HipsterKat's THR Pre-Op Thread

HipsterKat

Country
United States United States
Hi all. I'm new here and have been exploring all the great resources. I had a temporary hip put in several months ago due to infection/septic arthritis in my natural hip (occurred while I was in the hospital for another issue). Did the 6 weeks of IV antibiotics. Recent aspiration looks good. Have my pre-op meeting next week. Surgery scheduled for May 20.

@HipsterKat Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you have been through a struggle with infection. We have several member traveling this route. @Fractured @Izabel and @clodaghcov . There are some good news stories! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction if the aspiration looks good.

Which hip are you having replaced? I'll pop your surgery date into your signature for you.

Hi @HipsterKat and welcome.

Sorry you developed an infection. What date did that occur so it can be included in your signature? I assume it was an antibiotic spacer you had placed.

Wishing you well for your pre-ops and please keep in touch so we know how you are doing.
Sending good vibes from across the pond. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Thanks! Date of infection is unclear, guessing January 2019. Yes, antibiotic hip spacer was put in.

Welcome to the group. This is a great place for information and sharing our fears and hopes.

Hi :wave:
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry you've endured an infection but it sounds like things are looking up.
Less than two weeks until the healing begins. Stop back often, we'll be here to support and encourage you while you're on the journey. A great week to you!
@HipsterKat

I pray your new replacement goes well and no more infections for you. That must have been very stressful to go through, glad you can now move forward to a brand new start....:SUNsmile:

A couple of questions for anyone who might be able to chime in...

1. Has anyone else developed septic arthritis / infection in their natural hip (not a prior THR)? I was in the hospital for a gall bladder issue for nine days and somewhere along the line this happened. No one seems sure of exact sequence.

2. I feel like there is a little piece of... something inside my skin at the top of my incision from spacer surgery (Feb 17). It feels like a splinter or a little shard of metal, and really zings if I touch it from the wrong angle. Any ideas?

@HipsterKat I'm going to tag our medical expert @Josephine for her input on your questions.

A question for you - did you have stitches to close the surgical wound after your spacer surgery?

Has anyone else developed septic arthritis / infection in their natural hip
Oh it happens quite often and generally for no apparent reason. It's an extremely painful experience as I'm sure you now know.
I feel like there is a little piece of... something inside my skin at the top of my incision from spacer surgery (Feb 17). It feels like a splinter or a little shard of metal, and really zings if I touch it from the wrong angle. Any ideas?
Indeed I have - it's an internal suture. The thread, having been soaked with blood and dried, takes on the characteristic of wire! Is there anything protruding from your skin at this point?

Thanks Josephine. Nothing is protruding from the skin, but it is a little swollen.

And yes, did have stitches -- but supposedly dissolving ones.

My son had a nasty gash in his cheek when he was two. Stitched up with dissolving stitches. When he was about 9 a doc noticed a hard spot on his scar and pulled out a small piece of stitch out. Who'd figure?

Surgery is on Monday. Yikes!! So ready for this to be behind me.

:hi:You've had quite the wait, so I can only imagine you are more than ready.
It will be good to get this hip recovery show on the road.:ok:

Bye bye hip pain!:egypdance:
See you on the Healing Side!:tada:

Wishing you the best today, hope you have a wonderful nap while they get you worked on and a painless as possible recovery. See you on the flip side.
:yahoo:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee