Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

Touching base and maybe looking for some reassurance? I'm at the 14 week mark. As I reported I know I over did, and I've cut back. To the point of clearing our calendars except both hubby and I have a scheduled haircut, we have nothing until 2/4. I cleared everything and am making my recovery our priority.

I've been doing outside 10 - 15 minute walks almost daily. If I didn't walk outside I made certain I walked elsewhere, ie, grocery store, etc. About two weeks ago I felt maybe the outside walking & riding the recumbent bike were too much to do both, so I do one or the other.

I have an issue with swelling, my knee is still huge. I'm icing / elevating daily. What I'm noticing now is limited movement - like more swelling than usual, which is hard to explain. I almost feel like there is a lump behind my knee. You can feel it, almost feels like tissue? Muscle? I think that is what's causing the reduction in my ROM. I feel as though my IT Band is tight, but again that's something I've fought all along.

The knee itself is sore, not terribly painful, but definitely sore. And oh so stiff. When I stand up it just isn't pretty!!! Its like my leg muscles have all tightened and they have to very slowly stretch out. Initially post surgery I had that issue but it had resolved itself. But its back with vengeance. Ugh.

Last question - I still have visible bruising. Should I be concerned that I still have it? This poor leg has been through it all.

I appreciate reading through everyone's knee / leg journey. Time and patience - I'm really trying to accept that and have that be my 2020 motto!!

@eaglemom When you are icing and elevating how long are you doing this and how many times per day?

If you have new bruising that is unexplained then I think you should let your surgeon know about it. When was your last visit with him and what did he tell you?

I elevate without ice in the morning then elevate and ice for an hour in the afternoons. (Tomorrow I'll do ice at least 2x's. More if you all think its necessary.)

This isn't new bruising, its 'leftover' from the revision. The last I saw him was Dec 12th. He didn't mention anything other than it was taking its time disappearing.

I’m sure you get tired of hearing this, but I truly believe that with all the surgeries and procedures your poor knee has had, this recovery is going to take a long time. I’m also sure that that is very discouraging. And I’m sure recovery got old a long time ago. :console2:

These last two revisions are both still less than a year old. I think this is key, two surgeries within 8 months, after other procedures in the last few years.

I wish we could fix this for you. (Where’s that magic wand when we need it!)

But, we are here for you, we care very much. Keep coming here to share your concerns and vent.:console2:

I think your totally correct - the knee had a very rough 2019. 2020 has to be the year of the 'healing knee.' :loll::loll:

Even though I know what I'm to be doing, its always good to share and see if there is anything else I should or should not be doing. This morning I was so proud to be up and at least able to move. Took my shower, blew my hair dry, etc and dressed. (All be it in cotton pants as jeans still won't go over the swollen knee.) Anyway I came into the room where hubby was and heard "well look at you, I just wish you weren't while as a sheet. Why don't you lay down." So I did!! With ice. He is correct, my coloring is white, pale however you want to describe it. Makeup doesn't cover that up.

It is absolutely spectacular here today. I sat in the backyard earlier today. I so wanted to get up and begin spring clean up, but I know I shouldn't. So I came inside. I did my 10 minute walk out front, but increased it to about a 18 minute walk. I thought all was going so well. That is until I came home. It never ceases to amaze me that a very swollen knee / leg can swell even more. Off for ice / elevation and possibly a pain pill. I want to be outside.......................... maybe I'll grill dinner tonight.

There’s nothing wrong with staying at 10 minutes, if that’s what works. 18 was almost doubling that. Maybe try 2 minutes extra at a time? We really have to accommodate these drama queen knees, because if we don’t, the knee will always win. (I know that very well!)

So what’s for dinner tonight?

Yes, this is a drama queen kind of knee, for sure. Today I've been very sore. Iced and elevated a large part of the day - to no avail. It was another beautiful day here today, but a front is coming in and my knee is screaming at me. It is so sensitive to the barometric change. I can hope it gets better, but I don't know. I've never been affect this adversely before.

Yesterday I toss a chicken on the grill. Along with potatoes & onions. Then grilled whole carrots. Entire meal on the grill - no pans to clean up. Yea me!!

Yesterday I toss a chicken on the grill. Along with potatoes & onions. Then grilled whole carrots. Entire meal on the grill - no pans to clean up. Yea me!!
Sounds great!

An entertaining thought for everyone. You know you've been using your ice machine lots when the frozen containers you've been using start leaking. :loll::loll:

Yesterday I mentioned that the water just wasn't as cold in the machine. But I didn't think anymore of it. That is until today when I opened the freezer and there is leaked water that's frozen all over the shelf. I get it cleaned up, and toss that container into the recycle bin. I fill another and put it in the freeze. I went to get something out and darned if that one leaked also, everywhere.

I'm thinking that's a clear indication that I've been using the machine. Think I'll order another set for 'just in case' when the current one decides to leak. I used ice packs today - I just don't get the benefit from them that I do the ice machine.

I had an ice incident this week also! :flabber:

I hope cleaning it up wasn’t too hard for you, I’m sure it was really annoying. I hope you counted it as what I like to call “natural PT.”

I've not posted for awhile, but I've been on reading. Seems like I've run into several 'issues' which I'm just not thrilled about. I am just now at the 4 month mark, and I remind myself of that several times a day.

The swelling really hasn't gone down much at all. Of course swelling means it limits my ROM somewhat. Prior to the Feb revision then the Oct revision I had vein mapping. Or rather they tried to do vein mapping. I was told my leg(s) right more so than the left had venous insufficiency. I have a compression machine with full leg compression that I was to do daily. Admittedly I've not done that post surgeries. I've not done it because its too difficult to even get my right leg in the leg thing. Last week I tried it and I can get it situated on my leg - but the compression, even though its very light, isn't comfortable. I'm not doing compression socks because they stop at my knee and that's uncomfortable. I even tried full leg socks, but its too much for my baby knee. I know by not doing the machine I'm getting zero relief from it. Possibly all of the swelling isn't surgery related but brought on by this condition. I don't know. I do know my leg feels heavy, very heavy. Standing for very long isn't comfortable either. Ugh.

I've also noticed the 'blues' have come back somewhat. Maybe not blue, but rather blah. That is so not my personality. I'm a pretty tough cookies and this is just odd for me.

I am having pain, and that doesn't help a mood, that's for sure. I'm doing Tylenol regularly but it doesn't really help much. Of course with the pain / discomfort comes a different gait which means a sore lower back. Which equals the blahs.

:no-fin::no-fin:There you have it, I'm expecting too much, wanting too much, probably doing too much and my body and knee aren't happy. Apparently I'm a mess!!!

The blues stink, and I hope they lighten up quickly.

Who can help you sort out what challenges come from the surgery and what from the venous insufficiency? And how they relate to each other? Would knowing that help?

I was hoping you were getting better since we haven't heard for you in a while. Your knee is sure trying your patience. I pray that the swelling will go down quickly and you can get on with your life.

Any one of us who have been through what you have would feel blah at this point. Recovery after recovery after recovery got old a long time ago, I’m sure. :console2: We are here for you any time you want to vent.

Thanks everyone - you guys do understand. Heliabug you certainly are on to something about my care. Knee surgeon referred me to the vein surgeon whom also is a pain management doc. Both physicians have said to do whatever I get relief from - that I know best. And they are correct, to a point. I'd like some basic guidance I guess. My PCP suggested I go to a different vein doc, but I fail to see how that would change anything. Besides I like this guy - they are all being ultra conservative with their approach with me. And I totally get that.

It just dawned on me that the ice machine I'm using, a Breg V-Pulse, also has compression. Duh - why didn't I think of this sooner? Anyway, when elevating / icing I'll put the compression pads on my calf's. That has to help somewhat, right? Going to try it this afternoon.

I spoke briefly with the vein surgeon nurse. She said the compression from the ice machine is totally different than the full leg compression. (Of course I knew that.) But I ask if it was comparable & beneficial for me. Her answer was a stern strong no.

She said to "try" to do the full leg compression daily. Maybe build up to the 45 minutes its suppose to be run daily. Also said to elevate as much as possible.

Neither one of those recommendations were particularly helpful at all. So I'm trying to cut back more on things and elevate / ice more. & I'll try the compression machine and see how it goes.

I hate to say it but I can literally feel, what I assume is water, in my legs. I feel it from my knee downward. Doesn't hurt but is an odd feeling. I'm having some other weird feelings in the leg - which is why I'm cutting everything back.

Happy weekend everyone.

I had pretty much given up my cane while in the house. But always use it when out and about, per surgeons orders. Then I realized while I'm home (which is where I am most of the time) I'm walking a little bent forward (which would explain my lower back being sore). So I'm using the cane some - not always - around the house and I certainly stand more upright and have a much better gait. That little change, from no cane to a cane has made a difference.

I hear that. Make sure you have your can height setting correct. I see people BENT over from having canes set to short and some holding them like ski poles from setting too high. Same with a four-wheel roller. I am only moderately tall and still have my four-wheel roller model handles at the highest setting and I am still bent a bit!

I don't care as I only use it about the house and to sit in for my exercises as needed but still.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom