THR Hipdeedo in recovery

Hipdeedo

Country
United States United States
Surgery went fine. They got me to my feet same day. Also walked a bit on day two plus group exercise. All the caretakers were wonderful as they were with the 1st hip.
Home now, third day.
I don't remember all the swelling that I am currently experiencing. No hotspots or rashes, or temps rising.
Home PT will be in Tues and Home Health will change the bandage later in the week.
Should I let the PT guy do his thing or suggest we go easy until the swelling goes down some?

Happy to hear you are out of surgery and home! Keep icing and elevating for the swelling. The ice will compliment your painkillers as well. The only PT you need is some ankle pumps, short walks around the house. Really no more than taking the long way to and from the bathroom every hour or two and very slowly build on that.

@Hipdeedo Welcome to the other side. You will see I moved your first post-op post to a thread of your own in the recovery area. Keep all your updates and questions about this journey on this thread so that we have a history in one place if we need to advise you.
Should I let the PT guy do his thing or suggest we go easy until the swelling goes down some?
Although your PT will probably disagree, hips don't need lots of PT. Just walking is fine and then not to excess. Do not let PT force you to do anything. You are healing. All that exercise can come later when the trauma has eased.

Here are some guidelines for you. Get that icing and elevation going. It will decrease the swelling.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi :wave: Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. :welome:
Since you asked....I agree with Jaycey's advice to hold off on PT for now.
They'll be plenty of time for that once you've healed a bit and are feeling stronger.
While it is a personal choice, It's really not necessary.
I'd hate to see you struggling through exercises and possibly sidelined if pushed too hard.
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.

:wave:hope your pain is well managed and you are keeping that new hip on ice:ice:
All temporary...so keep all slow and easy.
Wishing you a Good Day!:tada:

Thanks for all the replays. The swelling has receded almost completely, through ice and elevation. As soon as I continue to do this it doesn't swell much now. The incision looked good when the bandage was changed yesterday, so I'm no longer anxious about infection.
I'm 11 days in and I think I could be moving towards a cane by this time next week.
Life is good.

:ok:Super good news...way to go!
Slow is the way to go right now.
Hope this next week is healing and happy!:SUNsmile:

Always happy to hear the good outcomes. Looking forward to hearing more of your recovery.

:wave:@Hipdeedo
Just wondering how recovery is coming along?
Hopefully all is well with you.
Hope today is a Good Day:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom