THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

@CricketHip: I hope all my slacks don't become too short. I am known to my family and friends as a major clotheshorse, and right now I don't have the funds to replace everything!

One more week to go until I become completely hip-bionic! Can't wait. My left leg is really hindering what my right leg can do, so it will be nice to be 100%!

Oh, I understand.. We well know the rewards waiting at the end of the surgery road, don't we?
I am little over 2 months post op and feeling very good.. beginning to see that horizon calling to me,, walking, hiking.. can't wait!!
I also can't wait to follow your recovery. :flwrysmile:

It's going to be a week that both goes very slowly, @Hipster64, as you're impatient to GET THIS OVER WITH, but also perhaps accelerate towards week's end as the reality of yet another surgery becomes increasingly real. I am not sure that you'll need to buy all new clothes as a result of a slightly longer leg but a girl can hope, can't she?!! When I am feeling 100% again, I told my husband that I was going to hit the stores and find a "perfect" new outfit of some sort, to celebrate the last hip replacement ever! I already have long legs and shopping for pants can be frustrating, but I'll be up for the challenge in a few months, I'm sure. Hang in there this last week, trying to deal with the ongoing discomfort and making sure you've got everything lined up and ready to go for recovery #2. Cheers!

Hello and Happy Monday! :wave:
You sound resigned and ready. Only one week until your big day.
I'm sure it helps ease the anxiety already having experienced this all once and realizing firsthand the relief it brings. This time you have the extra height to look forward to, lol.
I hope this week flies by and your pain is tolerable as you await the 9th. Not long now...
Have a great week!
@Hipster64

@Barbaraj: I shopped online yesterday and found a Susan Graver blouse on QVC.com that I had been coveting since it first hit the airwaves and I happened to see it on TV, and lo and behold, it was on clearance yesterday. It was still a bit out of my price range but I figured after gong through two surgeries, I deserved it. At least I don't have to worry about leg length with a blouse. And it's supposed to arrive on 9/10, the day after my surgery. Nice welcome-home present!

@Layla: I had my 6 week post-op for Surgery #1/clearance for surgery #2 appointment with the OS this morning and they-OS, NP and orthopedic nurse-were all pleased with my progress. For helping me get my life back, they too received a box of Hawaiian Host chocolate covered macadamia nuts. My OS cheerfully told me "See you next Monday!" Don't worry, you will! :)

@Hipster64 good deal on the blouse and perfect time for it to arrive. Awesome post-op/clearance for upcoming surgery. Nice way to multitask. :snork:

Wishing you the best for next Monday just in case I don't get back to you before then!
:thumb:

Loved catching up on your posts and hear your enthusiasm for recovery. You got this, just think where you'll be in about 7 weeks from now? Loved hearing about your Susan Graver blouse. The perfect pick me up. :flwrysmile:

@CricketHip: I am trying my best to make this a positive experience because this is only going to give me a more positive outcome on life down the road. I decided early on that I was going to be proactive and try to have as much fun as I can with it because it's my reality and what else can I do? That's why I bought the hip replacement T-shirts such as my avatar; decorated my walker with purple glitter tape and found a Hawaiian flower cane; done everything the physical and occupational therapists have asked me to do; and have done my best to be a model and positive patient at the hospital, PT and my OS. I do admit that I also have a great support system with my family and that helps in spades.

I also am a firm believer that knowledge is power, and forewarned is forearmed. That's the number one reason why I joined this forum and vowed to take any and all suggestions and tips to get through this 100% seriously. You all have been here before me and as I have told newer pre-op posters, there is such of wealth of experience and support on here to be gained. I can't tell you how much I have learned from all of you and how much confidence I have gained knowing that I made the right decision to have these surgeries and that every day I gain more strength, and I thank all of you for that.

Finally, my late mom plays a major role in this whole thing. Among the multiple illnesses she suffered, the main one was rheumatoid arthritis (which thankfully I do not have, both OS and PCP confirm I have osteo). However, instead of being proactive, my mother chose a different path. She refused any physical therapy, even after having a cervical spinal fusion in Boston; trusted her rheumatologist 100% and took everything he said as gospel, refusing to consider any other opinions, even after becoming perpetually angry and depressed; and thanks to said doctor, ended up developing a Vicodin addiction that consumed her. After watching her rapidly deteriorate over a two year period, I vowed that if I ever had any type of medical issue that A. I would be proactive and take care of it ASAP; B. Have no fear questioning doctors about any issues or concerns I have; C. Maintain a positive attitude throughout to the best of my ability, and even try to have some fun. So.....here I am! :) It's funny because when I was going under for Surgery #1, I swore I heard my mom saying "You're doing the right thing".

I can so relate to you and your philosophies.. you are going into your last hip surgery with a good mind set..
You got this!! Totally. :loveshwr:

I agree! Words to live by, @Hipster64, especially resonating with me was the comment about trying to maintain a positive attitude no matter what. Sure, that's really hard at time and doesn't mean you won't have meltdowns, but you seem to be suggesting that you simply pick yourself up after that and plunge forward. That's the spirit! Being pro-active about your health, and staying positive, are great philosophies in my book. I am all admiration! You are going to do great with this second surgery, I am convinced, and 2020 will be a banner year.

Hi @Hipster64
What a healthy attitude you have. The story about your mom is heartbreaking. It must have been very difficult to helplessly watch her go down the path she chose. Thankfully it gave you a firm resolve in how you'd handle any unforeseen health issues that arose. Life gave you Lemmons and you're making Lemonade. Your post is inspirational and hopefully it encourages others to look at THR in a more positive way. It's a joy following your journey and I wish you comfort as you await your surgery on Monday.

Wishing you comfort over the weekend as you await Monday.
Will look forward to hearing from you when you're feeling up to it.
You're almost there. :yay:
@Hipster64

Thank you again, everyone, for your kind words and support; it is very much appreciated and means a lot to me. I am back to washing with my special soap and have been stripped of most of my vitamins and pills, so you know it's coming!

Just got the call today from the hospital that I have to report to the surgery department at 1:30, meaning that I probably won't get operated on until 3 PM. At first I was perturbed because I was hoping for an earlier surgery time-on Surgery #1 arrival was 12:30, operation around 2 PM, in recovery by 5 PM and didn't get into a room until 8 PM. But then I thought about it and figured that at least I can sleep in the day of surgery, take a nice shower and wash my hair so I won't feel completely scummy in the hospital. Besides, my health insurance just approved my hospital stay until 9/11, so if I'm not ready to go by 9/10, I have another day as leeway, as what happened last time on Surgery #1. Here's hoping they remember that I don't get along with meds in the Percocet family so we don't have a vomiting replay like last time!

Well, that is a later time, but like the idea of sleeping in! By the time I could relax and doze off it was time to wake up for my early morning surgeries.. Wake up was 4 am.. I kept hoping that my surgeon snagged some sleep!
Wishing for you the very best on Monday!
No nausea, good pain control and home sweet home waiting for you!
Soon to be a double hippie!

Morning @Hipster64. Just got caught up with your thread. There were moments when I was very young and saw a situation that was negative in my family I would "bookmark" that so I didn't repeat it "when I grow up". I'm cheering you on for tomorrow and a great attitude. This dance is for you!

:happyfeet:

Wishing you the very best, @Hipster64, and I hope this last weekend before surgery you maybe have something fun planned for yourself, to help distract you from your Big Day on Monday. I love how you've taken the "lemon" of a late hospital arrival/surgery, and turned it into lemonade. And here's hoping that the hospital WILL recall that you and Percocet don't get along. If you're having the surgery at the same hospital, their records should reflect that, and one would hope they review those records prior to this upcoming surgery. I had some sort of reaction to a drug (Celebrex, I think) which really lowered my blood pressure such that I got some sort of IV "flushing" fairly quickly to get it out of my system. With this second hip I know I wasn't given that, or at least I had no problems with too low blood pressure. But, just in case, you might want to remind them of this fact.

Nothing fun planned for this weekend, just some rest and relaxation. My left leg has been in some serious pain since I've been stripped off a lot of meds pre-surgery. On Wednesday I met a friend at a large factory outlet complex (Wrentham Village in MA) for lunch and shopping. Although I used my little portable shopping cart for support to walk around, my left leg started throbbing once I got home and even with still being allowed to take Tramadol and Tylenol, have not had much relief since. However, I am still continuing to walk the five laps up and down my street once my AM Tramadol kicks in somewhat, because I still want to continue exercising to the best of my ability. Just did it this afternoon. I am hoping that since we have done significant prehab to the left leg, that I will have even better results with it than the right one-and the right one went through with flying colors!

Since tomorrow is my last day to eat before my surgery and I can't eat the day of, I, with my dark humor have dubbed my last meal tomorrow before surgery the "Death Penalty Dinner". If I don't go out tomorrow, I plan on taking out a really nice meal from a restaurant or at the very least a favorite fast food meal of my choice. A half-gallon of coffee chip frozen yogurt is ready and waiting for this weekend. Since my surgery is even later than the last one, I definitely anticipate at least 24 hours without eating like last time, so by God, this weekend I'm going to enjoy it!

Right on, @Hipster64! You have a fabulous meal tomorrow with all your favorite foods and enjoy them all. You definitely deserve a wonderful meal if you've got to go 24 hours with nothing--that would be hard. Does that include no coffee, too? Shudder...too awful to contemplate.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom