THR Hiptopia!

I am tired of explaining to all "well-wishers" the reasons why I am still using a cane ...
Are you still using a cane @linette333 ? When do you need it most?

Amazingly I woke up yesterday at exactly 3 months and 4 days and felt considerably stronger and spent the whole day without an aid! Did 4 hours of gardening so my back ached in the evening but a couple of paracetamol and a hot shower took care of that. Just normal aches and pains; the hip didn't complain at all! :yes!: Clearly it IS a matter of time for all progress hip-wise. We just never know exactly what date that magic time will be. :what:

You did four hours of gardening, @Calgal, and nothing but normal aches and pains after that? Fabulous! I am starting to get out into my yard these days as well, although mostly it's bending and stooping to pick up dead leaves littering our lawn and gravel pathway. I did get down on a kneeling pad, on my butt, to dig out some weeds which had started to infiltrated some ground cover in our side yard and I actually did pretty well with that although, boy, trying to get back up was such a challenge--flipping over onto my stomach, doing sort of a crabbed downward dog and walking hands and feet slowly together until I could finally hoist myself up. I have lost so much flexibility and ease of movement. Need to get that back, but nice to read that someone who is 3 months out is able to do this kind of work without ill effect. And wonderful to be walking without an aid, I'm guessing--hurray for you!

@Calgal I am using a cane if I walk any distance outside and also first thing in the morning indoors until I have straightened up. I am definitely losing the limp and I think it is often a question of confidence with me.
Your description of your day really gives me hope! I dream of being able to spend a day doing normal activities and then not suffer unduly the next day. It really does sound like you are now getting back to a normal life - great news! :yes!:

Happy 3 months.This is a wonderful update and you sound so upbeat and riding high.Sounds like you have a lot of info on how to improve everything and to begin pilates --all things that will take you to that place where life is great and pain-free. I would love a flatter derrière. How do I get one?

I guess you are taking advantage of that beautiful weather over there I've been hearing about to garden. Our weather is great too but presently all I can do is deadhead my geraniums and tend to my parsley and basil --- but even that is something. So glad for you-- 3 months from now for me will be Fall,Thanksgiving, Christmas prep and all the holiday joy.
So if get back to the shape you're in now it will be a joyous time indeed.

actually did pretty well with that although, boy, trying to get back up was such a challenge--
@Barbaraj You must get the kneeler / seat from Draper on Amazon that has 'legs' that you can use to sit on, but when you turn it over to use as a kneeler, the legs become something to hold onto to help hoist yourself up. Not expensive and I couldn't live without it. Even let hubby (TKR) use it sometimes if he's good. :heehee:

Last edited:
Oh, nice idea about the kneeler/seat, @Calgal --something I should definitely look into, although with fall just around the corner I know my interest in gardening (AKA weeding and tree debris pick up) will go on hiatus until next spring when, I earnestly hope, I will have regained strength and agility sufficient to get back at it again without any assistive devices. Hope you're having a great day!

I'm healing well but not getting any younger @Barbaraj! :heehee:. I need all the help I can get! I also intend to keep using my grabber to pick up stray bits that fall in the corners of my greenhouse, and also for picking up fallen fruit. I'm going to rename it the litter picker though to take out the medical inferences! :censored:

Those grabbers are great. I am thinking the same. I have to drag a chair to get stuff in the kitchen cupboard and it was easier when I used the grabber in my early stages of convalescence. You sound like you are doing well indeed. Have a nice week-end.

True words, @Calgal We are all definitely not getting younger, but perhaps better now that hip pain is eliminated so there is more spring in our step. Today is the day when I'm going to ask my husband to put away the toilet riser and walker, back into the attic. I've never used grabbers as I was always able, through the golfer's reach, to bend down to the floor. But if you have one and they work for you to get into awkward areas, then holding on to them for the foreseeable future sounds like a good idea. Happy Friday!

Happy Friday to you @Calgal I hope you're having a good day so far.
My grabber has proved invaluable snatching stray wash cloths or undies out of the deep basin of my wash machine, or grabbing items from the nether regions of my clothes dryer. It was the one recovery device I was reluctant to use. Why? I don't know. But hubs kept nagging, "use the grabber, use the grabber". I finally caved and quickly began wondering where it had been my whole life! By far the most useful recovery item in my estimation. Thanks for all of your contributions here. I enjoy your posts.
Have a lovely weekend!

Last edited:
As promised especially for @linette333 I went to my first rehab/Pilates assessment & mini session on Monday. It was good! Interesting her looking at me move and even just standing, seeing compensating tilts and twists that I totally didn't realize I was doing! Turns out I have a terribly tight lower back (which I've known about for a long time) as well as weak hip flexors and glutes from the op and years of degenerating OA compensations. I am apparently 'hoiking my right hip out' quite a bit when doing certain motions. No wonder I'm limping ! I'm pleased with her assessment and gentle approach, repositioning my pelvis to neutral as I went through some basic moves. I've booked another 3 private sessions and will see how it goes from there. We are focusing on right/left side balancing with strengthening, limberness and more body awareness. All good things! Highly recommended. :thumb:

However, that same day I topped 7000 steps including an hour walk with dog, which for me at this point was waaaay too much. I ended up tossing and turning in bed and finally got up and took paracetamol and got my trusty bag of peas! :heehee:. I'm back to using 1 crutch when I get tired and not trying to force through anything (no 'hoiking' allowed!) :bignono:

So, the plod through mid-way hip recovery continues. :walking:. Have a good week everyone!

Hi, @Calgal Glad to read that your session with the therapist went well--nice that she was able to observe and correct, and maybe this is the start of a new phase of recovery for you. Sounds like the therapist is able to suggest moves and exercises that will help gently stretch and strengthen your body. You'll be tossing that cane before you know it! Happy Hump Day!

It sounds like you're working with a PT you trust and like. Hopefully she helps you work out the kinks and fine tune your gait. Sorry you experienced a ODIC drive thru. Sometimes it takes overdoing it to learn our limitations. With any luck you're feeling a lot better today and having a great Wednesday.
Enjoy the evening!
@Calgal

Hi @Calgal ! Thanks for the info on the rehab/Pilates assessment - really interesting. Is this a Pilates instructor you are seeing? She sounds very knowledgeable and it certainly seems as if it will be helpful to you. I know that it is possible to book private Pilates sessions in my area, so maybe something to investigate. I will be interested to follow your progress.
I am still using a cane for longer walks (probably not that long to some people!) and when tired - I intend to carry on as long as it helps.

Happy Wednesday ms @Calgal
I m at 2 weeks out today and lived to complain about it:heehee:.
I spoke with my PT guy today who's been visiting me at home and he recommended outpatient PT close to my home that gets fab reviews.
Your post was so interesting because the educated eye can see things to really help us that we have no idea exist, ie compensatory moves from the OA. I'm going to give myself a few weeks to do the gentle stretches and then pay them a visit.
Want to get all the good out of this surgery I can!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts