Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

I thought I was doing good with the upcoming surgery. However, several people keep asking me questions and well, now I'm apprehensive. How stupid is that? It has to be done, I want it done - guess I just let several comments get to me.

Complaint over.

I have been following your thread and wanted to say I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery, and that you will have a smooth recovery.

Here is my first report since surgery on Wed. Pre-surgery the surgeon went over everything and off I drifted into deep sleep. The surgery was 5 3/4 hours long. He was very through (not that he's not ever through) and replaced everything. He used longer stems than he has previously.

I will say the first day and a half we couldn't get my pain under steady control. They ended up giving me another block. Also ended up changing the medications from hydrocodone & flexeral to tramadol & valium. Every 4 hours I'd get one or the other of those meds and finally pain was controllable. Not gonna lie, I've never hurt so badly in my life. But, that's in the past.

The hospital PT came in to work with me. Really didn't do much, but it did feel good getting out of the bed and moving some. I've been signed up for home health but I've not contacted them yet.

Here is a question for everyone. In the hospital they had me with an ice machine. But the bed didn't raise up so I've been icing on a level surface. When we got home and hooked me up we tried to get my leg elevated. It was far too painful to do so. So we tried a pillow and even that was too uncomfortable. I've always been able to elevate, but for some reason can't. The other issue I'm having is the compression pump things on my calves. It hits right where I'm terrible sore. So I've had compression on my left leg and ice on my right. I don't know what else I should do. Idea's?

Time to lay back down, I just wanted to touch base with everyone saying that I'm on the road to recovery.

It’s great hearing from you!

I think if it was me I’d just find the most comfortable position for my leg and ice it there. It’s very upset right now. As things settle hopefully you can elevate better. I had some trouble with my leg on my wedge for a while but then came to love it.

Is there a way to adjust the compression wrap on your leg? Do some gentle ankle pumps when you think of it.

Hang in there, your leg has been through a lot. :console2:

I've done all sorts of elevating from the stacked pillows in our recovery links, to just a small pillow when I was seated in the early days. I'm a month ahead of you on just a first TKR, but in those early days I also had tons of pain and my entire body hunched over trying to protect my knee (just like the charts Josephine posted of the energy drain.) Wow, I haven't felt that weak very often in my life....

Anyway, I agree with Jockette...find the most comfortable position for right now and slowly put pillows under your leg to build your elevation, it will come!

Here is my first report since surgery on Wed. Pre-surgery the surgeon went over everything and off I drifted into deep sleep. The surgery was 5 3/4 hours long. He was very through (not that he's not ever through) and replaced everything. He used longer stems than he has previously.

I will say the first day and a half we couldn't get my pain under steady control. They ended up giving me another block. Also ended up changing the medications from hydrocodone & flexeral to tramadol & valium. Every 4 hours I'd get one or the other of those meds and finally pain was controllable. Not gonna lie, I've never hurt so badly in my life. But, that's in the past.
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you had such a rough time! Your post touched my heart as you described the nightmare you just went through. I'm very glad that is in the past for you now. :console2:

I can attest that even when I couldn't elevate adequately, using my ice machine was very helpful. I used it several times a day for as long as it was comfortable (with a cloth between me and the cold), and it really helped in controlling my pain.

Last edited:
Good that you're on the road to recovery. I'm sure you already know this...but be sure and keep a little bend in your knee when you are elevating otherwise it will hurt. Also, ice as long as you can. I find it to be a wonderful pain reducer.

A shower - its such a simple thing but oh my goodness does it ever feel wonderful. I took my 1st shower earlier and felt so much better. Its the simple things.

As for the compression there is no way to adjust the machine. In the middle of the night it occurred to me its not only the compression wraps but also the weight of the wraps and the ice that were driving me crazy. I figured out that if I roll to my right side the weigh of them doesn't bother me. I don't understand why - but it works. I plan on calling the physician tomorrow to tell them about it - but its certainly nothing that is urgent.

I know tomorrow home health will want to come and assess me. I really can't get out of it - its insurance driven. However, I don't have to "try" to do whatever they ask!! Surgeon didn't mention any other PT besides home health, and I'm not asking. He has 3 exercises he wants me working on so hopefully I can just do those. I'm trying to be BS informed and stand my ground. In Feb I caved under PT pressure - that will not happen again!!

Think I'm going to try and watch a Netflix movie. Any bets how long I'll make it before I'm snoozing? Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will say this surgery / recovery has been challenging.

Just had a very interesting home health care nurse visit. Of course all of the natural paperwork had to be completed. I'm having such a time having the compression wraps and the ice wrap on and she had what I thought to be a very reasonable explanation. She feels the ice is more important (which I do too) but suggested how I can do both without it bothering me. It worked.

She doesn't like the swelling and really wants me icing and elevating. I had a tiny elevation in my temperature which she's not concerned about since I show no signs of infection, and am on an antibiotic. My BP was quite high for me - which she said could well be because I don't have pain under control. She said my body just isn't happy right now!! Ha, tell me about it.

I'm going to walk through the house then hubby is tucking me in for the afternoon. Sitting up in a chair certainly isn't comfortable - and not what I'm suppose to be doing. Later everyone.

Well poo. I've been running a low grade fever, 99.6 since I came home from the hospital. I've been very uncomfortable all day and took my temp. Its 100.2 now. I'm on an antibiotic. I took 2 Tylenol because I read through my discharge paperwork and could do that. Anything else I should do?

If my temp continues to climb I'll not hesitate to contact the home health nurse. Frankly I feel a little better now that my temp has gone up. Weird right?

@eaglemom - I hope your temperature settles down soon. A slightly elevated temperature (below 101) for a few days after surgery can be your body's reaction to the trauma of surgery.
I think you're doing all the right things and taking Tylenol was probably the right decision, too.

Of course, you'll let your surgeon know if your temperature goes much higher, or if your knee shows any sign of infection - increased heat, pain, redness and swelling.

Did we give you the recovery reading this time? You probably know most of it anyway, but I'll give you the guidance, as a refresher.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks Celle for sharing those with me. I felt better all day then about 7:30 I got flush. Temp was 100.7.
Clearly something is going on - I'll make some calls tomorrow.

I had my first home health PT today. Let's just say we vary on PT. I totally understand her "push through it" attitude but I'm not doing it. That's another conversation for tomorrow.

Ugh and good night.

I hope your temperature settles today.

Stick to your guns about not being pressured into doing too much PT. Your poor knee has been through so much. The last thing it needs is some pushy therapist telling you to overwork it. It's not lazy or unfit - it's wounded and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can start to heal. You can give it all the exercise it needs at this stage, just by walking around the house.

Yes the PT gal and I had a very nice conversation about how I wanted it to go. Frankly she was very agreeable to it and thanked me for being honest with her. That's a win in my book. She said walking around the house and toss in some tippy toes and that's all that's needed at this point.

I'd left a message for the surgeon about the temp. I just wanted them to know what was going on. I had a ton of work done, again, and want a good outcome. They returned my call immediately. Several things the nurse immediately pickup on was that I'm still not in control of the pain. Every 4 hours around the clock, period. I can take one, or two tablets. She also said I could cut one in half and see if that helped.

Ice and elevation are vital - like I didn't know that. But I'm really not to be "up" and around other than a walkabout around the house to keep me as loose as possible. If up I'm to do a prone knee hang as long as I can. Then when I lay back down do several heel slides.

In other words really follow the BS way. :egypdance:

I hope your pain gets under control. Your temp will probably return to normal as your body starts to feel better.

Day 11 hasn't been a particularly good day. Last night I had the "I'm NOT going to let you sleep no matter what position you put me in" knee. Maybe that's why today I'm just sluggish, sore and frankly not happy? Who knows.

We all have them, off days. And today's been mine. Then I remind myself I'm 11 days out from my second revision in 7 months. Tomorrow will be a new day and a new attitude.:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back