THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Well done @Hipster64 and what a great update.
I was so happy to read how well things are progressing.
Hope everyone has a great day and looking forward to a fabulous fall weekend!
We dont have fall weekends:no-fin:
Only autumn from now on.

Hope your weekend is sweet.

:hi: Good Morning @Hipster64
Congrats on weaning from the cane. You're doing exceptionally well considering you've experienced two major surgeries within less than two months and you're not even three months in since it all began....amazing!

Carrying the cane on outings is wise. Even if you're not using it, it's a cue for others to steer clear. Keep up the wonderful progress and please continue to post updates. I'm sure those following behind you find your recovery inspiring. Thanks for sharing. :)
Happy Saturday!

@Layla: Thank you and everyone else again and again for your kind words and encouragement.

I am very proud and pleased with my progress, and do not regret for one minute taking this journey to reclaim my life back, but my life in recovery is not all rainbows and unicorns every day, and I hope my updates have not led anyone to think so, because I don't want anyone to think that you can just walk right out of the hospital and pick up your life exactly where you left off before surgery. There are "inspiring" recovery stories all over the Internet that can honestly delude people into thinking you can (going back to work in a week, walking a half-mile in the hospital with no assistance, swimming laps in an Olympic-size pool four days post discharge, off all painkillers within days-I read them all). But I still have pain, I still take meds, I still take a 1-2 hour nap most days and still need minor assistance with some daily living activities. I don't care what any of these narratives say; it just doesn't work that way. You have to put in the work and you have to put in the resting.

Without sounding conceited, I do think I am doing awesome for someone who was in the hospital and on a walker only 3.5 weeks ago, but believe me, I am very aware of my limitations. And every day I look forward to gaining strength and resuming another piece of daily living that I couldn't do either at all or as well pre-surgeries. I don't take any of this for granted. I plan on having an active retirement in a few years and I am realizing these surgeries will be the main reason I can achieve that goal.

Last edited:
Still marvelous, really.
Taking meds at not even one month post op from your latest surgery is certainly common, as is the pain that has you taking the meds.
Energy drain also. As you know your body is using energy first for healing, not leaving a lot of energy for all of the normal activities of daily living. And you're healing from double "controlled" trauma, with surgeries so close together.
I'd say your doing fantastically, stupendously, amazingly well! :wink:

We appreciate you taking the time to share that it's not all rainbows and unicorns. Thanks for keeping it real!
@Hipster64

Good day, @Hipster64 I hope it's a good day and you're feeling better. I totally agree that hip recovery, while not the worst recovery ever, is still really hard work and takes much, much longer than the silly hype you can read about on the internet. I feel I had and am having a good recovery, but there have been setbacks for me, and probably all of us on this journey, and I know that it will take time, lots of time, before I'm 100% again. Still, you really are doing stupendously well, especially considering two surgeries so close together. Hurray for you--and keep on moving forward, you are going to get to the end, slowly but surely.

@Barbaraj: I agree with you that there can be setbacks. Personally, I have found that my latest surgery has been much tougher on me than the first one was; probably because the left hip's condition was worse to begin with on x-rays and the left leg was shorter and needed to be lengthened. My left leg tends to hurt more at night and I do seem to tire more easily since I had this surgery. I went to PT today and they still want me on the cane for larger venues and outings, so it looks like I will need it a bit longer than anticipated and will have to bring it to the wedding we are attending next Sunday (Oh well-C'est la vie). However, all is not lost-we have begun working on gait training which is a new experience for me.

I am still trying to wean myself off the pain meds and am now down to 2 Tylenols (500mg each) per day and 2 Tramadols (50mg each) per day. So far it seems to be working.

Again, I still have to keep this in perspective as I am only 4 weeks post surgery. But this recovery has been different than the first one.

Happy One Month Anniversary!

You always hope your first recovery would be the tougher of the two with the second being a piece of cake. At least that's the way I think. Get the "less than desirable" out of the way.

At only one month post op you're doing great. Weaning from the cane and meds. And it's only going to get better as you've already witnessed with Righty.

I hope you have a lovely rest of the week and a great time at the wedding on Sunday.
@Hipster64

Oh, I agree with you, @Hipster64 I feel as if this second recovery (although I had considerably more time in between my surgeries!) has been tougher and I haven't bounced back as quickly as I did the first time. That doesn't mean I'm not progressing well--I absolutely am--but I am tired of the stiffness, muscle weakness and aching and feeling discouraged some days that I will NEVER feel 100% again. My sensible, reasonable side reminds me I'm not even 3 months out yet and I try to step back and remember that this, too, shall pass. You are doing great, and continuing to use your cane for a while longer isn't going to delay your recovery. And nice work weaning yourself down on meds! Keep that chin up--and happy hump day!

Happy One Month Anniversary! I think you're doing fantastic and considering you're not quite three months on your other hip, you're rocking this! If your cane isn't already nice and colorful you can always wrap some ribbon or something around it for the wedding!

@Elf1: Decorating my cane.....now that's an avenue I have not explored! My cane is purple with red Hawaiian flowers all over it....but now you've got me thinking if it can be further embellished.

And as always to everyone, thanks for your support! I have therapy today so we'll see what happens. I was very sore on Tuesday but after therapy I had some errands to run with my husband that were mandatory, but involved some walking. Felt much better yesterday and was even able to do my two laps outside yesterday in the rain, wearing an LL Bean pullover anorak-style hooded coat. I figured that I used to walk to and from school and the bus when I was a kid, so I should be able to handle two laps in the rain. Hip replacement-and all that it entails-is definitely not for wimps!

Oh yes, decorate your cane....it would be so pretty! I'm envisioning satin ribbon wrapped all the way around and then some simply tied / knotted toward the top loosely hanging like streamers. A few of different lengths in the same color as your outfit, or a complimentary color. How fun. Not for everyone, but I love crafty stuff like that.

I hope your therapy session goes well today. Most of us can handle hip replacement. It's the brave ones like the bilaterals and people like you who go back in short order for round two that are amazing! They'd have to drag me there kicking and screaming within two months time. You're like a super hero, lol.
Have a great Thursday!
@Hipster64

Just popping by to say hello and hope that things begin to level out soon.
Hope this week is restorative and happy.:ok:

@Mojo333: Hello, and thanks for checking in!

I was able to make it to the wedding last night, with cane in tow. I was thankful to have it because we had to do some walking on varied terrain. The ceremony was outside and I had grass, hills, dirt and stairs to navigate. We pretty much kept it to a "chew and screw" and left after the meal because my leg was starting to feel pain, I was already almost 12 hours post pain meds and we had an hour ride home.

Of course nothing is ever smooth sailing. My back right crown fell out a couple of hours before we left for the wedding. This is about the 40th time it has happened (not an exaggeration) so that's not unusual, and I'm just glad it didn't happen around any of my surgery times. However, I had to call the OS this morning because I will have to go to the dentist to have it recemented. I was told I could not have any dental work for at least 90 days after my second surgery which would bring us to 12/9. I wanted to know if having a crown recemented officially counts as dental work and if so, do I have to wait 90 days before having it put in, and in the meantime, do I just suck it up with Fixodent for the time being? If anyone knows the answer to that one, please let me know. I have a prescription for antibiotics from my dentist just waiting to be filled for the right moment. Still waiting to hear back from the OS. If I don't hear back today, I'll stop in the office tomorrow before or after my PT, since everyone is in the same building.

Hope everyone is having a nice long weekend, thanks to Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples' Day!

Update: Just heard from the OS. They are allowing me to have the crown recemented but I have to take antibiotics before and after the procedure. Just need to schedule the appointment and pick up the antibiotics called in by the OS.

The ceremony was outside and I had grass, hills, dirt and stairs to navigate
Not the easiest thing for new hips so I get it.
And then the car ride:gaah:
Glad you cam go ahead and place the crown for the 41st time:) :-) (:
Same dentist...???? He must be awfully cute:giggle:

Sounds like the wedding was fun, @Hipster64, despite the effort involved (glad you took that cane), but bummer about that rotten crown. Glad to hear you'll be able to get it repaired (again). Do they have any idea why it keeps coming off? Seems like there ought to be a better fix if it's fallen on 40 times! I'd be in a bit of a testy uproar if it were me!

Good Evening @Hipster64
Great news you were able to join in the festivities even if it was for a limited time only. Sorry about the dental issues, but thankfully there is a fix.
There are calm waters and smooth sailing ahead. Hang in there, it's coming!
Wishing you a peaceful week!

Glad to read about the wedding, you sound like you managed the grass, hills, etc. very well.
But the crown! Of course it came off. That would be my day in a nutshell.
Glad it can be re-cemented.. it's not good to leave the crown off for too long.
So, I wonder what you will do for fun next weekend? :heehee:

I think you are doing very well, congrats!!

@Barbaraj : They think it's because I grind my teeth and because of that, I am constantly loosening the crown. However, I do wear a mouth guard to bed each night-I even brought it with me to the hospital-so it's not like I am not taking preventive measures. I have told them numerous times that my body doesn't want the crown; that it keeps rejecting it; and someday I am just going to say "Screw it" and not get it recemented (it's thankfully in the back). Because the dentist doesn't want me to do that due to fear of my teeth shifting (I had braces as a teenager in the early 80s) he keeps accommodating me and recementing it. A couple of times he has even replaced the crown, which is porcelain, for free since I have had such a hassle with this. This may be my third or fourth crown-I have lost track.. Keep in mind that this has only been going on since December 2008. The last time I had it recemented was in May 2018 so this has been almost an 18 month run which is a record. I remember that because we were going on a cruise from Boston to Bermuda that Memorial Day week and I told them that if they didn't recement it before the cruise, I was throwing the crown overboard into the Atlantic Ocean and was officially done.

@CricketHip: Fixodent has become my best friend. I used some yesterday and it's still holding 24 hours later. I keep a small tube of it and a case for the crown with me at all times because the crown naturally only falls out at the most awkward times. In July 2015 I was on vacation in Hot Springs, Arkansas and it fell out-while eating French fries. I called my dentist from Arkansas and scheduled an appointment upon return. Other times were at work; at home eating tuna fish; at a restaurant with my family; out eating ice cream; and while visiting my best friend when she lived in Florida. I am just so grateful that it didn't fall out right before my surgeries. I did tell my OS's assistant that I'd rather my body reject the crown than my new hips! She laughed at that one.

Well, I am a teeth grinder, too, @Hipster64, and also wear a nightguard--and have crowns which don't come off! I know implants are quite expensive, but might that be an option for you? I would be pretty frustrated by a crown that keeps coming off so many times and would be very mutinous and focused on a permanent fix if at all possible. But, as I said, I know they are expensive (had a friend who had three teeth replaced in the front, so more critical than your molar, and I was stunned at the cost) and maybe you're a more patient woman than I am. Have a great Tuesday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom