THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

:hi: @Hipster64
I hope this Tuesday, and special day, is off to a good start.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
May today be all you want it to be. :)

@Barbaraj: I have looked into implants. Right now we have two dental insurance plans so we could get a good portion covered. I am not ruling anything out at this point because I am so frustrated. I am getting it recemented on Thursday but boy, do I have to load up on amoxicillin. The OS is not fooling around with this. I have to take 19 500MG amoxicillin pills-4 of them one hour before I go to the dentist, and one pill three times per day for the next five days.

@Layla: Thank you--hard to believe it's already been three months for Surgery #1. Time flies indeed. Before you know it I will be back to work!

I suffer with bruxism also and can so relate. Well, what a pain that crown is.. good luck discussing options with your dentist on Thursday.

The best news is how well you are doing with your new hips!! I see your comment about returning to work before you know it. Do you have an estimated time frame for that?
Not that you should rush things..I was just wondering. Hopefully you have plenty of time to rest and recover and just enjoy things, you've earned it!

@CricketHip : My OS gave me 12 weeks on Surgery #1 and most likely is giving me 12 weeks on Surgery #2. However, since the surgeries were 8 weeks apart and overlapped, I lost four weeks recovery time so that puts me at an estimated return date of early December and cuts me down to 20 weeks.

My physical therapist recently advised me that I was supposed to have at least 8 weeks of PT on Surgery #1 and only had five weeks because of Surgery #2 being so close. I already advised both my PT and OS that I would be more than willing to make up the three weeks of lost physical therapy at the end. Both have indicated that this should not be a problem. So if that becomes reality, then my return to work date has now been pushed to late December.

I gave my employer and CIGNA an estimated return to work date of 12/30 when I applied for a leave of absence back in May. I estimated it would be at least 12 weeks for each leg and advised accordingly, and was essentially approved for a 24 week leave of absence by my company. However, I realized that the week of 12/30 at my employer may not be the best week to return. I would have at least 1.5 days off during New Years' week; have a flex day that week that would likely be taken on Monday (it's normally Tuesday but due to New Years' Eve being a half-holiday, would have to be moved) and I would have to work from home that Saturday taking calls for 15 states. I do not relish being thrown into that so quickly and that week is very messed up attendance-wise, so I am hoping to return to work on Monday 1/6 and start fresh. CIGNA advised that I have up to 1/13 to return as my 26 weeks STD would then run out, so 1/6 would work out perfectly- I would return after a full 25 week absence. I already informed my employer about a possible extension and they advised me to let both them and CIGNA know should it be necessary. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
That sounds like a very good plan! I like how you are carefully planning this out. Congratulations!
I love the sound of starting on 1/6, also! :) :-) (:

Good for you, @Hipster64, for making sure that you are able to take all the time you're entitled to, and that insurance is lined up as well. Being able to really recover and be able to work is critical, and pushing it too early could very well result in setbacks. So, good for you, and so glad it seems to be--knock on wood--working out so far. Good luck at the dentist today!

@CricketHip: I definitely am planning this out. I can't believe I screwed up and didn't initially request to return to work on 1/6 instead of 12/30. However, if my OS is on board with it then it should be an easy fix.

@Barbaraj: That's why I am taking as much time as I am allowed. I am returning to work in the winter in New England and am petrified of falling in the parking lot and causing a major setback. That's why I want as much time off and as much physical therapy as I am allowed to have . That's also why when I return to the OS in a couple of weeks, I am bringing a new RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) form for them to sign to have my disabled parking placard extended through the winter. If I lived in Florida this wouldn't be an issue, but in Massachusetts, being the last one into work and getting a crappy parking space in icy weather, which is my reality since I work the latest shift-could mean a recipe for disaster. Like I said before, I'm doing them a favor because I am sure my employer does not want any potential employee liability issues on their hands. At least if I have the disabled parking placard I will be guaranteed a parking place close to the door and I won't have to worry about walking through the snow and ice.

The crown is back in and recemented. We shall see how long this lasts.

Last edited:
Hipster64 is crowned! Long live the queen! (of crowned teeth) :rotfl: Glad that went well for you.. hopefully all of the antibiotics won't bother your digestive system.

I dread the icy, snowy streets and sidewalks, too. `Your handicapped Placard will be very helpful!
I plan on being very careful this winter.

Glad that, for the umpteenth time, your crown was successfully cemented back, @Hipster64 I have to say you are far more patient and forgiving than I would be if I'd had to have that done as many times as you have! But maybe in the future a permanent implant might be possible. Right now the focus should be, appropriately so, on getting that hip recovered. I wasn't even thinking about how hard it would be to deal with snow and ice if you're a recovering hipster--no wonder you are pushing your doctor for that handicapped parking documentation! You'll need to be very focused and deliberate this winter, but I hope the pass comes through so parking won't be a huge issue--and I hope your employer sands or de-ices the sidewalks! And of course you should take every bit of time you're entitled to take before you have to return to work--smart lady!

@Barbaraj : I have until 12/26 on my current placard. So I am hoping to get extended to at least 3/31 of next year so that way I can get through the winter somewhat worry-free. But hey, if they want to extend me another six months after 12/26 and take me right through to the end of June, I'm not complaining!

Well, my fingers are crossed for you, @Hipster64, that you'll be able to take at least through next March, and sure, next June would be fabulous! With two hip replacement surgeries so close together, I think you absolutely deserve extra time to recover, and especially if extra time takes you through the worst of a New England winter. Here's hoping!

@Barbaraj : Unfortunately, the latest I can return to work is 1/13/20. My 26 weeks of short-term disability runs out at that time. I am shooting to return on 1/6, right after the new year. It's the handicapped placard that I am hoping will get extended through the winter. I would love to have a full paid year out but that's definitely not in the cards. I need to start contributing to my pension and 401K again-I'm not getting any younger and retirement is coming up-and short-term disability doesn't deduct anything except SS and Medicare deductions, so I can forget about a decent tax refund next year. I have been paying my health insurance payment deductions directly to my employer since August, and I also owe my employer my Health Care Spending Account deductions from the middle of July to the end of the year so when I return to work, my first paycheck will be ripped to pieces. You don't realize how much your paycheck is actually worth until you are out for an extended period.

Hipster... sending healing blessings your way that you will be given all that you need to follow thru on getting thru this journey.

It’s not easy to get thru all the healing stages of thr surgery, especially both hips. Many of us older hippies have have this hippielife for over 25 years. Both hips done and one revision and still ticking. It’s the new way we look at movements taking time to just take one day at a time. Not taking out health for granted. Becoming mindful of our accomplishments and daily movements and life does get so much better. Time, time, it’s just time. It’s very early for you in the healing journey and it’s something that can’t be sped up for planned events. It’s one day at a time and soon you will be moving along without the tinniest thought of thr surgery. Then suddenly... Boom :happydance:just like that ....it‘s all worth it and your emotional and physical strength took a hit but your now over the mountain and ready to move forward. There is short term healing ...that’s usually when the components are secured in bone growth and soft tissue. Usually about 6 to 14 weeks. Then there is long term healing ... up to 2 years...getting back strength, resilience, and so much more. Life is a blessing.

Hello @Hipster64
How are those hips feeling these days?
Three months in with Righty and one and a half with Lefty.
Wondering which recovery you're favoring at this point? With your surgeries so close together it's like your recoveries are rolled into one. You have three months to go before your return to work, I imagine you'll be doing pretty well by the time the new year rolls around.
I hope you're enjoying a beautiful New England Autumn!

@Hippielife: Thank you for the kind words and the recovery breakdown. I knew that recovery would not be instantaneous but I did not realize it would take up to two years for me to be at 100%. So you're right....I am still in the early recovery stage.

@Layla : Thanks for checking in! I would have to say that Righty is doing better than Lefty. Lefty was the worst hip to begin with and needed more work, so I expect to have more pain on that one. With Righty, I forget sometimes that I even had surgery. My next OS appointment is 10/29 and I am hoping I can be officially lifted from restrictions. It will be nice to put my living room back to the way it was pre-surgery, not have to worry about the 90 degree rule, and get rid of the toilet riser, shower chair and riser cushions!

:snow plough:Just a thought on making your way on icy parking lots in a Massachusetts winter. I just bought some Merrell 'artic ice' slip on shoes and they have good reviews for working well on ice and snow. Not cheap but might want to check them out for commuter shoes. We don't get much snow here in UK but do get frost and ice and I too am a bit super cautious this first winter about falling. Hope we new hippies all miraculously have goat feet this winter!

:wave:Hello and a Happy Monday to you, @Hipster64
You're doing great and I'm sure that's what you'll hear at your post op next week.

It will be nice to put my living room back to the way it was pre-surgery,

Returning your home to "normal" and putting away those assistive devices make for a huge milestone in my opinion. Let us know when you've met those goals and we'll raise a glass in celebration with you. :wink:
Enjoy the day!

Yes, a living room returned to "normal" will be nice and further a sense of healing, I suspect. I didn't mind getting rid of any assistive devices except the toilet riser which I really liked, particularly in the middle of night staggering to the bathroom. I am tall and our low toilet is old so the toilet riser was really appreciated. I didn't mind kicking that walker (clothes rack) to the curb, but I loved the toilet riser and still do miss it a tiny bit. Well, it does sound like you've got to brace yourself for a return to work in early January, but I think (hope) you'll be feeling much more stable and strong by then so, if you're deliberate and careful on icy walkways, you should do better than you think. I hope the DMV gives you a long period of time for the disabled parking pass. I got three months and really didn't need it after the first month. If I was tempted to use it (out of sheer laziness really) my husband would begin the lecture that involved reminding me that I was perfectly capable of getting out of the car and walking and that these spots should be saved for really disabled folks. I always gave in, of course, but I was recovering during weather that didn't involve snow or ice. I can perfectly understand why you'd like a longer term in your situation. I hope they'll extend it for you if possible. But you've got a few more months to recover and rebuild strength and endurance. You can do this! Chin up, and have a great Monday, @Hipster64

Well, my physical therapist said today that I could put my living room back in order today and that was promptly done! I forgot to ask about the bathroom so I promised my husband that I would continue to use the seat and toilet riser until my OS visit next Tuesday, and will ask him if it's okay to put them away. (My husband gets very nervous about me and rather than argue about it I gave in).

My 4-week PT evaluation is Thursday and I expect to be approved for another 4 weeks of PT, since they told me I should receive at least 8 weeks per leg. After that I hope they will approve me to make up the three weeks lost on Surgery #1 due to surgery scheduling. Fingers crossed!

:wave:@hipster64
Sounds like things are getting better and better!:egypdance:
I forgot to ask about the bathroom so I promised my husband that I would continue to use the seat and toilet riser until my OS visit next Tuesday, and will ask him if it's okay to put them away. (My husband gets very nervous about me and rather than argue about it I gave in).
Whatever will you do without your pity pot?:heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks