THR Hiptopia!

I hear you about the thankfulness, in fact I love everything in your above post!! Steady as she goes and one day it all comes together.. congrats @Calgal
Isn't it funny how things just seem to improve overnight? Kind of like movie stars who are an overnight success.. after starving for ten years. :rotfl:
That feeling of waking up and realizing things have shifted towards the better is the best feeling. :yes!:

Such a wonderful post @Calgal ! :wowspring:
Everything really has come together for you and your happiness and thankfulness shine through your words. As you say, the last couple of weeks seem to have made such a difference. May you continue to go from strength to strength! :egypdance:

:hi:Happy four month hipversary, @Calgal (slightly belated)
Lots of improvement in strength and stamina up to a year in my situation.
You have done beautifully with your patient mindful recovery, I think:ok:
Hope all keeps getting better and better. :egypdance:

Happy fourth. So great to hear how you have progressed and your happiness comes out in your post.It can only get better from here on out and you seem to be taking all kinds of measures to insure that it does. What an inspiring post . I will keep the faith too.

What a lovely post! Such great news. I'm happy for you.
There comes that time to spread your wings and fly. It's been a journey getting to this point
and the gift of a second chance culminating in a grateful heart and a new outlook toward self care helps make the passage worthwhile. Wishing you all the best!
@Calgal

:wow: I’m inspired! I would love to figure out how to find that person who can give such informed guidance on gate, and all that your wonderful, observant Pilates instructor provided. Congratulations on reaping the benefits of your perseverance! May we follow by example!

Hi, @Calgal Boy, I sure hope four months will have startlingly good results for me as well. It's not that I'm doing that badly now, but definitely feeling like I've plateaued in terms of forward locomotion. You sound so happy and excited, as you should be, that things really and truly are looking up for you--2020 is going to be grand! Have a great day.

Thanks @Barbaraj! I've just caught up with your thread and I feel your frustration, stuck in that long wearying recovery plateau :hairpulling: Yes it will get better but it's a bummer for awhile. Stay positive!! Although I did feel incredible at 4 months, I must admit I landed in the ODIC last week after my Pilates session. I was feeling so good after the 3rd class, I stupidly just pushed myself a bit too much at the 4th one - trying to stretch my achilles and hamstrings on the op side which are very tight probably due to years of degenerating hip. Totally my fault. :censored: I was limping again when I got home and hubby noticed it. I've been careful this whole week but even with paracetamol I decided to cancel my appointment for tomorrow. I'm taking a week off and will definitely take it easier next time. And so we learn. Two steps forward, one step back. But I'm feeling stronger every day, and still very happy. :yay:. Thanks for popping by. :cheers:

Hip Hip Hooray @Calgal !!! Way to go!!! You inspire hope and determination in those (like me) behind you!

So happy for your success!

On a personal note, when did you go back to pilates? I have been attending twice a week since my diagnosis of moderate OA in my right hip 6 years ago, and even though I have had to make a number of modifications along the way, especially in the past year, I credit it for lasting as long as I did before my need for surgery- can't wait to get back to it (albeit in a significantly modified way at least initially. ) Are you doing reformer work primarily?

Hi @FayeL . I first started Pilates just 4 weeks ago when I was at 3 months, after being tired of limping. Have been interested in it for a long time. I knew I was very stiff all over especially after babying my new hip and found a 1 to 1 instructor who is also a certified physiotherapist. I knew I wasn't ready for any group classes. Wanted someone to really check my body alignment and go carefully. I am only doing mat work so far but hope to graduate to the reformer at some point as I have one at home I'd like to start using. Other than my self inflicted overdoing it last week it's been a great experience!

I enjoyed my mat Pilates classes, too, @Calgal. But the reformer? I had only one session on that, a split session with a friend of mine and, wow, that is really hard stuff! You are way more dedicated than I am! It looks like a scary torture device to me! I think I'll probably try getting back to mat classes after the first of the year, but for now I will just continue with daily PT exercises and trips to the gym to use the elliptical. I think it would be great to have a one-on-one instructor for any kind of exercise, and nice that you found such a good one for Pilates. Stepping back for a week and then resuming it again sounds like a sensible plan as I absolutely agree--two steps forward, one step back--but it's STILL forward locomotion over all. Keep on trudging!

