THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Yay, @Hipster64, great report post-surgery! Happy that so far you're enjoying (?!!) a less uncomfortable recovery and you've been up and walking, and able to eat. Do take it easy and here's hoping you'll get released today and home to start the real recovery process. Cheers, and welcome to the other side--again.

Woohoo! Another double Hippie in the house, doing well. :happydance:Hope today is as good as yesterday.
It seems you're off to a great start. Will look forward to following as your THR / 2019 journey continues.
What a great 2020 you'll have. Have a peaceful day.:)
@Hipster64

Hello everyone! My OS said I can be discharged tonight. Good-that means I can have Panko Crusted Cod for both lunch and dinner! It's my favorite hospital meal!

Although I went through this surgery with flying colors, no nausea and less pain, I think I will have to work harder on this leg. PT noticed that I am still turning it outward as opposed to keeping it straight. There is no need for me to limp on it anymore and my brain and leg muscles need to realize that. So for that reason alone, I am looking forward to home and outpatient PT.

However, once again I look six months pregnant, most likely due to fluids, and between the two preadmission tests for both surgeries, I lost a grand total of two pounds. Since I have been diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder, I am very conscious over that, especially after moving around more and exercising daily by walking, and trying very hard to keep caloric intake between 1500-2000. All the staff I talked to, from nurses to therapists, assured me that once both legs are done and I am moving around more, that the number will slowly go down. Since I was a slug for so long, I can't expect miracles. (Last sentence my words, not theirs).

Last edited:
Since I was a slug for so long, I can't expect miracles. (Last sentence my words, not theirs).
Well, that's kind of hard..:umm:

I say expect miracles.
Just not instantaneous ones.
Getting happy new hips will be inspiring....I'm on your side.
Now is not the time to do anything but heal so chill until all can settle...strengthening, toning, working on gait...all can happen after you heal.
Healing hugs, my friend.
You've got this!:tada:

I was shaking in my home this afternoon and the temperature inside was 76 degrees. Took my temperature and it was 102.2. I called the OS and I am going there tomorrow morning to be seen and to have them take a look at the dressing.

I just took Tylenol right before my temperature spiked and I feel a little better, temperature has dropped to 100.8. However, I am not cancelling my appointment-better to be safe than sorry.

For some good news, Home PT visited me this AM and told me I was a Rockstar; that I was doing fantastic and anticipates that I will excel at recovery. I feel opposite because more was done to my left side and therefore, it will take longer to get back to normal. We'll see how things develop.

Glad to hear you're not canceling your doctor's appointment, @Hipster64 . Even with a lowered temperature after Tylenol, I'd be concerned. Hope it's nothing serious. And congrats, Ms. Rockstar! How nice to get a compliment from your home PT. So often we're hypercritical of ourselves and how slowly we feel we're progressing that we forget we actually ARE doing well--so savor that compliment, enjoy! It will take some work to get you up and moving slowly (I just started PT and know I've got some exercises ahead of me) but you WILL get there. Chin up, girl!

Good Afternoon @Hipster64
Wondering how your office visit went today? I know a low grade fever can be common in the early days following surgery but I guess 102.2 warranted a call into the surgeon's office. With any luck it's returned to normal today and you're resting comfortably. Please let us know how you're doing. Kudos on the positive words from PT. :thumb:
A peaceful evening to you!

Hi everybody: I went to the OS this morning at 10:30 AM. Fever dropped to 98.5, but the OS noticed my dressing was already saturated and that Home PT would have to change it for me this afternoon, which they did. Home PT also told me to keep in mind that I was discharged from the hospital after one night this time around as opposed to two nights the last time, so things will be different.

I felt like a fool going in there because the fever dropped and I was wasting people's time, but my OS told me better to be safe than sorry. And of course when I got home, the fever immediately spiked back up to over 101. When Home PT came this afternoon it was back down to 100 and change, where it is now. But the OS told me this is common in the early stages of healing and to continue my Tylenol/Tramadol regimen as prescribed. He also told me that he saw me walking in the hospital and says I am doing great, so there's that.

Also, the OS office apparently got into it with my PCP. For some bizarre reason, my PCP wanted to see me today at 11:30 AM, two days post discharge which is an unusually close timeframe and quite frankly, ridiculous. I am in worse pain this time around because the OS has also straightened my pelvis and lengthened my leg-the left leg pain radiates right down to the ankle-and I would have to walk with my walker through a rat maze of a ramp to get to my PCP's office. It was tough enough going to the OS this early out and I only did it because I had to, but to make it to the PCP would be hell. The OS obviously cancelled the PCP appointment for me, and the PCP's office was not happy and demanded that I be responsible to reschedule. The OS advised them that it was the PCP's responsibility to reschedule, not mine. The OS also agreed the PCP's visit timeframe was ridiculous. So if I don't hear from the PCP within a week, I will call them per instructions of the OS.

As I said before, I truly believe this is going to be a tougher recovery. It already seems different. I now have some groin pain in the right hip area which I haven't had in weeks-per the OS, it's because I am walking differently now. Even my home PT said I have been put through way too much, too soon today such as walking and car transfers, and that walking with the walker today with them was out of the question. The only thing they want me to concentrate on is resting, ice, elevation and hydration.

Last edited:
Congrats to you and sorry to hear of your side effects! Feeling nauseous on top of everything else just plain sucks. I am day 6 post right THR and almost had my hospital discharge postponed for dizziness, nausea and a plummeting blood pressure overtime I sat up (hence the dizziness and nausea) from the pain meds. I agree with Jaycey- ask for anti-nausea medication (I was given one and within 2 hours, was able to be OK'ed for discharge.) There is no place like home- hope you make it home tonight! Best wishes!

Absolutely NO REASON to feel embarrassed for going to see your surgeon, @Hipster64! You absolutely did the right thing, and just be grateful that it wasn't anything serious and it put your mind at ease going forward. I am finding recovery #2 harder as well. I don't have the pain you're experiencing, thankfully, but my therapist yesterday explained that with two new hips, it is going to take time to "train" myself to walk properly and for that not to feel weird. Even though I'm walking well (except for uneven surfaces where I feel horribly drunk almost) it just doesn't feel natural and I definitely need work to address my gait. So, you need to relax and follow doctor's orders: rest, hydrate, ice and elevate. You are going to get through this recovery, no matter if it's tougher than last time. And remember you ARE a Rockstar!

Aww, don't feel foolish for going into the OS. You weren't wasting people's time. That's what they're there for. You're providing them with job security :heehee: Good way to look at it.

We do often read of members dealing with low grade fevers early on. I'm sure it will regulate very soon. I'm sorry this recovery feels rougher. Really though..your body is still in healing mode from the first and now not even two months later, Lefty wants in on the action of ice, rest, meds, healing energy.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend on tap and you're able to get LOTS of rest :)
Wishing you comfort and healing. :friends:
@Hipster64

@Hipster64 :hi: hello and congrats on your second shiny new hip! You've been through a lot already and I sure would have called my OS office too, with a 102.2 temperature. This is the time to be safer than sorrier. Getting there sounded rugged though. bummer. But now you can rest, cozy up in your resting place of choice, slap on heaps of ice and rest.
You did it! :happydance:
Hopefully your weekend will be calmer.

:wave: Hi @Hipster64
I hope you're feeling well and having a lovely weekend.
It's a special day...Happy Two Month Anniversary to Lefty. :flwrysmile:
Wishing you an awesome week.... take care!

Hi @Layla : Thanks for checking in! It's been a nice weekend. My dad's birthday is Friday so since my son and his girlfriend were around, I told him to come over and we would order pizza and give him his presents. So it was a nice afternoon.

I still have temps that are 99 to 100 and change, but at least they have stayed consistent and have not been spiking. My "log leg" has diminished but I still have pain radiating down to the ankle. Again, I have to remember they lengthened my left leg and straightened my pelvis this time out so I have more to recover from. I have remained vigilant with ice and elevation, and nap at least 1-2 hours a day and am not sorry. If my recovery takes longer, I am eligible for short-term disability up to 1/12/20 if need be so I can't worry about being out of work longer. At least the groin pain in my right leg that was starting up has seemed to disappear.

It's hard to believe that my right hip was replaced exactly 9 weeks ago tomorrow, and the left one will already be one week tomorrow. My goal is to attend a family wedding on Sunday 10/13. Fingers crossed!

Your poor pelvis has had some major construction work in the past 8 weeks! :thud: I'm amazed how well you are doing so soon. You ARE a star and deserve some pampering right now. Agree that there is lots of mind-muscle retraining that probably needs to go on for walking again. It doesn't happen overnight. But you've got a good team on board and a great attitude so you WILL get there! :thumb:. Week 2 will bring more good things. :yes!:

Good Morning @Hipster64
Great, that you had a nice weekend! Glad you fit in some family time. It's most comforting to spend time with those who love you and care for you most.

I'm sure the low grade temp will be gone soon. You're only one week post op, and by the way...
Happy One Week Anniversary to Lefty and Nine Weeks to Righty! :yay:

A BoneSmart colleague of mine recently posted the following in regard to post op fever which you may find interesting-
The low grade fever is the body's reaction to the trauma of surgery.
The medical name for it is Aseptic Traumatic Pyrexia.
Aseptic = no infection
Traumatic = caused by trauma
Pyrexia = fever

With that said, follow whatever instructions you were given regarding fever or signs to watch for.
You're not alone. Post op fever is routinely brought up here.

Sounds like you're fitting in some happy nappy time daily which is great. Our body does it's best healing while we're asleep. The family wedding is weeks away, so you have more time to heal and regain strength. Fingers crossed you're feeling up to it when the day arrives.
You're doing well. Have a wonderful Monday!

Hey, there @Hipster64 I hope you're waking up this morning and feeling a wee bit better. It will be a slow process for you with all the reconstruction work that's been done, but you'll get there in the end. And, yes, it is incredible to read that you had your first hip done 9 weeks ago today, and now you're starting week 2 for that second hip. What a strong and amazing woman you are! Keep on elevating, napping and icing and I hope this second week starts out well for you. I found the first two weeks to be the toughest but once I got through those things definitely seemed to look up. And with your first hip having been done so recently, you might have some idea of what to expect for hip #2. And I bet you'll be able to attend that October wedding. It's a wonderful goal, a happy family event, and while there is no guarantee, lots of collective finger crossing going on! Have a nice Monday.

Well, Home PT wasted no time this morning getting me outside with the walker. We did one lap around the street. They wanted me to do one lap tomorrow on my own since they will not be coming. I only have two more Home PT sessions left-Thursday and Friday-and then I am discharged to Outpatient on 9/26. It seems like things are moving quicker this time around-maybe because I know what to expect.

Temp was down to 97.9 this AM so they were happy with that. It was stabilized between 99 and 100 and change for days. Hopefully the fever has finally broken.

In other news, Home PT started transitioning me to the cane! I thought it was quick- I am only eight days out-but they felt I was ready. I am allowed two walks with the cane around the home under supervision to start. The end Home PT goal is to get me off the walker and completely on the cane before discharge. But the funniest part of all was that Home PT had to raise both my walker and my cane because they were too low! Either my posture has improved due to the surgery or I really did gain some height-but I'll take it either way!

Last edited:
Hope everything stabilizes for you and you make the October wedding. You've had a rough go of it and 2 hip replacements within 2 months. Do you still have fever?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom