THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Hipster64

Country
United States United States
Well, it's over and done with! I am in my hospital bed right now recuperating from my right THR done this afternoon. I already used my walker to get to the bathroom. The OS told my husband that the surgery went right to plan, that I was an excellent candidate for the surgery, and my right hip was a lot worse than the xrays showed. So I am definitely confident that I made the right decision.

Pain has been fairly minimal so far but I haven't really done too much. Am looking forward to physical therapy tomorrow to test my new hip out!

Last edited:
congratulations @Hipster64 ! You are on the other side and by the sound of your post, you are doing well!
Isn't it crazy how you're already up and walking some? I hope you can get some rest tonight and your pain is well controlled. :loveshwr:

@Hipster64 welcome to the healing side, glad everything went well and you've already taken your first stroll. Minimum pain is good, hopefully they stay on top of your meds, please take them if offered though you may not think you need them at that moment, stay ahead of the pain. Hope you have a peaceful and restful night's sleep.

Thanks everyone! I do want to clarify that I had to have nurses help me walk, but I am pleased that I was at least able to move a bit. I have been up three times with assistance so far and I have a feeling the fourth time will be coming very shortly.

Because there were no available rooms after my surgery, I was not moved from recovery to my hospital room until 8 PM. My OS, who met with me before surgery, told me that he normally discharges patients the next afternoon but realistically I don't think that's going to happen, since I haven't even had any physical therapy yet. I anticipate a 7/17 discharge and that's fine by me.

I must say that when I woke up from the anesthesia in the recovery room I was quite alert. I had a spinal block so I felt paralyzed from the pelvic area down, but it soon began to wear off. I started doing ankle pumps the minute I was able to do so and have been continuing them in the hospital bed. They also took my brace off last night and disconnected me from my IV, so I know I am making progress.

Let's see what the rest of the day brings. One minute at a time! And I get to do this all over again on 9/9!

Last edited:
So glad to see your post.
Hopefully you will get home do you can assume the position :ice:
Healing hugs coming your way, new hippy.:friends:

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
I was looking for a thumbs up from you over on the pre-op side before my morning joe had me thinking clearly and here you are...right where you're supposed to be! :happydance:
I hope you're resting comfortably and your pain is well managed. Looking forward to following your journey.

Following is some easy reading when you're feeling up to it -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Hipster64

Last edited:
Hurray, @Hipster64! You made it. Great news that you got the brace off and IV disconnected--progress towards getting home soon, I hope. Also glad to read that no real pain which must be a relief. You're going to do great, and be in fine shape for round 2 which is just around the corner! And as terrified as I was of the whole spinal/sedation business (more freaked about that then the actual surgery!) I, too, was amazed at how alert I was in recovery--much better than having GA. Nice to read your cautiously upbeat report!

Congratulations on your good progress! I can’t imagine feeling alert in recovery, that’s great! (I wound up with GA, it was a bit like being Alice in Wonderland, not in a good way!
Keep up the positivity!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words; they are much appreciated. I have gone to physical therapy twice and they said I was doing awesome, which made me very happy!

However, I have had a setback. I have been having a horrible reaction to the drugs and anesthesia I received and have been receiving. I have been vomiting all day today. I threw up my entire breakfast this afternoon and have been vomiting green bile all day ever since. Had anyone else experienced this post-recovery? I was actually going to be discharged tonight but due to the vomiting, I am supposed to go home tomorrow now, if I feel better.

Again, thank you for the well wishes!

@Hipster64
Awe that's a bummer. I'm sorry that happened, but it has happened to others. I hope you feel better soon. Are they giving you anti nausea medication? They should be. Hope you get on something that agrees with you and helps the pain. My husband had shoulder surgery and got sick from his pain medication. Every time he tried to eat he up chucked. He came home the next day and got on something else, I just don't remember. He did barf on the way home too, the car ride made him sick. He got better really quick tho once off the really strong stuff. He could not eat at the hospital, so I ate his food when they brought it, they had really good meals, it seemed a shame to let it go to waste. Gosh that sounds terrible of me....:shrug: Sure hope you feel better soon...♥️

Had anyone else experienced this post-recovery?
Yes! After my second knee replacement (spinal/sedation) I spent hours dry heaving. They tried various anti nausea meds and finally gave me a shot of steroids (I think--it's all a bit hazy) which did the trick. One of the many people I told about the nausea experience before my recent hip op wondered if they'd maybe given me some gas along with the propofol during the knee op and that was what caused the nausea. Who knows.

After this hip op I was a bit dizzy for a while until they gave me some meclizine, which cleared things up.

Plus, lots of folks on here have reported nausea in reaction to pain meds, which might be your situation.

Thank you for your reassurance! It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one that has had to go through this. My stomach seems to have settled a bit but my head still hurts. Luckily the nurse just came in with Tyleno and aspirin. Here's hoping that it helps!

Hope it helps. I got very I'll after one surgery but think it was a combination of over use of anesthesia and eating before I was ready. Had to eat to leave so ate the sandwich they gave me. Made it home and immediately lost it, really weird yellowish bile. Laid down and went to sleep, woke up feeling much better. I'm thinking it has to be combination of anesthesia and meds. Gentle hugs, hope you get some rest tonight and things settle down

Ugh, no fun at all! glad you are still there until they get things settled down, though. I tend to get nauseated by meds and made sure they gave me a big dose of anti nausea medications right before my drive home. Just to be safe. It worked. I hope you have a restful and uneventful night.:sleep:

Oh I am so sorry to hear this! I hope anti-nausea meds will settle your stomach. I have seen a number of posters refer to nausea post-op, and there are many references to the good effectiveness of anti-nausea drugs. Will keep fingers crossed that this will resolve very very soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom