THR Hippyhooray’s recovery – Left THR

Hippyhooray

Country
United States United States
What a difference a day makes!

I am now 24 hours out from surgery resting at home since yesterday afternoon! It's way more peaceful here than it was at the surgical facility.

It had been quite an emotional rollercoaster the last week of my 12 week wait, during which time my condition declined – reassuring me I had to do this. In the early stages of OA I did not even have terrible pain and thought I had just pulled a muscle but it progressed from annoying to quickly debilitating in a year and a half. The severe OA had gotten so bad in the weeks leading up to surgery that I would get pain just from sneezing! Was only able to walk with assistance from cane.

The surgery center and surgeon were great but a nurse had trouble getting the IV in, my hand got stabbed a number of times and that really hurt. One member of the team had the worst bedside manner ever, minimizing, almost mocking my concerns. After surgery someone actually said to me "no pain no gain" (not the PT, who was great).

Because I have heard so many success stories on this board and from friends, I had an expectation of not having any pain at all once I was given painkillers and the arthritic hip was gone. This was not the case. There was post-surgical pain in the area when I use the walker, but today I'm starting to realize that the bone on bone pain is gone! Another thing I'm noticing is that there is a difference from having pain that's getting worse each day as opposed to the pain from recovery which will lessen each day.

Wishing much healing to all those on the mend.

And just like that, you are now on the recovery side! Congratulations on your new hip!

I will leave you our recovery articles, please read through them and refer to them as needed as they can answer many questions that will arise in the next several weeks.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Because I have heard so many success stories on this board and from friends, I had an expectation of not having any pain at all once I was given painkillers and the arthritic hip was gone. This was not the case. There was post-surgical pain in the area when I use the walker, but today I'm starting to realize that the bone on bone pain is gone! Another thing I'm noticing is that there is a difference from having pain that's getting worse each day as opposed to the pain from recovery which will lessen each day.
There you go! That is it exactly! Of course there will be surgical pain but hopefully you have an understanding surgical team who wants you comfortable, taking pain meds and other support medications.
But goodbye to that grinding, "broken glass" feeling inside that hip.
Don't forget this little nugget.... :ice: It will help you immensely.

Again, congrats and happy healing.

today I'm starting to realize that the bone on bone pain is gone! Another thing I'm noticing is that there is a difference from having pain that's getting worse each day as opposed to the pain from recovery which will lessen each day.
Understanding this early on certainly helps us have realistic expectations.
I am sorry you had such a rough time towards the end of being pre-op. Sounds miserable. Thankfully you're now on the bright side! :SUNsmile: Wishing you lots of comfort and an easy peasy recovery.

Continuing on this journey (Day 4), I continue to improve and able to manage the pain by staying on meds schedule. I had so much worry during the months leading up to surgery. It was nerve-wracking to contemplate my future post-op pain in the midst of the pre-op pain. In retrospect the grinding from OA was so much worse.

I am still in awe that the old bad hip is history. :dancy:

Taking one day at a time.

In retrospect the grinding from OA was so much worse.
Pre-op pain is horrid and there is nothing that touches it. So glad all that is behind you.

Still very early days - easy does it!

:flwrysmile:Knowing that the result after babying this leg for a while is getting back to a pain free life is a big incentive for keeping things slow and steady, for sure
Keep chilling:ice:
:friends:

:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Please share, we'd love to red about your progress since surgery.
Wishing you all the best and hope to hear from you soon!
@Hippyhooray

:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Please share, we'd love to red about your progress since surgery.
Wishing you all the best and hope to hear from you soon!
@Hippyhooray
I am doing amazingly well, bandage is off and I walked over a mile yesterday! I’m feel well physically but still letting go of the stress of dealing of many months of pain and stress during the wait for surgery.

I find that the spirit of curiosity has led me to walk without the cane, and when I could walk upstairs leg over leg. I am very thankful for my OS and to have had this procedure at this point in time when many improvements have been made!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope it just keeps getting better!
A great rest of Spring to you with wishes for a beautiful Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Hippyhooray

My hip recovery has been going well, and I have been returning to normal activities and really appreciating being released from the prison of pain.

But I was very surprised at my recent annual physical to find out I had gained about 14 lbs! There really hadn’t been any major dietary changes, and I’ve been fairly active, certainly more than pre-surgery. My GP told me that it’s common for hip patients to retain fluids, sometimes for several months after surgery. This was the first time I had heard of this phenomenon.

As someone who has struggled with weight issues in the past, I had been so glad to steadily maintain a normal weight for over a year prior to surgery. I am trying not to freak out over this, especially with my doctor’s assurance that it’s a normal occurence, and “not my fault.”

Wondering if others have encountered any sudden weight gain/fluid retention several weeks post-surgery and any solutions?

Thanks in advance!

@Hippyhooray - I also weighed a lot more after surgery and freaked out. I thought it must be the weight of the implant until I read on here about the fluid retention. I just kept eating and drinking normally and healthily and the weight did get back to normal after a while. I can’t remember how long after though but I’m sure I mentioned it in my thread. It’s beginning to creep up again but that’s definitely from eating too much.

Some of the medications they have you on post surgery can cause weight gain via water retention and slowed digestion. (A week after my first hip replacement I made the mistake of stepping on the scale and was pretty indignant that I had gained 6 lbs.) And even without taking into account medication side effects my weight can vary easily within 2 lbs from day-to-day depending on how well hydrated I am and/or if I had a salty restaurant meal the day before.

Depending on your general level of fitness prior to your surgery you may have built back some additional muscle by now; maybe even enough to make a difference on the scale. And those doctor's scales...depending on what you were wearing at your two appointments.....who knows. My doctor never has me take my shoes off. Anyway, while 14lbs can't be the result of measurement errors alone, remember that if your clothes really aren't feeling tighter, and your doctor is happy with your lab work and you are feeling better and moving around better you are healthier, despite what you think that scale is telling you.

Take Care

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you've had a nice June so far. Enjoy the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Hippyhooray

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks