THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

@Hipster64 sounds like you had a great visit at the OS office and the PT. You're doing really well, happy that you have a good PT, makes all the difference as you know. Have an awesome weekend!

Good morning, @Hipster64 I hope you're having a good Sunday, doing exactly what you want to do today. And I hope you have nice weather so you can get out for a walk if you'd like. No sunshine yet in the PNW, but some streaks of blue so hopes for sun later on although it will be cool all day, with temps in the high 50's. But, as an indoor exerciser I'll be doing my home PT exercises this morning and maybe hitting the gym with my workout buddy at some point for a bit of cardio. Going to see an afternoon matinee theatre performance so I guess overall it's not important what the weather might be. Hope all's well--happy Sunday to you!

Hey there :wave:
It's the three week anniversary tomorrow already for Lefty.
Twenty Nineteen...The Summer of Two New Hips! Hopefully you've had a good week and weekend with some beautiful Autumn weather in your area.
Stay the course, you're doing great and it's only going to get better. :yay:
Happy Three Week Anniversary!
@Hipster64

Thanks again everyone for the support! Wonderful sunny New England weekend. Went out to eat today with my husband and son-first time out to eat in a restaurant since Surgery #2-and then went to my in-laws to see two of my husband's aunts that flew in this weekend from California. On Tuesday it's back to PT.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and has an even better week!

Oh, @Hipster64, I bet it was lovely to go out to eat in a restaurant--a real menu of choices, plus no prep work or clean up required! Sounds like a nice outing to me, and also fun that you got to visit with relatives after dinner. Nice to read that you're having sunny, pleasant weather as well--very jealous of that. It is only going to be in the high 50's today, so chilly for me, although I do see a bit of blue sky out there. Have a great Monday!

@Barbaraj: Your weather is pretty similar to ours today. Sunny out but only 62 degrees. Perfect walking weather though, so I'll be out there later. You enjoy your Monday as well!

A sunny New England weekend...Aaah, I'm envisioning it as picturesque this time of year with cooler temps, blue skies and natures beautiful display of color. New England does Fall best, right? :yes: Good to hear you made it out to your first post op restaurant meal. That alone is worth celebrating! Good luck at PT tomorrow.
Have a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@Hipster64

Last edited:
Good morning, @Hipster64 Hope yesterday's walk went well--I agree, a sunny but cool day is perfect for a walk. We actually are predicted to have a sunny day here so if I were a walker (but I'm not...) I'd be out there striding along as well. Instead, I'll do PT, drive to the gym for a workout and then a number of errands this afternoon. Rains return tomorrow but as it's now officially October, I guess I can't complain much from this point going forward. Have a great day!

Hi everyone: Went to PT at 7:30 AM (ouch!) and was told I was doing great! Since this was my first real PT session, I was advised to keep with the cane until my next session on Thursday so they have a better idea of how I feel after doing therapy. I felt this was fair.

Another milestone-I drove myself to PT. My discharge paper said 2-3 weeks for driving; the OS never got back to me; and since PT said last week I could likely drive next week I decided to do so. I checked in with PT and they said there should be no problem with that as long as I feel good and don't drive cross-country. I said I am pretty much Point A to Point B right now so they were happy with that.

Now I am embroiled in another surgery-related battle....fighting for my short-term disability benefits. I never received my check that was issued last Monday 9/23 and of course I have to wait 10 business days for a reissue. My disability was only approved by CIGNA, the company issuing my payments, until today; my OS went on vacation last week and the paperwork won't be faxed over from the OS to CIGNA until tomorrow. So I am only getting a check for two days this week (if I actually receive that one too). They won't issue any more checks until they hear from the OS.

The icing on the cake was the CIGNA representative asking me if I was returning to work tomorrow (10/2). Really? I just had left hip surgery on 9/9, am still in therapy for at least 8 weeks, they have paperwork on file from the OS advising that I am out at least 12 weeks on the right leg alone (but refuse to use it to extend past 10/1 as they only extend disability with newer and incremental updates). Yep, I'm pulling out one of my pretty dresses and high heels from my closet to wear to work tomorrow as we speak. Getting my lunch together too! :loll:

It seems like once something gets under control, another thing rears its ugly head. It just doesn't end. Oh well, it's never dull!

Last edited:
@Hipster64 good deal on the PT, have to agree about the hour though. :snork:

Hopefully you can get Cigna squared away, they are who I had with the company I just left but they were administered by a third party. Just submitted mine for total time out and just sent the original paperwork from the OS not bothering him to fill out the same garbage again.

@Elf1 : I don't get it with CIGNA because my OS disabled me for 12 weeks just on Surgery #1. They told me this based on the paperwork he sent back to them. Yet they insist on approving my disability for only 3 weeks at a time, even though the OS has officially disabled me for a much longer time period. So basically they don't believe what the doctor originally tells them and insist on more proof.

I actually had to call them from the hospital on 9/9-the day I had Surgery #2-because they only approved me to then. I told them they had to extend me longer because I was in the hospital having additional surgery. They were like "Oh wow, really?" Now you can't tell me the OS didn't mention something about a subsequent surgery in his notes to them.

The funniest was last night when I asked if I would at least be paid for 9/30 and 10/1 because I was approved by CIGNA until that time. The representative told me I would not be, that my "money date" was 9/29 and nothing more could be paid past that until they got notes approving further treatment-that the approval date means something different (?!) Obviously we know that's a lie because they did issue a check for those two days.

Again, it's never dull, and it doesn't end!

I hate insurance companies and my blood pressure immediately raised when I have to talk to them! Good luck, hopefully they get their heads out of their :censored:!

Woohoo! Great news :happydance:Things continue to look up.
Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!

Hurray on driving, @Hipster64, and for starting PT which I hope works well for you--compassionate, smart therapists who help but do not hurt you. Bummer about insurance (I will bite my lip because I have nothing complimentary to say about those troglodytes!) but stay on it (dog on a bone) and with your OS's help, I am hoping payments do come through. It is bad enough that you're recovering from major surgery, but dealing with insurance must be maddening! Hang in there! Happy Hump Day!

@Barbaraj: It's even more maddening because I work for an insurance company. There is nothing worse than people giving you two separate stories regarding what you are supposed to get. The OS confirmed faxing everything over yesterday afternoon, so I will check in with CIGNA later to confirm they got my paperwork.

Therapy this AM went well. They agreed I could start weaning off the cane today. I don't have to use it in my home nor do I need to use it in small places I visit. However, should I go shopping or visit a large building/campus, the cane comes out. Again, I agreed this was fair and have no complaints.

Hope everyone has a great day and looking forward to a fabulous fall weekend!

Wonderful news, @Hipster64 , about being able to start ditching that cane! It's great for awhile but I'm sure at some point it seems more trouble than it's worth. I loved being able to walk standing up straight with no assistive device. With this second hip replacement, I graduated after three miserable days on the walker to--nothing. It was weird but although I felt the second recovery was more uncomfortable the first few weeks, I felt immediately stable and strong on both hips and being able to walk without having to worry about a "third leg" with a cane or walking pole, was very nice. You sound like you're doing great--and that therapy is working--woo, hoo! Have a good Friday!

@Hipster64 You are making good progress! I found that some days I needed the cane more than others, it will be interesting to see how it goes for you since you've had 2 hips replaced in a short amount of time. You sound like you are doing very well!
Re: Insurance Companies. That is absolutely the worst! I'm sorry you have to argue and fuss aobut your rightful pay. So annoying!
Have a great weekend.. I know I plan to!

@Barbaraj: From walker to nothing in three days.....I am impressed! That sounds exhilarating.

@CricketHip: I used the cane today to do my walking laps outside. I don't use it in the home, nor did I use it when I went into the bank this afternoon or to my dad's house last night. I am hoping I won't need it by next Sunday-we are attending a wedding and if I could get approved to go without it, I would be ecstatic.

The OS finally called today and said I was cleared to drive and should begin practicing in a parking lot this weekend. I thanked them for getting back to me and never said one word about PT saying I could begin driving this week if I felt up to it. In all honesty, I am not abusing the privilege and have only driven from Point A to Point B to run errands. My husband still takes the longer drives at this point.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom