BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hip Troubles

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by bhill22, May 23, 2017.

1. zinnia

zinnia senior

United States United States
    Of course you are frightened @bhill22; you've been through a whole lot. But hold on, you've come back to the right place for some advice.

I think @clodaghcov's suggestion to either be firm with the surgeon's office and/or get a sooner appointment with your GP or Internist explaining the situation so you can get some relief for that pain. I'm not a doctor or a nurse obviously but I have dislocated and you would not be on your feet if you had. . .I'm pretty sure.

I can't be of any help about the clicks and the pops but I've heard others talk about experiencing them. Hopefully someone with that experience will be around to help. It is the swelling a year after the surgery that worries me and the intense pain. Are you walking without an appliance, a cane or a walker? How has your daily life been affected by this? Those are things your surgeon needs to know to know how serious this may or may not be.

At any rate, I sure do hope you get some help and some answers very, very soon. We all wish you well, of course, but you will have to be your own advocate and speak openly to your doctors, surgeons and all, so you can get the help you need. Meanwhile, follow the advice about icing and elevation. That is serious medicine for pain and swelling.

2. bhill22

bhill22 new member

Hello!!!!

Soo it’s been bout a year since I posted about my right hip replacement that I had on May 5th, 2017 ! I have been doing okay... I had a VERY long winter due to the aches and pains. With that being said I am still experiencing those aches and pains but when I go to the doctor the x-rays show that everything is normal and nothing is broken(BUT IM IN PAIN). Its in the back of my leg all the way to buttocks and on the side which is crazy cause in order for me to sleep I still use the body pillow in between my legs. Well they offered to work on my strength by putting me back in physical therapy but insurance says I have “long term condition” so of course you know what that means. So I’ve been left with trying different avenues to try to ease my pain one of which is this gel they prescribed me to rub on the spots but that only helps so much plus it’s expensive for some dang GEL! They also advised I take something called diclofenac sodium but that does not help and that’s the same name for the expensive GEL! I’m at odds because although my hard pain is gone I need to know life long hacks on living with a hip replacement . It’s crazy how I can tell when the weather is about to get crazy cause my body goes to aching terribly like I’ve been hit by a train. HELP!!! LOL! Can somebody tell me something on how to manage a little better . I’m 24 now so I have a long way to go with this!

Can’t wait to hear ideas!!

3. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

You must feel so discouraged to still be dealing with the pain you thought would be gone after your hip replacement. If the tests show the hip is fine, that is good news!

About 10 years ago, I had severe leg pain/sciatica. They identified it was coming from my back. I'm wondering if the pain you think is from your hip, may be coming from somewhere else? Might be worth looking into. Sure hope you can find what is causing it and how to relieve it....chronic pain is so awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan junior member

Hello! It seems to me that no one has diagnosed the cause of your pain, except to say that nothing shows up on xrays to account for it. Until you understand what’s causing it, it will be hard to treat it. Insist your doctors take your pain seriously and prioritize getting you worked into the schedule. If necessary, call every day and inquire about cancellations. Your primary care doctor should be your first point of contact now if your hip surgeon has reached the end of the treatment they can offer.