THR Hippity Doo Dah!<

Welcome to Recovery. It's so good to see your post here. I think several of us have been anxiously awaiting a response from you. I'm sorry to read you're having a rough start. I'm sure they'll get it figured out soon.
Wishing you comfort in the meantime.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines to peruse when you're resting comfortably. I hope that's soon.
Hugs and best wishes.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
So glad you have your new hip! Now, I'm hoping they get that pain under control so you can rest, and then start your recovery. You've been dealing with pain for too long....I'm sure you are more than ready to have that behind you!:flwrysmile:

@Carriemay60 Welcome to the other side! Hope you got your meds sorted. It can be tricky at first - just keep working with staff until you find the right "cocktail".

First, thank you all for all your loving support. It really means the world to know so many are right there to catch you if you fall. Love you all

I was taken into theatre 15 minutes before schedule. OS was very 8n favour of sedation and so I made a deal with my anesthetists that they would keep me as deep as possible. Spinal went in fine for concerns about my risk bulge were unfounded. I had already had Ativan and honestly don't remember anything after being told to lie down after the spinal needle. Until I woke up! I could talk so asked if they knew I was awake. I could hear some banging about. I could feel some pressure and tugging but no pain at all. He said they were just finishing but asked me if I wanted to go back under, I said yes and I was gone again.

The stem and ball were in great shape and saved. The old band holding the femur was quite a mess and the OS thought it was likely causing some grief so he removed it. Only a short report ago far from my husband so hope to hear more when the OS pops in.

Then in recovery I was a bit confused because I had booked a semi-private room and there were people everywhere. Got that explained and relaxed until about noon when I decided I was hungry. Final got some tea & cookies.

The food here is terrible so my family brought me in some lovely hot sausage rolls and cold peaches. We only live about 2km away.
As soon as the freezing was coming out in the OP leg enough for me to rotate my foot, I could feel the pain in my upper/front thigh, incision area and buttock and it just got worse & worse. Rarely lower than a 7 and going up to a 10 with spasm. They have been great trying to get it sorted out and have now reached the point that I can doze for as much as an hour right after IV pain meds.
I had to use the bedpan once yesterday which was a horrible wet bed experience so I made sure PT had me on the commode before she left. I have been up onto the commode 3 times in the night.

Whew - glad they got your meds sorted. Sounds like you are doing well. Rest as much as you can. Don't let PT push you. Easy does it - slow and steady is the way to go.

:console2:oh my stars...sorry for the rough start, my friend.
I had a six or seven hour period once anaesthesia left where I had some pretty wicked pain too.
Took a bit also to get sorted and it had me on alert when I got home to stay ahead of it. Didn't realize that hospital never offered me ice either...maybe you could ask. Hope you will be going home soon so you can be more comfortable.
Sending healing hugs and good mojo your way:loveshwr:

:flwrysmile:All done, welcome to the bright healing side @Carriemay60! I hope they are able to keep that pain well under control for you. Sending hugs and best wishes for a brilliant recovery. x

Found you! I’ve been hoping to hear from you with your new hippie :loveshwr: I’m hoping by now they have gotten ahead of pain. Hoping second day is much better for you. Ice is your friend. Sending prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery. :flwrysmile:

@Jaycey All PT has let me do so far is a bit of ankle rotation, coaching and assistance for getting in and out of bed, and some side stepping to get onto commode. This morning they plan a bit of forward walking, hopefully stairs (only have 4 very sturdy ones to get in the house and will be staying on main floor) Once I can walk a bit I can go home.

@mojo I asked for ice before they offered yesterday but they keep bringing new ones. I would not be coping at all without it!

The doc was in. All good. Leaving me on the higher pain meds going home and instructed to call right away if it's not enough. When I expressed my concern about how bad the pain is he reminded me that a revision was much more painful and he said the muscle work they did on the butt area was very significant.
I was initially very nervous to go home this early but once I am in the house I know I will be very happy to be there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts