BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Hippy Bchbum4evr

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Bchbum4evr, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Bchbum4evr

Bchbum4evr junior member

United States United States
    I'm 51, live in Florida and am scheduled for July 17! As most here, I've suffered for several years, tried shots, physical therapy and chiropractor. OS has mentioned THR in the past but I held out because I could still manage daily life. Well, no more.

I have RV trips to take, motorcycle rides to do, hikes to hike and most important, grandbabies to play with!

After finding this site I realized I was very uninformed. I have Pre-Op on the 12th, but no other instructions. I've not been told to start taking supplements , no suggested pre-op exercises or to stop any meds. Truly, every dr is different. I also see many of you are from U.K. Or overseas which may make a difference.

Questions I still have that I feel y'all can answer.

Is there a formal name for 'spinal w sedation'? I'd like to ask if that's a possibility with my dr.

How do I find out heights of chairs/toilets that are optimal to avoid the 90 degree restriction (which I may or may not be given).

Thanks in advance. I know I'll be here a lot as things get closer and I start panicking. I'm most anxious about being dependent on hubby during recovery. I'm always the caretaker..

2. Eman85

Eman85 senior

Welcome. Pre-op class should tell you everything, a lot to know about so if they don't give a book take notes. When I say a book I mean it, my OS gave me my handbook at the office visit and it described Pre-op class, had every contact's info and post op and pre op exercises even included post op sex positions.
    Ahhh the dreaded raised toilet! What worked for me was a portable bedside toilet and you remove the bucket and set it over your toilet. It's an adjustable height metal frame with a toilet seat. I tried the raised ring with handles and it was horrid. Got lucky and someone in my town had the portable one on marketplace. I had a list of needs and was able to find everything before surgery. I borrowed a walker from a friend, plenty sitting in people's closets. I went to our local repurpose store and they had canes,grabbers and a dressing stick/ You'll have plenty of info on what you'll need.
    A spinal with sedation is about it on what to ask for. You should be able to talk to the anesthesiologist ahead of time if you desire. I didn't take any supplements and post op just kept taking a multi-vitamin, 1 aspirin a day and a formatadine(Pepcid) for stomach protection and Miralax for the raised toilet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bchbum4evr

Bchbum4evr junior member

Thanks @Eman85 Guess my concern is Pre-Op is 5 days before surgery. Not much time to prep. Thank goodness for this site.

We have rails that attach to the toilet we bought for when my Aunt was here for our wedding in April. I have a walker to borrow, can find crutches if needed and canes are easy. Bedroom is downstairs and a walk in shower.

Hubby is thrilled he gets to take care of me... I'm the caretaker (mother, father and brother and hubby when ill). I'm concerned he's going to drive me batty hovering! Lol

Am blessed work isn't a concern, but camping in RV 6 weeks post op is very important.

It's all good...right???

4. dlp

dlp junior member

Is it also raised? It's not the handles, but the height you need to worry about if you are given the restriction.

I'd give a call to the surgeon about restrictions now rather than waiting until the 12th. If you are going to have any, you'll want a head start on getting any devices you might need. You'll also want to get your house set up to make sure you don't break any restrictions.

It would also probably be worth asking if they offer any classes or have any literature on what to expect as well. There are a lot of resources on this site, but getting expectations directly from the surgeon will make sure you know you'll be meeting his recommendations/expectations.

We have the same surgery date on the same side! Hope your surgery goes as well as my first one did. (Heh, I also am hoping my second one goes as well as my first)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Measure the height of a standard chair like a dining chair or desk chair (floor to seat). If your toilet is the same height you will probably be fine. If not - you may need a raised seat.

Some hospitals have pre-op information on their websites. Or perhaps your surgeon has a site?

6. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I would recommend calling your OA office to find which type of surgery you will be having and whether you will have any restrictions. I had anterior so had no restrictions except for no bungee jumping (standard dr line I think). My OA said I wouldn’t need a raised seat and I didn’t. I actually only purchased a dressing stick from Amazon which came in handy and some gel ice bags which got lots of use. Then our local rescue squad keeps a huge supply of medical equipment that anyone can borrow at no charge so we got a shower chair from there as we have a tub and I couldn’t get my leg over the edge of the tub for the first couple weeks. The chair was a huge help. I also got s couple books to read although I could seem to concentrate on reading for about the first ten days or so.

Take advantage of the hovering husband for the first couple of weeks and then you will gradually find you can do more and more for yourself. Those first couple weeks though, the trips to the bathroom and kitchen will be enough as you need plenty of rest.

I forgot to mention that the hospital gave me a cane and walker. Then I made a carry bag to attach to the walker so I could carry meds, drinks, phone, iPad, snack, etc. myself without always asking my husband. Sometimes it seems hard to ask for too much help but we need to do it at first.

You will do just fine. The waiting is the hardest part but your date will be here before you know it. Then recovery seems to move faster than we anticipate most of the time although we are all different. Wishing you well. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. honeybeast

honeybeast junior member

Back up to the chair. If the chair hits above the bend in your knees, it's fine. If it's below the bend it's too low and should be avoided.

8. Eman85

Eman85 senior

Chairs....Chairs are going to be an important part of your life. The ideal chair will be tall enough and have arms to help you get up. Pre-op exercise for me was doing repeated lifts out of a chair just using my arms like pushups. One of the best chairs for me was one of those cheapo plastic patio chairs with arms. I had a couple around and used one at the dining table. A comfortable recliner is also important. Practice getting into bed by backing in and sliding in and then pivoting. You'll most likely be backing into the toilet also using your hand between your legs to lower you down. 5 days is OK, less time to worry. It's summer, you'll avoid using a sock aid! Get a pair of comfortable slip on sneakers or regular sneakers with elastic laces and a long shoehorn.

9. Bchbum4evr

Bchbum4evr junior member

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I did call OS office Friday but haven't heard back (they close at noon on Fridays). If I do have restrictions, I will have to raise the toilet seat (thanks @honeybeast you spelled it out like I needed).

This am I'm having a pity party but know it's normal and this too will pass. Headed to a friends house shortly to swim and relax.

10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

It all seems very daunting pre-op. We all questioned how we could possibly get through all this. But in the end the worrying pre-op is the worst part. You will cope with any restrictions and somehow manage to get through recovery without needing to buy a house full of recovery aids.

Hope you have a relaxing day!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

I didn’t have any restrictions either, but I did notice that a raised toilet seat came in handy during the first week or so. All the sore muscles didn’t like to go to low lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Believe it or not, the formal name is spinal and sedation!

13. Eman85

Eman85 senior

Getting on and off of the toilet is still a chore restrictions or not. A toilet frame with handles to push off from and to let yourself down is the big thing. It might only be for a week or 2 but that's a long time to hold it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bchbum4evr

Bchbum4evr junior member

@Eman85. I've already admitted I'll need a higher seat! Just was hoping not.

Anyone else experienced increased pain before surgery. Or am I just imaging it's worse because it's so close to surgery, but also still so far!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

By the time I had my surgery I was severely sleep deprived, hurting and miserable.
    In hindsight, kept all doubts at bay.
    Just get it done already, I was thinking...until that morning maybe.:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Eman85

Eman85 senior

My pain lessened just before op just to make me have my doubts.

17. dlp

dlp junior member

Pain days came and went early on, but eventually it seemed to never let up. The weeks leading up to the surgery were the worst. Like @Mojo333, I was dealing with lack of sleep and was pretty miserable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bchbum4evr

Bchbum4evr junior member

Pain is much better today, which is good as it was making me grumpy!

Visited with friends last night, he had THR a year or so ago. Wanted his thoughts and story on recovery and Hubby wanted to know from caretaker's view (his wife) what he can expect. He's pretty nervous about being a good caretaker, I know he will do fine. ANYWAYs, didn't help much because he went from hospital directly to rehab place for 2 weeks. His wife would visit him a couple times a day, but was not really involved in his immediate care. He said they didn't ice him :yikes: at all, but he did wear compression sock for many weeks. First time I've heard of having to have compression socks - Am I just a newb and should know that?

Am disappointed OS's office hasn't called me back about what approach he's using, but will call again tomorrow.

Hope all you 'about to's' are having a good day...

19. Eman85

Eman85 senior

No compression socks here, I took 1 aspirin a day and did ankle pumps and such for blood flow. I don't know how or why you'd not ice. I don't even see how people make it with ice packs, too much trouble for not enough icing time. I was released with a Breg Polar Care Cube, basically a icing machine that circulates ice water. You load it into it's small cooler and place the pad where you want to ice. We froze 12 water bottles and rotating them 4 at a time would last 24hrs. You could use it continuously even when you slept. My wife was home the first week, but I really didn't require much care. She made meals and such but I was pretty self sufficient. Practice things like lifting yourself out of a chair, that was a pre op exercise I did. Do it like backwards sit ups 10 reps at a time in a chair with arms. look closely at your chairs as you will be spending a lot of time in them. You want comfort but you also have to get in and out of them. It's like the toilet, restrictions or not with a weak leg it's all harder. See how it will be getting into a car, you have to back into the seat and then pivot to get in. Check out how you'll get in the shower, something to hold on to is nice, especially for turning around as you have to watch how you pivot. Also a sponge on a stick is nice since it's hard to bend for your feet.

20. Alitm

Alitm junior member

Canada Canada
    @Bchbum4evr I hear you on the increased pain. Helpful to hear others are or were in the same boat pre-op. I'm not until mid September and it does seem like a very L O N G time away pain wise:groan: