining about it doesn't help, but I'm frustrated with the situation. This morning I tried 3 pair of jeans before I gave up and went to cotton pants. If I can get them over my leg / knee - and that's a big if - they are so tight on the knee I can't stand it. (And these aren't those skinny legged pants either. I'll never fit into those, and that;s fine.)

This recovery has been much different from all of my others. Maybe because I had 2 revisions in one year? Maybe because the surgery was over 6 hrs long? Or maybe its going to take the 15 - 18 months to feel "ok" and another 6 more months to feel fine - as the surgeon has said. Since I'm at 4 months I guess I have no grounds on which to complain, its a baby knee demanding I be elevating / icing and that's pretty much it. Ugh.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone & happy healing.

Plenty of grounds on which to complain. You’ve been through a lot, and it seems only fair that it would be better.

I’m feeling that way right now too, though I haven’t been through what you have.

Here’s hoping for better days soon!

Do you feel like the compression is working any?

To answer your question sistersinhim I do think he helps. Before both of these last 2 surgeries I was very regular using it and after about 2 weeks I did see some difference. And the legs felt less heavy. When I hit the month mark of using it there was a very definite benefit. I just can't do that now.

I'm going to call the vein doc on Monday and get an appointment so we can chat about it. I don't want one medical issue hampering the knee healing. I also don't want further testing, etc. Not at this point at least. I think the knee surgeon would come unglued if anything was done to that knee. (Knee surgeon and vein doc refer back and forth so they have a rapport.) I'm also going to get an appointment with my PCP. I really think the Celebrex (the generic version) really did help me feel better over all. I just hate to go into his office because of the germs!!

I had the best of intentions, but it didn't happen. My week hasn't gone as planned!!! Hubby came down with an awful asthma attack Tuesday night. He's not had one in literally years, but a cold front blew through mid day and our Juniper count was sky high. That's what triggered it. By Wed his wheezing was constant, etc. (Now bronchitis) The pulmonary doc and I are on first name basis after this week!! So my weeks blown by. He's better, but so much coughing.

Since he's been ill my knee hasn't had the rest it needs & demands. Meaning the swelling is constant & extreme. I think this kind of hit me in the face, so to speak. Meaning I changed my routine ever so slightly, being home, haven't walked outdoors (weather related reasons) and haven't iced. (I have elevated briefly daily though.) And I'm paying for it with discomfort & pain. Maybe my knees a drama queen? Let's just say the swelling will not allow me to wear jeans.

I know what the vein doc will say - don't do compression until you can tolerate it. And if I call the knee surgeon he will say get off the knee, ice & elevate and then walk 10 minutes and repeat. Neither one will have a solution and I want a solution and results. Don't we all.

I've noticed that my thigh has really been bothering me - tight feeling and sore. As is my IT band. I've tried to massage them but nothing has helped. Makes me nervous since I've had one stress fracture. Ugh. Guess I'm just a mess!! A hot mess. A hot mess that needed to vent.

Its weekend time, that should put a smile on all of our faces. Hoping for healing for everyone.

It is only just over 4 months since you had your last revision surgery, and you had two in 2019. Your poor knee has had so many surgeries, that it's going to be more sensitive - call it Drama Queen if you want to, but I think it's complaints are justified.

This time, you got thrown out of routine and into doing more and resting less, because you husband was ill. Of course, you had to do everything necessary, to take care of him. We'd all do the same.

But now your husband is on the mend, so spoil your knee a bit, to try and calm it down again.
I'm going to tell you the same as your surgeon would say - rest, ice, and elevate that knee, as long as you can and as often as you can. You could even try warm packs on your thigh and IT band, at the same time as you're icing your knee.

So hard when we need rest and our spouse gets sick which causes us to overdo. :console2:

Ugh. Life just has to get complicated for us before we’re ready for it!

I hope things settle down. You need the rest for your knee and from the stress of caring for your husband.Better days ahead!

Thanks everyone. Sometimes a dose of much needed encouragement is just what is needed. I've cut way back on everything and given the knee the recovery time its needed. I've gone back to elevating & icing and that has provided me some relief.

Now if someone had a magic wand to fix the extreme tightness when initially standing I would be forever grateful. Its a tightness / pulling sensation in the back of my upper thigh to the back of my knee then onward to my calf. I'm meaning an extreme tightness. It had gotten better but now not so much.

I knew / know this recovery would be a long somewhat difficult recovery. Now, to totally accept it is another thing. Here's to another day of elevating & icing. Happy healing everyone.

I sure wish there was a magic wand!

A little vent and a gripe forth coming.

The vent: why oh why do people think you want to hear "my knee was healed in 3 months, why isn't yours?" Or "why the cane?" Followed by "man you walk weird." It's taken my strong constitution not to scream "just hush up." None of those comments were meant to be hurtful, but I've been battling this knee long enough that I take them as hurtful. HATE being defined by my knee, and that's what has happened.

The gripe: ouch. My knee, per se, feels fine. The muscles & tendons are screaming at me. My thigh in the back and my shin. Nothing brings much relief. I feel like I'm losing ROM and it wasn't great to begin with. This darned swelling has caused such issues. Still elevating & icing. I think I've let some of those comments mess with my head. This recovery isn't for sissies, as we all know. Then I know when I see the surgeon he's going to be disappointed - how nuts is that? :no-fin:

Now that I've gotten that off my chest I believe I'll be heading for the ice machine and my incline pillow.

:console2: I bet most of us have been there, just like you have. People don't mean to be cruel and certainly don't realize that their comments are hurtful, but they aren't thinking or empathizing with you. Years ago, after some of my knee surgeries, someone at work had been making fun of the way I walked. I finally turned around and told him how much he hurt my feelings. He said he meant it in fun and apologized. It felt so good to get that off my chest! He never teased me again, and we became friends.

So, I guess what I suggest is to tell them how you feel. It will probably make them feel worse than you have!

I’m so sorry you still have so much swelling and discomfort. I’m sure this recovery got old several surgeries ago. :console2:

I agree with sistersinhim, tell people that their comments undermine your frame of mind and remind them how many surgeries you have had, compared to “one surgery and they were so much better at this point.” Hopefully it will make them think, not just with you, but with others in a similar situation.

My husband was in a rehab facility recently, and my daughter was planning to bring her 8 and 10 year old children to visit him. She said they were old enough to start to learn compassion for someone in the hospital. It turned out my husband was home by the time my daughter got here from Ohio, so the rehab visit wasn’t necessary, and the kids saw Pop at home.

Maybe it’s time we taught others that we don’t all have a great recovery from knee replacement, and teach them about compassion for others not as fortunate as those who have an easier recovery. It seems when it comes to this recovery, we the patient, are totally held responsible for the outcome, by how “hard we work”. This is not true, as there are many factors involved. I totally understand, as I have often been made to feel like a failure with my poor outcome.

Thanks everyone. I know that no one is intentionally saying things to upset me, frankly I think they are as tired of my knee as I am. Its just sometimes the comments really sting. I'm sure we've all heard them. I'll live.

If you look up spectacular in the dictionary it would describe our weather today. Its simply glorious. I plan to walk to the end of the block, like usual. But then I'm parking myself on the back patio - I'll put the leg up but it won't be perfect. I'm thinking a nice healthy dose of Vitamin D certainly will help this funk I'm in. When I come in I'll do ice/elevation. I'd so love to be able to work in the yard, but alas I know that can't happen right now. :):):):)

Yes one day in the distant future!! With us being on Shelter In Place its rough not being able to be in the yard. Beautiful weather here, so I'm spending time on the patio.

Anyway, I had to giggle when I was hooking up to the ice machine. Has anyone ever worn out the Velcro on the knee pad? Will I have. It won't Velcro to itself anymore. I just went into the closet and grabbed another knee pad - problem solved. You can see how serious I am about ice - I wore Velcro out.:loll::loll::loll:

On a serious note, everyone please be safe and wash your hands.

I have a rather odd question about Tylenol. I purchased the "rapid release" extra strength and a bottle of "extra strength." My thinking was the rapid release might be nice. However, that's not what has happened.

I find taking the rapid release I get no relief nor benefit of having taken anything. Equally, when I tried the rapid release with Tramadol I got zippo relief.

When I take the extra strength I do get some benefit. And when I use a Tramadol and extra strength I certainly achieve some relief.

What I'm wondering is the 'why' of why the rapid release does nothing for me. I might as well take a tic-tac! Its just odd and wondered if anyone had a similar experience.

We've had several fronts come through and rain - thus the reason for Tylenol and an occasional Tramadol.

Be safe everyone.

I’ll tag @Jamie to answer your question.

I think I took the rapid release, are they the blue and red pills? I also took the plain white, and I don’t remember noticing a difference, but we are all different.

We’ve had a lot of rain in Delaware recently.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts