THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Hello @Hipster64 :wave:
However, he did note that he has sent laborers back to work on a hip replacement faster than me. (I wanted to ask how many hips these laborers had done but I refrained).

Good point!

I hope you get all of your personal issues worked out soon. Wishing you peace of mind as you navigate it all. I sense your frustration and I'm sorry you're feeling that way.

Wishing you a good Friday and a relaxing weekend!

Thanks all! I just heard from a supervisor at CIGNA, who called me back to further discuss the issue. I advised I went to the OS and he will be faxing over more details early next week. The supervisor apologized for how the claim was handled and that I should never have heard about this first from a doctor. She reiterated that there was no record of my attending PT, and that they will request the notes ASAP. I asked if there was any way the claim could be extended an additional week while being reviewed since none of this would have happened but for the claim rep's ineptness. The supervisor said she would run it by a manager since they did drop the ball, but I am not holding my breath!

So sorry this is still dragging on. They are so happy to take our premiums, just don't try to cash in on the benefits. :hairpulling:

Well, you've certainly been "fighting the good fight", @Hipster64 But, you are right that nothing can get done over the weekend so give yourself permission to get out there and enjoy yourself. Sounds like the latest call with CIGNA was more positive and good you got an apology for how things had been handled--you deserve that and more! Fingers crossed that this will all get straightened out quickly and you can refocus your entire attention of recovering and not stressing out over this nonsense. Take care of yourself, that is the most important thing right now. Cheers!

So...the CIGNA saga continues. Stopped in at the OS to see if he faxed over the detailed note for the 11/8 Friday visit. The desk people had no knowledge of it and kept referring back to 10/29. Luckily his assistant, who truly is amazing, said she would put a bug in his ear about it.

I signed the release at PT today to get the records myself. Unfortunately, I may not get them until Thursday. I spoke to the supervisor at CIGNA and advised her of this, and told her that I am not the only patient in his office so they cannot drop everything at a moment's notice to copy my records for me. However they do understand the urgency and will help out as best they can-both PT and CIGNA.

And of course they cannot pay me past 11/5-their policy is to only pay one week post the last visit they have record of which is 10/29. So my plan is to go back to the OS and have them sign a disability form for 11/8. If nothing else, that might buy me time to 11/15. I further refuse to send anything to the original claim representative, which I told the CIGNA supervisor. So now my claim has escalated to the supervisory level and she will be the one to handle if at this point.

FWIW, PT does not agree I should return to work nor be released from their care. They have the OS's order for back PT and I will have a combined back/hip evaluation on 11/26. With all this running around and dealing with insurance, I feel like I'm back at work now!

Stopped into the OS again today to drop off yet another disability form from CIGNA....and lo and behold, the woman at the desk was able to pull up the latest OS note which was very detailed and answered all of CIGNA's questions. She was kind enough to give me a copy which I immediately scanned over to CIGNA today.

And I received a call from PT....the notes are copied, being prepared and should be all set for pickup tomorrow. So scanning those over will be my big job for the day. At least I have a nice reward at the end and something to look forward to....meeting a coworker for dinner tomorrow. And so it goes.

Wow, @Hipster64, it does sound like all of this insurance nonsense has you running around daily, exactly like a fulltime job! Sheesh! But nice to read that things are moving forward, notes are being copied and shipped off to CIGNA and, with any amount of luck, this should resolve the whole payment plan and you will be able--and how nice will that be--to devote yourself 100% to healing! I hope you have a lovely dinner with your co-worker to celebrate this evening. Cheers!

@Barbaraj : 56 pages of PT notes were sent by me to CIGNA today. I am actually doing the case manager's job. At least the supervisor was nice enough to call and confirm receipt.

I totally feel like I am back to work. But then again, that's not a bad thing because I won't be so shell-shocked when I do return.

For good measure, I went into MyChart and downloaded x-ray reports for me as far back as 2011 noting the levoscoliosis on the left lumbar side. I also downloaded all x-ray reports from 2013 onward noting that my hip condition has deteriorated over the last six years, and that my left hip was in much worse condition than the right. The CIGNA supervisor wanted them and agreed they would support my diagnoses and condition. She said the review should be complete by the end of tomorrow. We'll see. In any event, there is nothing more that I can do at this point.

Wow, you have been busy! At least you know it's being taken care of and properly. Good to hear the supervisor confirmed receipt, a little courtesy is so nice. Hoping this gets you some payments soon! :friends:

Well, persistence pays off! Just heard from the CIGNA supervisor-my claim is being paid until 12/10 and they have a nice RETRO check coming for me. However, I am still going to request PT notes every time I leave that office and get them over to CIGNA ASAP. It's obvious that I have to do the rep's job so I may as well do it to the best of my ability!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Good news! @Hipster64
It sounds as though your persistence finally paid off.
How is your recovery going through all of this...hopefully the new hips are doing well...
Warm wishes for a rexlaxing weekend now that your mind is at ease.

Happy Four Month Anniversary to Righty today!

@Layla: Thank you for asking! My right hip is doing great, and my OS noted that accordingly. However, the left one still tends to get stiff, especially in the AM; my husband and neighbor notice that I still limp on it while walking (though nowhere near as pronounced as before); and I have intermittent, spasm-like pain in my left buttock/left lumbar area which the OS feels is more related to the levoscoliosis as opposed to the hip. I also noticed that if I sit for long periods of time, that I can feel stiffness in both hips, but the left is worse than the right. Again, my left hip is only 9.5 weeks out and was in much worse condition than the right one. Even the physical therapists told me that the left leg is going to have a tougher recovery because of that.

I still walk five times a week and am back up to five laps a day on my little street; attending PT twice a week and am now doing a gait training home exercise each day which consists of my walking sideways in my hallway with a TheraBand wrapped around my ankles. As I put my feet down, I have to make sure the foot is straight and my foot hits the ground heel first. I must say that PT has made me very aware of movements and body positions. I try to keep moving each day and have made it a point to thank my OS and therapists for helping me get my life back....or make it even better!

Ooh, @Hipster64, you are doing what my PT calls "monster walks", which I am definitely NOT fond of. I have the band just above my knees, and I have to hold a 5 lb weight, but otherwise it is the same exercise you're doing. But, it's just one of many prescribed exercises so I just chalk it up to not being "fun" and continue on. I, too, get stiff if I sit too long, and it's my left hip, the operated one, which aches the most. But it's always encouraging that if I get up and walk around for a bit, the ache does dissipate. You are doing well, so keep up the good work--and have a great weekend. PS And that's fabulous that FINALLY all your hard work paid off. I know it's still probably frustrating that YOU had to do the work for the insurance company, but having the claim approved must be gratifying. It does sound like you'll need to keep up your work if you want to avoid any glitches down the road, but for today take a deep breath and smile!

Happy Saturday! @Hipster64
Even with Righty, nine and a half weeks post op is still early in the entire scheme of things. Great to hear your right hip is doing well and you have confirmation that your left hip may take longer due to the condion it was in at the time of surgery.

I think for either hip, some stiffness is normal at this point.
Try the heel-toe walking when you catch yourself limping. It was a tough one for me becaise my gait became rather sloppy as my hip was deteriorating and I really had to concentrate on heel-toe....it did not come naturally by any means. I also noticed if I began limping, it was most often when I was tired or had been on my feet or walking around for an extended period of time.

You're doing great. Keep it up and enjoy the weekend!

@Hipster64 so happy to hear that things are starting to clear up with your short term disability. Even if you had to do most of the work yourself. You know what they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself! :heehee:

Glad the hips are healing, slow and easy. I think we all have some stiffness when first getting out of chairs and such. I guess things could be a whole lot worse and they aren't. Have a great weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back