It looks like a scary torture device to me!
I thought so too when my PT had me on it for an elbow rehab many years ago. I called it 'the rack'. :rotfl:. I have a little rebounder at the foot of mine and to be honest just used it for cardio when I first got it. Everything just lying on my back - no planks or any if that downward dog stuff! Ah. Hopefully eventually I'll use it again. I'm still tempted to join our local health center to use the elliptical and swim/water walk. Step by step for us all. :walking:. Happy Monday! We're due for a month of rain in one night tonight so battening down the hatches. PNW drizzle sounds good to me at the moment!

Wonderful, @Calgal I think we finally learn wisdom about pacing ourselves and I think you've got it! Maybe I'll try Pilates when I can get down on and up off a mat......:thud:

Well, I know you're going to fully get back to whatever activities you enjoy, @Calgal. It's just a question of time and patience. Exercises lying on your back sound good to me, although I use the downward dog to get up off the floor so it's an important one to me--I don't have the strength to shove up fully from my thighs so arching into a downward dog, walking my hands a little forward and then bending up from the waist allows me to get up if there isn't a table conveniently nearby. I hope to get back to doing planks again someday, but right now that's not on my radar screen! I'd gotten pretty good at them, just the one on your elbows, but I was able to hold it for 90 seconds before surgery. But, heavy sigh, just one more thing to work towards in the future as it ain't happening now! Have a great day!

Good idea about how to get up and down @Barbaraj ! @Calgal sometimes mentally I go by righty( may 1) in what I can and cannot do and I think you and I are at the same point but we're really not-- I have to go by lefty (6 weeks today) got shot down by PT with my hopes for the elliptical... he said too much pressure on my 6 week old
And he wants me to wait till 12 weeks. He said if I want aerobic exercise just to walk faster-:sigh: I love the elliptical in my air conditioned gym with the TV or some tunes on.... we do have a walking track there too so I'll do that.

@ahipgma you've had an extra THR just about when your first was ready to really zoom forward! It must be frustrating to have to back off a bit, but you'll get there soon enough with TWO fully functioning bionic hips. Hurray! Patience muscle, my dear. Your cardio and bingo wings can wait another month. :snork:

Hi @Calgal Just checking in on you. :wave:
How is the Pilates going? I recall you needing to step it back a bit and am curious to see what stage you are in now?
It's very interesting to me and sounds like a very good way to get things back to working in unison.
:flwrysmile:

5 month hipaversary today! Woo hoo! :happydance:

Doing really well, and still progressing. Which gives me hope. I've continued having 1:1 Pilates once a week. It's now been 7 weeks, with one 1-week timeout due to overdoing it. My instructor and I now have a good plan and we're taking it slower, and really focusing on my balance and strength on right side, which I must say is sort of pitiful still. :groan:I just can't seem to take my full weight on right leg yet. I think it's just muscle strength but she thinks it's that plus proprioception and habit from compensating for a bad hip for so long before op. Regardless of why, looks like it's just gonna take some more time. :bored:. But it's good I'm addressing it now or else it could become a permanent habit, babying my right side resulting in some strange contortions. (Sounds better than 'waddle' doesn't it? :heehee:)

Still stiff when getting up after sitting an hour but that might be age! I am doing 5000 to 6000 steps a day no problem, but if my spaniel pulls me too fast I definitely feel it later and it's paracetamol time. So walking is fine as long as it isn't fast. Have an early 6 month checkup with OS Nov 5. Can't wait to stride in to see him! Will post an update then. Till then, happy healing all you hipsters! :wave:

sounds like a very good way to get things back to working in unison.
Yes indeed @CricketHip ! Everything needs to work together. Balancing left and right sides is my big challenge but the 1:1 Pilates (with a registered physiotherapist instructor) has been well worth it. I consider it an investment in my future health, more than just the hip rehab.

Happy 5 month Hipversary, my hippy pal.
:yahoo:
I know your OS will be so happy to see his good work in action:egypdance:
Hope the rest of your week is sweet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks