Lounge Doctor

THR Hipster_Chics Wild Ride Round 2 Recovery: Superpath THR-L

hipster_chic

Country
United States United States
Hello all.
First of all, my apologies for the delay in this post! I had my THR-L done by Dr Elvis Grandic, Boyton Beach FL on 8/18. I posted a quickie thread under the pre-op section, but in a nutshell, this surgery was a bit more challenging than my THR-R, which was done in 2014. You can read my initial post op report here: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...e-round-2-thr-l-superpath.65872/#post-1506680

Several factors that I believe influenced my experience this time around:
1. COVID-19: Bethesda West hospital had no beds available due to C-19, so the hospital had make-shift rooms in a section outside of their recovery area. While this was fine with me, I didn't have my own bathroom, which made it challenging to use the restroom, get washed etc - especially immediately post op. The nurses at the hospital, however, were ROCK STARS, and really went above and beyond to make things as good as they could be. Seriously I cannot say enough good things about the nursing staff at Bethesda West!
2. Florida House Bill 21 (HB21): enacted in 2018, limits/restricts opiate use for patients. This new law significantly (and negatively) impacted my immediate recovery - as well as my first two weeks recovering at home. I understand that opiates are addictive but when a patient has significant pain, they should carefully manage the patient instead of imposing an "across the board" restriction. I truly believe if I had been medicated as I was back in 2014, I would've had a much better immediate post-op experience at the hospital and during my first week at home.
3. Hospital Anesthesiologist: sadly, the hospital anesthesiologist truly dropped the ball during surgery. I had such a great experience back in 2014, so this truly caught me off guard. While the spinal block worked fine (thankfully), I woke up in the middle of surgery while Dr Grandic was sawing and tugging at my hip. Yes, seriously. While I didn't experience pain, the experience (pulling and sawing!!!) was initially horrifying, but I just calmed myself down (knowing there was nothing I could do) and just let Dr.Grandic do his thing. The anesthesiologists response to me was ridiculous (she first ignored me, and then angrily told me to "keep quiet". If my bone wasn't being sawed at that moment, I think I would've bonked her on the head with the implant :heehee:). I've since reported her to the hospital, and of course, Dr. Grandic felt horrible about it afterwards. The hospital assigns the anesthesiologists, and sadly, I got stuck with someone who really shouldn't be working with patients in an OR!!

Ok, that was all the rough stuff.

Now, the good news:
1. Dr. Grandic is amazing! I believe he is eventually going to open his own surgical pavilion at some point in the future, which I believe will greatly improve the overall experience (he won't have to worry about wonky anesthesiologists being assigned to his OR, etc!). And of course, his work is just the best. I'll try and post an X-Ray of my hips, and you'll see that they're pretty much right on the money as far as being even.

2. My arthritic hip pain is GONE (hip-hip-hooray....sorry couldn't resist!).

3. Healing: I'm also healing very nicely! I was up and walking same day as surgery (actually within hours, before the breakthrough pain started), used a walker for the first 3 weeks, and now, at just over 8 weeks, am using a cane when needed. I completed a week of physical therapy and can go back for more if needed, but between COVID & how I'm feeling, I've just been doing the work at home and feel like I'm OK without it.

My incision healed nicely (no stitches! Dr Grandic uses glue....hooray) and my scar is only about 4in L and I expect it will eventually fade away just like my THR-R scar.

I'm off all pain meds (not that I had anything great to begin with!) but am taking Meloxicam/Mobic 1x day, and Tylenol if I really overdo things.

There's no major restrictions with Superpath, so I've been sleeping on my non surgical side since about 4 weeks post op. I can now lay on my surgical side for about 30mins at a time, but haven't really been pushing it as I know that when I'm fully-healed, I'll be able to lay on without any issues.

4. ICE ICE BABY!!!! Don't forget the Bonesmart mantra!! I found an Iceman cooler at a local thrift store for $15 and it's been the absolute BEST thing for recovery!!! If you don't have a cooler, then make ice bags - but trust, using ice and elevating is SOOOO important, especially during your first few weeks at home.

Ok, I sincerely hope you find this info helpful and thanks to everyone for your kind words and advice!! I'll try to post more updates soon :)

Attachments

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
:welome:Welcome to recovery!
I’m sorry to read about the incident with the anesthesiologist and that the limits / restrictions on opiates had a negative effect on your very early recovery.
Thankfully, at almost two months post op that is now behind you and you seem to be doing very well! I will leave our Recovery Guidelines as some of the info may still pertain.
Thanks for taking the time to share an update. I wish you a smooth recovery.
Stay in touch :)

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

2hipreplacement

Country
Sorry in prior post referred to hipster_chic as Jaycee. What medicines were you given to use at home based on Florida's laws? In my first THR done many years ago I don't remember using anything but Tramadol. Dr. Grandic said he will prescribe percoset. I am not familiar with the name of the medicine you are taking. Did you get an epidural? Regional block? Just local anesthesia? Unfortunately, I can't use anti-inflammatories due to what they do to my stomach - I don't know if you took or take them. Again thank you so very much hispter_chic for your two post surgery posts. I am planning to have a Superpath THR with Dr. Grandic in less than two months. I will make sure fhere is a bed for me or delay the surgery. Also, I will chat with the hospital beforehand re the anesthesiologist to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
While I didn't experience pain, the experience (pulling and sawing!!!) was initially horrifying,
Although very rare, I had the same experience during my LTHR. Yes, you just have to stay calm and will yourself back to sleep.

Just before going into my RTHR I told the anaesthetist I didn't want to see or hear anything. It was magic!

Happy healing @hipster_chic !

OP
OP
hipster_chic

hipster_chic

Country
@2hipreplacement Meloxicam/Mobic is an anti-inflammatory drug.

At home, I was prescribed Oxycodone 5mg 3x/day for 14 days, which really didn’t help relieve the pain. As a comparison, I was prescribed Dilaudid for the first month post op in 2014 and it provided much better pain relief.

For surgery, I received a spinal block (most likely Lidocaine) and Propofol IV. The block worked fine, however I suspect that the anesthesiologist didn’t give me enough propofol (or worse, ran out & just allowed me to lay there for the surgery).

I had the same anesthesia (spinal block & Propofol) in 2014 and was out for the entire procedure.

Good luck to you & yes, if you find that the hospital is still “full” due to COVID, I would recommend postponing surgery until things calm down a bit.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
irving95
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom