THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Well, here goes nothing
One of my favorite sayings, since childhood, whenever I am about to do something I consider brave. :surfer:

It usually turned out well, and I hope your return to work will as well. Glad you have options. I think they may make you feel a bit mentally stronger.

I think it was Mojo333 who sat with ice packs at work when she returned, if my memory is correct.

Hello @Hipster64 :wave:
Best of luck tomorrow.
I hope it all goes well and you have a great first week back at work.
Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Until then....all the best!

:wave: @Hipster64! Hope your first day back went well, going to leave you some :ice: in case you need it! Good to know that you have looked at your work situation through various options and know you can escape the rat race if you do decide. I'm happy I didn't go back to my position, even part time, actually all three of us that made up the team have moved on. I still may decide to do something part time in the future but for now just taking it a day at a time.

Hi everyone! My first day back at work went pretty swimmingly. A lot of folks were happy to see me and there were hugs and handshakes all around. I had quite a few people to catch up with! Of course the usual workplace drama still exists but that's par for the course at any workplace.

I have already been to the gym eight times since my PT discharge and so far, no problems. I've noticed a little more pain on the right side than usual-I'm attributing it to my new workout. I'll keep an eye on it. However, I am still totally painkiller-free which makes me very happy.

I will continue to check in, as my claim from CIGNA is still under appeal and I will let you know what the status is. Again, thank you all for your invaluable support!

Hey @Hipster64 :wave:
Thanks for updating. It sounds like you received a warm welcome from your co-workers upon your return. I'll bet they missed you. Good to hear it went well for you, I hope you're still holding up now that you've have a few more days under your belt. Go Hipster! :yes!:

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Warm wishes for a wonderful weekend. :SUNsmile:

@Layla: It's going okay at work. A lot of changes have occurred during my leave of absence and many people have been very vocal about their dislike of them. I'm not crazy about most of them either but I look at it this way: I can retire in November if I really want out. Ironically, I got a letter today from the company Pension Board confirming I am now old enough to receive my monthly pension benefit and can collect it anytime. Unfortunately, I have to work 20 years for the health insurance and I just hit 19 years this past November, which is why I must remain a little longer to take full advantage of all retirement benefits. So I'm just biding my time.

Helloooo @Hipster64 I am bummed to read that you are needing to file an appeal to get your your disability pay! aargh! So annoying.. but I have faith that you will get it resolved.

Your return to work sounded like it was a natural progression of things.. good for you!
Happy New Year! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

I can retire in November if I really want out

Nice option to be able to open a new chapter in life if need be.
I hope this week back to work feels a little easier than the last
Wishing you a pleasant Sunday and week to come. :)

@Layla: I hope that you as well as everyone else have a wonderful week!

Still keeping up with the gym 3 times a week as instructed by PT, and I learned the machine I am using in place of the elliptical is an arc climber. Still walking my 5 laps on the days I don't go to the gym. Since I don't start work until 9:30 AM, I get up earlier and walk around 7:45-7:50. Also, since my street is so small, I simply throw on a winter coat over my pajamas (which usually consist of yoga pants and an oversized long-sleeve T-shirt this time of year) and wear my ankle high, heavy rubber soled slippers. Then afterward, I eat breakfast and get dressed for work. Easy routine!

I hope work is easier this week too. Like I said, the drama started almost immediately. I feel like I am in an ABC Afterschool Special. (Dating myself with that reference!) Whispering, gossiping, this one mad at this one or not talking to this one, tattletales, people jockeying for promotions....ugh!!!!!! I missed NONE of that on my leave of absence, believe me. Again, just biding my time and waiting for my husband's retirement to settle out before I even think about mine.

A bright spot for my dad is that I have every other Tuesday off because I work from home on that corresponding Saturday, and this Tuesday happens to be it. So I told him we'd go out for breakfast like we did on my leave. He seemed to be happy with that and it's always nice to have something to look forward to!

Aww, breakfast with your dad. I do that as often as I can myself. Good times and memories we will cherish one day. Enjoy!
I hope you have a great week. :)
@Hipster64

Well, I got my appeal decision back. To no one's surprise, it was denied. The rationale for not paying me further was that per a board certified orthopaedic surgeon that reviewed my records (along with the required registered nurse), that it only takes 3 months to recover from a hip replacement. Since my September replacement was done on 9/9, I should be all better and 100% by 12/8. So basically, since I got paid by CIGNA until 12/10, I should shut up and be grateful.

I checked the doctor out and he is a respected ortho in the Pittsburgh PA area with four locations, and does not appear to be a "hired gun" from my cursory investigation.

I am not pursuing further at this point. I am back to work and have finally begun collecting a full paycheck, and am finally starting to build my savings back up. Besides, they don't tax the short-term disability and I paid the price on my 2019 income tax returns-for the first time since I began working in 1981, I had to pay in. Luckily it was only the state. I don't need any more tax-free money from CIGNA wreaking havoc on my finances again. So as far as this saga goes, stick a fork in it-it's DONE!

Last edited:
I agree with, Bruce, wholeheartedly. You have a healthy attitude in moving forward @Hipster64 I'm sorry you had the experience and for the outcome. Wishing you all the best going forward.
I hope your hips are doing well and you're enjoying the weekend so far. :SUNsmile:

@BruceH @leejaa @Layla : Thanks all. It was tough getting back into the work groove but I managed. Again, I didn't miss the cattiness, gossiping, backstabbing and jockeying for promotions while out on leave and to experience that again was jarring. But that's life in the workplace and it's never going to change, whether I'm there or not.

I have already begun making plans for trips again now that my hips are doing so well. We plan on going to Canada in May, and I have rescheduled the July Bronx Zoo day trip and Omaha trip that I had to cancel last year due to surgery.

I am still walking five laps on my street four days a week and going to the gym three days a week. I learned the machine I have been using in lieu of the elliptical has a name: "Arc Climber".

Right now, I am only interested in moving on and moving forward! That's all I can do.

Last edited:
Well done you for getting back to work and moving on with life after all the insurance hassles. :groan: I took early SS retirement about 5 months before my op and haven't missed a minute of workplace politics. Sometimes have nightmares about work...that's a sign it was time to go! Leaving the work world is a big change, but have finally recovered enough to start doing some creative things I've wanted to do for a long time as well as a good ol' sort out of clutter. Hoping you can take the plunge soon and enjoy your new hip, new life! :yes!:

All sounds very positive and you have such a great attitude. One of the best things about returning to work for me was knowing that I could, at a push, retire early. Yes would take a financial hit but nice to know. Hip ops and enforced inactivity and time away from work really does give one time to think!

Best of luck and glad you are recovering so well. Gym for you and swimming for me :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom