Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I would suggest that these two cases are not exceptional, merely that these two chanced to get into the newspapers. Projecting these into later times, it is not illogical that there would be a considerable number of people still active on hips that where installed some 30, 40 years before or even longer.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_norwicoyo.jpg

This week (23rd May 2013) I had this email conversation with Barry who just wanted to let me know about his hip! He lives in Australia

My hip was replaced in 1972 January hence is 41 years old and still going strong.
I was Born 1949. now 64.
Barry
I certainly would like to know more! That’s amazing!

Do you know what kind of hip it is?

Josephine

The type? no, it is a metal socket with a long stem in the femur with a ball on the end.
I was born with dislocated hips, only my left was finally in place at 6 years of age. I learned to walk in any case and at the age of 21 my left hip and joint gave me trouble due to the out of socket period. The most common problem at the time of installation of a new Hip, was concerns they would loosen. Most elderly would would suffer failures at the time with loosening. I was only 21, Dr John B Maloney fitted a new hip and instructed that I be on my back in bed for 10 days before attempting to walk on the new prosthesis. He said to the Hospital staff that he wanted the glue to dry.
In the 70's and 80's I continued to water ski, a sporting hobby of mine and continued to work in the Electronic industry to this day. My life has been very active and have done a lot more than I have stated. I recently had a new Knee fitted in the same left side and going fine. The Right side while fully dislocated has given me no trouble.
Regards
Barry

Loved the bit about allowing the glue to dry! The ‘glue’ using is methylmethacrylate bone cement and it sets as solid as marble in about 9 minutes! He obviously wasn’t too clued up about hip replacements but that’s no shame – few people were in those days!

Josephine
Interesting about the Glue. The way he put it at the time, "lets say I am letting the glue dry" he was probably being either cynical or waving the staff off the issue of my bed rest as they questioned the time period. I know what you are saying as people are encouraged to walk the next day. Mr Maloney at the time was a teacher in the industry and highly regarded, it would be interesting to know what the philosophy was in his decision.
Yes, you are quite welcome to post it.
Barry

In November 2014, I was told by a recently retired hip surgeon of my acquaintance, that the previous week he had done a revision on a lady whose hip he replaced in 1973 meaning it was 42 years old!

And that the following week he would be revising the hip of a gentleman whose hip he replaced 3 years earlier in 1970 meaning it was 45 years old!

They were both metal on polyethylene - and not the modern highly cross linked variety either!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom