THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Rest and relaxation sounds like a perfect idea for the weekend before your surgery. I hope you're fully enjoying it. So sorry for the pain you're dealing with as you wait for Monday. Try a heating pad and see if it brings you any relief. It doesn't really take away the pain, but in those few weeks leading up to surgery I used to lay in bed with mine watching tv at night because I found the heat comforting.
May be worth a try. Fingers crossed. :fingersx:

A half-gallon of coffee chip frozen yogurt is ready and waiting for this weekend

Love it, you deserve it! Especially after powering through the five laps up and down your street in the a.m.
I'm amazed you're still doing that.

Enjoy the evening and have a peaceful Sunday. Will look forward to your first update once you're feeling up to it.
Hugs :friends:
@Hipster64

@Barbaraj: I can't eat from after midnight on 9/9 until after the surgery is done and I am in my room. Since my surgery is even later than the last one and I didn't even get into my room until after 8 PM, I anticipate the same timeframe so we are talking almost 24 hours without food.

I just checked my paper as to what I can have on the day of surgery and black coffee is allowed. I am not a coffee drinker but for those that are, it's good to know. I'll just hydrate myself with water until it's time to leave so there will be no issues with finding a vein to start my IV upon arrival.

@Layla: My street is a very small cul-de-sac with only six houses on it so five continuous laps is not as strenuous as you would think. But for what it's worth, I am definitely in better shape going in for #2 than I was for #1.

Hi, have just read on someone else’s thread that you’re having surgery tomorrow......wishing you the very best for a speedy recovery - I’ve to get to hospital 7am Tuesday along with all other patients for that day, could be, give time difference that we are in theatre on the same day-have a restful day & hopefully lots of zzzzzz’s tonight xx

Hi @Hipster64 :wave:
Finally getting on to this last recovery stretch and soon to be back to life without that bone crunching OA pain:tada:
Attitude counts for so much in healing and I know you will do beautifully.
Healing hugs in advance:loveshwr:

Good luck tomorrow @Hipster64! You know the drill - you've got this! But I'm not envious of your required 24 hour fast though. My tummy's grumbling if I have to go 5 hours without some food. :tantrum:. Have a peaceful night and catch you when you're ready to post again. :thumb:

@Hipster64 wishing you all the best for tomorrow, second and done! You're going to do great, you've got this!
:friends:

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise! My OS called me this afternoon and asked if I would like to get my surgery done earlier. So....I will be reporting to the hospital tomorrow at 5:45 AM for 7:15 AM surgery. I am now going to be the first one done tomorrow!

The OS laughed when I told him about my "Death Penalty Dinner" which ended up being KFC, which I never get-my husband has celiac disease and KFC is full of gluten and definitely OUT. I called my dad to come over and share the 8 piece bucket of chicken and he happily obliged. Leftovers will go to my son so it's all good. With the surgery change, I am now banned from eating as of 5:30 PM. It all worked out very nicely.

My OS was reviewing the surgery schedule and thought it would be best for me to start get up and moving ASAP. That makes sense because I didn't get into a room until 8 PM the last time and therapy was already closed for the day. This way, if I am done in the AM, I can start on my therapy in the afternoon if possible. Also, I am sure the hospital is looking at kicking me out on 9/10 too, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

I also want to thank everyone for the well wishes and support for tomorrow. You guys rock!

Last edited:
Wonderful news!
Prayers, good thoughts, hugs and best wishes.
We'll look forward to your first post once you're resting comfortably.
Best of luck to you!
@Hipster64

Best wishes for tomorrow and then you really will be on your way to reclaim your life pain free and have adventures in the new year.

Woo, hoo--earlier is good, @Hipster64 and I'm hoping by the time you read this you'll be DONE, with two new shiny hips in place and the relief that THIS IS IT--NO MORE HIP SURGERY! Yes, you do face recovery for the next few months and probably well into the new year, but I'm betting you'll do really well and 2020 will be a grand year ahead. Rest comfortably, keep your chin up and hope you're home soon and back on the recovery trail. We're all waiting to hear from you, and so hopeful it's a cheerful (as cheerful as one can be post surgery and with lots of drugs in your system) report. Welcome back!

Well, THR 2, Electric Boogaloo is now history. Everything went well and I awoke in recovery 100% alert! I was sedated and had another spinal, and immediately felt my toes and started my ankle pumps. Just ate lunch and am waiting for physical therapy to come and get me up for exercise. Right now it's all good! Again, thank you for the well wishes!

Congratulations! What a relief to read you’ve already eaten :) But seriously, so glad to hear this went well. I am hoping that forewarned is forearmed, and the nursing team can prevent any tendency toward nausea.

You’ve got this!

@Ptarmigan : They were very proactive and gave me an anti-nausea patch to wear during surgery. The nurse from Surgery #1, who was assigned to my room, remembered me and told them "Absolutely nothing in the Percocet family for her..she has a horrible reaction to them!"

So far this recovery appears to be different and less painful. I have already walked the hospital corridors with my therapists and they said I was doing excellent so far. But just because it's less painful doesn't discount the fact that I just had major surgery, and I still need to take it easy.

@Hipster64, so glad surgery went off without a hitch, great that the nurse is on top of your meds issues and great job walking and eating already! Hope you have a restful night and get sprung to home so you can really start to heal!
:loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks