THR Hitch & Get Along<

Oh dear - I'm afraid I may have hurt myself. This morning I wasn't thinking and I kneeled down by the 1 year old grandson. I put my right knee down first and as I started to put my left knee down, I heard a very loud POP (loud enough that my grandson turned and looked) in my left hip. It was a bit painful so then I was afraid to try to stand up so I crawled over to the stairs and very slowly, worked my way up to stand. My husband had the other 2 boys at the grocery store so I had no choice but to stay upright and chase after the little guy until they got back. I iced it within an hour and the throbbing has stopped. I am experiencing some very sharp pain when I try to move my left leg in a lateral move (I crossed my right leg over my left to reach something and when I tried to move my left leg out to the side, OUCH).

Thoughts? I am feeling pain down into my left thigh (beyond the scar line) but it's probably only a 3 or 4 without movement. Possibly just the muscle? This left leg continues to frustrate me as it lags behind (I'm still unable to lay on my left side). I go see Hipster on Thursday so I'm thinking I can tough it out until then. We have the grands a couple of more hours so I took a Tramadol about an hour after I did it.
:what::chinstroke:

Hi @NanaKP
Just seeing this. I'm sorry you're experiencing pain. I hope you're feeling some relief by now.
With any luck the Tramadol and possibly some icing (?) helped. Let us know if you want us to
tag Josephine to see what she thinks may be going on.
Hopefully rest and sleep help ease the pain. :console2:

Thanks @Layla for your response. I am walking okay since that incident on Sunday (after icing and resting) but I definitely have a couple of sore spots on my hip. I walked on my treadmill the last couple of days without any increased pain, so that's hopeful. I'm bracing myself for hearing "this is as good as it gets" and I need to just deal with it then again, maybe at the 1 year anniversary of that "first cut", I'll feel 100% finally!

Hi NanaKP,
Sounds like you're doing better if you're tolerating the treadmill. Good to hear!
Experiencing what you did, definitely sounded scary. I'm glad you seem to be recovering.
Stay warm and enjoy the rest of the week!
@NanaKP

Hi @NanaKP! It's great to have you back and LOL at the escapades in your mom's community! I'm so happy you discovered the miracle of the pool while you were there. I'm about to head out for my swim, but thought I'd stop by and welcome you home. How is the recovery going from the cerclage removal? It sounds like your walking is coming along. I'm so happy to hear it! I've been thinking about you, so I was glad to see your update.

I'm bracing myself for hearing "this is as good as it gets" and I need to just deal with it
Oh no...I don't believe that.:umm:
I should think at only two months out from invasive surgery to get cerclage removed and all the issues you had with it prior...there will be lots of improvement to come.:tada:
Please don't rush this recovery. Disturbed soft tissue still healing and weak muscles strengthening.
A slow and steady pace is needed, in my opinion.
Wishing you all the best.:) :-) (:

Happy Valentines Day everyone - sending all kinds of hippy love out to all.:flwrysmile::loveshwr:

Saw Hipster this morning. He's not too concerned about the popping that occurred last weekend because it didn't result in lasting pain/discomfort all week. He does think that I'm still having quite a lot of swelling because of the trauma to the soft tissue on that left side with the 3 surgeries. He suggested a cortisone shot but I declined - I really don't want to do that (chicken, yep - that's me). He thought it would help get me over the hump but wasn't sure if it would create a set back. Hmmm, no thanks.

My husband & I both feel like I have stalled with making any progress the last several weeks. I will admit that I have slacked off a LOT on icing with any consistency (even when in Florida after my flight). I will get back to a regular icing schedule for the next week and see if that helps. In the meantime, I will endeavor to keep moving (though I'm DROWNING in year end and 1st quarter paperwork at our business . . . help me . . . ). I go back in 6 weeks, will have an Xray at that time and if necessary, the dumb cortisone shot. We'll also discuss PT therapy that will involve ultrasound stimulation (?) for assistance with blood flow and tissue regeneration(?). I think that's what he said. Old 'Hitch' is just going to take more time in healing, meanwhile, 'Git along' is EXCELLENT!! That gives me hope.

:loveshwr::loveshwr:Happy Valentine's Day @NanaKP
I think you know that it just is going to take some more time...I mean you dealt with so much, is certainly understandable that you want to be over this rest, ice, elevate period.
Do take this time...it will certainly be with it.
This too shall pass!
You are an inspiration to others who have had to have further procedures.:yes!:
You have lots of folks cheering for you !
So...assume the position:ice:

Thank you for your kind words @Mojo333 - I don't feel inspirational. I am, by nature, a pretty impatient person so I guess this healing business is no different for me. Didn't ice yesterday (raced home to help Jon fix an amazing Valentine's day meal for us) but will do that as soon as I get home today.

Trying to remain diligent - trying to look at the upside of it all. Have a great weekend!!

Hi NanaKP,
I hope you and hubs enjoyed the Valentine's Day meal you prepared together.

Good to hear Hipster wasn't concerned with the incident you experienced. I know it must have been frightening. Thankfully you're doing okay.

It's easy to get out of the habit of icing, elevating...especially when you're traveling, out of town, then busy with work and simply living life. It may help though if you're able to commit to icing / elevating nightly for a time. I don't blame you in holding off on the Cortisone shot. I'm curious about the ultra-sound stimulation to assist with blood flow and tissue regeneration. Sounds like something worth trying. Can't hurt...right?

Hope you have a great weekend!
@NanaKP

Good morning @Layla - I took the large ice pack to bed last night and am currently icing again this morning. I have told myself that I WILL get back into the habit of icing at least once a day, preferably twice because I do believe that it's important and can help. Since I have seemingly "stalled out" in making progress, I will do the work necessary to get myself back into gear. We had such a beautiful couple of days of warmer temperatures, now we're back in seasonal winter temps for the next week, boo. It is what it is though and we can't change it so I may as well stop grumbling and pull out the heavier gear to wear.

I am also curious about the ultrasound treatments. I think I'll do some research about it so that I'm prepared for my next Hipster visit. I do really want to avoid those cortisone shots if at all possible. I have told my girls that I really want to plan a spa day with them, something we've never done. We have several places locally that have some great package deals so I think to celebrate my upcoming 57th birthday, I may indulge us!!

I hope your weekend is a great one! I bought some bloomed tulips that have me dreaming of Spring! It's just around the corner now!

Hi @NanaKP
Maybe your progress hadn't really stalled, it does seem to ebb and flow at times.
I hear you on the weather. This Winter is getting long and it seems everyone is longing for Spring about now.
A Spa day with your girls sounds like a mood booster. I hope you have a Happy 57th Birthday when it arrives.
Enjoy the tulips!

Hi @NanaKP! Wishing you a very Happy 57th! Spa day sounds divine, especially with your girls. One thing that has helped me a great deal with breaking down scar tissue, releasing muscles and stimulating blood flow is massage. Any chance of booking one while you're at the spa?

I echo what @Layla and @Mojo333 have said, the soft tissue healing takes the longest and has its ups and downs in my experience. Be patient and kind with you and don't give up! It will get better with time and loving attention.

I added where I was a year ago to my recovery thread so you could see me at a time of despair and frustration. I realized I hadn't put any of that on the thread itself... It's good to share our stories of struggling, followed by our stories of overcoming and healing!

Hi @NanaKP
Happy Four Month Anniversary on Righty.
I hope all is well in your world. Let us know how you're doing when you have time. We'd love to hear.
Enjoy the rest of the week!

I am also curious about the ultrasound treatments. I think I'll do some research about it so that I'm prepared for my next Hipster visit.

I had the ultrasound treatment multiple times after my THR. I did not find it to make any difference. On the upside, it was part of treatment at my PT so sometimes I would request it just to eat up time and not have to make excuses to get out of some exercises. :whistle:

Spring Greetings everyone!!! Spring arrived while also making me 1 year older. I have been thoroughly enjoying the warm temperatures the last few days but like all good things, it will go away for another spring storm (possibly that white stuff) tomorrow and Saturday. I know it will be short lived but we're all a bit nervous after the Bomb Cyclone went through here two weeks ago and shut down the entire Denver Metro-Area.

I went to see Hipster today for a follow-up and another X-ray. Everything looks good, is healing and in place. The first hip is just pokey-SLOW in its healing. He really does believe that it's soft tissue that is still really bruised and tender. He recommended getting as active as I am able to including swimming, cycling, walking then follow-up in 3 months. Not to worry about over-doing it though, he stressed that if it hurts, STOP. I am now researching various gyms by us since the new Rec Center grand opening has been pushed back (again) to now May.

On that note, I need to up my cardio fitness so I can keep up with those grands and I am also needing to go back to FL to see Mom. My sister has been with her for 6 weeks and has told us all that she is failing rather quickly. I'm sad to know this but not surprised, Mom is 88 and has made it 4 years without my dad now. It's getting more critical that one of us girls be with Mom after the snowbirds all leave to keep an eye on her and all (she lives alone). My daughter is wanting to go with to see her and introduce her to the youngest. It looks like she and I will be herding all 3 of the boys to FL at the end of April (not sure there will be enough wine in the World to get me through that week with those wild ones - hahaha).

Looking to find a fitness club that is close to home where I can start swimming, walking/elliptical and some weights. I have never been a "spin-bike" person but maybe that's because I wasn't aware of how bad my hips were and I probably didn't like it because I was never comfortable???

Friday is almost here - the sun is shining bright (tomorrow will be rain/snow boots) so enjoy your day!

Hi @NanaKP
So great to hear from you, it's been awhile. It seems as though you're doing really well, wonderful to read!
Sounds like birthday wishes are in order so a Belated Happy Birthday to you!

Aaah, yes Spring has sprung, even here in the frozen tundra. I'm sure we'll still have a few small weather events move through just as you mentioned you'll experience tomorrow and Saturday. The best part is they're usually short lived this time of year.

Sounds like your visit with Hipster went well and I guess you'll just have to ignore pokey Hip for now and carry on. I'm sure all will gradually fall into place.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. It sounds like you have a plan in place to get down there and visit. I'm sure time with her is becoming precious, even if the the excitement of it all may call for a glass of vino, now and again. I used to call it "mothers little helper" as I fell into a comfy chair to slowly sip on a glass some nights after the kids were in bed...when they were little. What's my excuse now? :heehee: I don't need one, lol.

Safe travels to Florida and back home, if you don't stop by BoneSmart before then. You'll have to let us know how you're doing at the fitness club after a time. Thanks for updating!

Enjoy the weekend and stay in touch. :)

Hi @NanaKP, Just wanted to pop by and say you are not alone in the pokey first hip department! I have finally realized how much my first hip had to deal with after having second surgery nine weeks later. As I grow stronger with my physio and each side gets stronger (I'm doing the same stretches and strengthening exercises for both sides now), the first side doesn't complain as much. I'm thinking what your Hipster has to say about continuing with the strengthening makes sense in my world! I'm busy with three horses at home again, two large, one small, and I need to continue with my fitness if I want to start riding and training again. The physio has said for posterior patient me, I need to be six months out on both hips before getting on, and I know how fit I have to feel, strength and endurance wise, and I'm not there yet.

One thing I wanted to share was that my physio suggested at this stage of the game for me (well he suggested it about a month and a half ago, when I was over three months on second hip), that I try heat packs on tight muscles, as the heat helps the tight muscles relax. I have been trying that, with a lot of success. However, if it is still surgical trauma, the ice is the best thing.

Wishing you the best with your Mum's care in Florida. It is so hard when you are far away. I found the travel from the west coast to my brother in Bda to be quite brutal the first time, but I did notice the second trip was much easier than the first, and could see the improvements in my hips. Sounds like you will need some good wine for the next trip. Sending lots of positive vibes your way for the travel and the trip!
So glad Spring has arrived in your neck of the woods! Good luck with everything :flwrysmile:

Happy 5 month anniversary on your right hip :flwrysmile:

Hi @NanaKP! So good to get an update from you! Sounds like you are enjoying the spring weather and all is well with your hips. That is great news! How goes the new fitness routine? What are you liking? I have continued my swimming and am now walking more with the warmer weather. Getting ready for camping and hiking season this summer.

I'm sad to hear about your mom. Mine is 84 and needs more help as time goes on, but is fairly independent overall. I hope your visit goes well and you survive the grands with good wine!

Sending healing energy your way. I bet with the warmer weather coming and being more active, the soft tissue will heal and be less tender soon. I have found gentle stretching and massage helpful in my own recovery.

Best wishes, happy spring! Keep us posted.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom