BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hip Troubles

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by bhill22, May 23, 2017.

1. bhill22

bhill22 new member

United States United States
    Hi, I'm new to this but I've been reading forms on this site for the longest & finally decided to join because I have questions.

Back in 2016 I was diagnosed with AVN of the right hip...total shock because I've never had any of the problems that went along with this nor heard of this before. At age 21 they were shocked because "normal" protocol would be a total hip replacement. I was put on the medication called fosmax followed by core decompression on Septemeber 22... For two weeks I was ok but After two, two month follow up visits my progress was not where it should be...meaning MY HIP WAS STILL COLLASPING. I was referred out to Emory....

Visiting Emory for the first time I wasn't even the office 30 mins before signing papers to see a surgeon...two weeks later seeing my surgeon for the first time I wasn't in the office long before signing papers for a total hip replacement of the right hip.
    Crazy huh?.....I know & at age 22 you can only imagine the thoughts in my head.

May 5,2017 I had my total hip replacement of the right hip and I must say I feel a difference ! My only problems come from where they went in at(anterior). It's very sore all the way down to my knee and is very tight...taken they didn't use stitches like the first time whatever this glue holding it together is very TIGHT & uncomfortable..especially at night. My walking is progressing as the days go along but I still struggle to put all my weight on it taken I've babied it for so long not to mention again the tightness from the cut. I still use heat/ice to help with whatever these muscle spasms are that I'm feeling(is this normal?) and it's very soothing. I use my walker faithfully but need to start backing off(just a fear of falling) I do have crutches but not to sharp on using just one(HELP...lol).

I was wondering when did some of you start back driving,taken a bath(I have a bath seat), using the toilet without the seat thingy, swimming, sex, all those "normal" things?

Taken that i'm young and this is my second surgery on my hip I don't want to rush recovery but I'm curious to know. I go for my post op at the end of the month and I start back college next week(so the driving part I would like to know ASAP).

Well thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope to hear from somebody soon! Oh & one more thing how in the world did you sleep?!? I'm starting to ware out my left hip and this sleeping on my back is not comfortable. I do however find the couch VERY soothing..

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hi, @bhill22 ... welcome to BoneSmart. You'll notice that I moved your thread to the recovery forum for hips. You had accidentally posted in the wrong forum.

Sorry to hear you've been having all these challenges at such a young age, but we actually do see this happen sometimes. The good news is that you should recover just fine and get back to living your life again.

But you will need to take things slowly. After all, this is major surgery you've just been through and it takes time for your body to heal. Normally your surgeon would not release you to drive for 6 weeks. You might be ready a bit sooner but I think next week is going to be pushing things. In fact, you may find you're not ready to attend college classes then either. Is your surgeon aware that you planned to do this?

The tightness you're feeling around the incision is swelling. It's a pretty fair indicator that you may be trying to do too much for this point in recovery. If you're not icing the area, I suggest you start doing that as much as possible. You need to ice for at least 40 minutes several times a day (you can do more). But just be sure to have your ice source wrapped in a towel so that your leg doesn't over chill and damage your skin.

If you're having trouble sleeping, that is normal. You might try taking some pain medication right before bed. It could be prescription pain meds (like Tramadol) or even Extra Strength Tylenol (1000mg). Even though you don't feel like you have pain, lying prone for hours can cause stiffness or other forms of pain that respond well to medication.

Also, here are some basic recovery articles and guidelines for you. Read through the links and it will help you get an idea of what we're talking about in terms of length of time required for recovery. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that may come up. We're here for you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. bhill22

bhill22 new member

Thanks for your response,

The crazy thing is I go to school the day before my pre op visit so I figured it would be OK to kinda gauge what I can and can't do.. I am however icing and elevating my leg but heat is more soothing than the ice(is that normal)? I walked today for the first time without the walker and I must say I did pretty good but was eager to shower and ice my leg afterwards. My energy level is somewhat still down and I can only do so much without the feeling of being drained..I'm excited thow to report to my doctors about my progress thow but I know I have a Long recovery in regardless of healing. They also told me I could take off the tegaderm but I'm afraid cause it's still kind of stuck on where they cut me at so I just clip off the pieces that are coming up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pheebs52

Pheebs52 big-cheese

Hi BHill22, sounds like you've been through the wringer at such a young age; egads! You are only 17 days out from surgery, so despite the anterior approach offering a quicker healing process, it's still early days. I had a posterior hip replacement 5 years ago and was able to drive after 6 weeks, but will be quick to say I only wnt for very short trips. It took awhile to get my confidence back and I felt my reflexes were not quite up to snuff at that point. Hate to say it, but I think it's possible the heat is causing some swelling in your leg, despite feeling good while you are using it. I'd stick to ice for now, but ask your surgeon about that one to be certain. Personally, I wouldn't rush back to school, but again, check with your surgeon and get his/her guidelines, just to be on the safe side. Bestof luck on the remainder of your recovery and never doubt that it will happen. It does!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bhill22

bhill22 new member

Thanks for your response ! I appreciate the support. I will stick to the ice on and ice off method vs the heat. && your right it's only 17 days out and that's early.. I just feel so good but I'm listening to my body and taken it slow. I don't want to rush or relapse .

• Like Like x 2
  6. bhill22

bhill22 new member

Sooo I spoke with a nurse today via telephone and she was telling me how I needed to be on a high protein diet to promote healing???? I told her that I have boost and ensure but she said that's more for "calories" vs protein. She also asked how my appetite is and I explained that I eat but not that much...u would think somebody with hyperthyroidism would eat a lot(I have my moments) but I actually drink Gatorade,juice and water way more than I eat. Can somebody help answer this question or guide me in the right direction.. Thanks

Sincerely,
    Confused lol

7. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Hi, I had anterior right hip replacement April 27. By my 2 week postop check I was using a cane with no problem. I saw the PA and she said I could drive as soon as I was off the prescription pain killers and as long as I could work the pedals ok in the car. I still waited another week or so after that as it was a bit hard to get my right leg in on the drivers side. I was able to shower right away although I did need a shower chair to get into the shower since it is in my tub and I couldn't lift my leg over the side of the tub. I used shower chair for about 3 weeks. Our local rescue squad collects used medical equipment and then loans it out for free to those who need it so that was fantastic that we didn't need to buy one.

Our toilet seat is slightly higher than normal so my surgeon had told me I wouldn't need a toilet riser (easy for him to say, right?) so we didn't get one. I was able to use it ok by bracing myself as I was sitting. Now at 4 weeks, I can sit on it without bracing myself and I can stand back up without holding on to anything.

I will say that although I had inhome PT the first week, I did no exercises in between her visits and the PT I had would just show me things, like how to get in and out of shower or how to do steps to go outside, but she wasn't pushy so I chose to follow the BoneSmart guidelines. I also iced almost constantly so I didn't have the pain and swelling for very long. I pretty much just let my body rest and recover those first few weeks. I do now go to PT but I don't do anything that hurts and I do a minimal amount at home between sessions so I haven't ended up in pain like some others who overdo.

As far as protein, I did have a couple six packs of Ensure High Protein that I used when my appetite wasn't that good or when I didn't feel like I had eaten enough of the right foods. You could also make yourself some eggnog as the eggs and milk would be good. No recipe needed. Just take a couple eggs, a glass of milk, a tablespoon or so of sugar and a little vanilla extract, best together and you have your eggnog! Very nutritious!

Maybe you can talk to your professors and get some guidance on what you can do at home for the first couple of weeks without actually going to class. You will certainly have lots of time on your hands for reading the textbooks and even rereading things that are more difficult. If you explain your situation, most will be very understanding.

You will certainly be glad you had the surgery as it is wonderful to be rid of that pain whenever you take a step. I wish you all the best!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bhill22

bhill22 new member

Is it normal for my incision site all the way down to my knee to still be numb? It does not hurt its just numb. I'm 4 weeks post op as of Wednesday. Which is also the day I go for my first appointment since surgery .

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  9. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Yes the numbness can occur and hang around for a while as it takes nerves a fairly long time to reconnect after surgery. At 4 weeks, you are very early in the recovery process.

@bhill22 .... you may notice that I have merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer that each member include all their updates, questions and concerns in a single recovery thread. That makes it so much easier for us to review your history when needed before providing advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  10. bhill22

bhill22 new member

Ok. That's understandable.

I just know about a week in a half ago I woke up at 5:00 in the morning in so much pain, like all my feeling had came back in my leg. I thought that was it until this past week it's just numb.

I don't keep the ice on for over an extended time and almost felt like I was icing too much. But as I read more forums it's normal.

I also have been sleeping on my stomach (something I couldn't do since surgery but that's how I sleep normally) but it's more comfortable than sleeping on my back and my left side (which I believe it's starting to wear out).

I also went driving for the first time day before yesterday and to be honest I did better than I thought I would but I'm not pushing to drive to Timbuktu just yet because I can tell I'm not ready for long distances. I go for my post op appointment tomorrow so I will update you all on how that goes.

Hopefully they can give me something other than dilaudid & morphine (yes! They are too strong for my system which was causing me more problems)

Thanks so much for the support. I love this site besides Facebook and snapchat..lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. bhill22

bhill22 new member

UPDATE: Omg! I'm so happy with my new hip words really can't explain. When I tell you my PAIN is GONE...ITS GONE. Whoever new something so small could have such a big impact. I went to my post op appointment & they said everything looked wonderful(it looks funny to me) I of course had my walker & they took it away and made me walk for them. I did it with ease at first but I can walk! My scare looks really good but dry looking..any help on that? I was released to drive since I'm not taken any pain meds even thow I asked for a low dosage besides morphine and diludied... Yes you read correctly they had me on those HIGH meds not to mention they made me extremely sick. I don't drive far thow just to school and around town if I feel up to it..my energy is still building back up. The only thing I don't like is that when it rains or cloudy weather I am so sore and tight and achy(is that normal and will it be like that for long term) I completely understand now when the elderly say they bones be achy when it rains. Lol Also I was released to take a sit down bath(like get in the tub) I tried it once since my visit and I'm not ready yet. I start physical therapy this coming Friday and I'm so excited because all my therapy will be done in the pool & they will help with my tightness. When I went for my first appointment they said I have great range but they feel the tightness and stiffness. Needless to say I haven't been having any type of intercourse.. Which makes me laugh because I want to ask the doctors so bad when I can but I'm embarrassed(any advice on that) other than that I'm slowly but surely coming back around . Ps: I'm STILL NUMB & my swelling is still somewhat there but not as big , my surgery was May 5... Will my feeling ever come back and swelling go away completly ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017
  12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Congrats... Best wishes on your recovery journey. At 6 weeks, I also am still experiencing numbness after double hip replacement. Numb is definitely better than pain but very odd feeling. I believe they address the sex question in info on this sore. Can't remember where??
    Maybe someone can help direct!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pheebs52

Pheebs52 big-cheese

Yes, you will have a sex life again; promise! :roseshwr:

14. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Sr Bonesmartie

Ireland Ireland
    @Mojo333 is right (as usual).
    If you are using or have access to a laptop, tablet or computer you can head up to the "search" section at the top and type in for example the word sex you will be taken to many articles some of them illustrated which you will find helpful.
    It's a subject which Is not aired enough so when it comes up its a good idea to deal with it. From the male perspective I didn't discover Bonesmart until well along in my recovery and I can say that this subject caused me some concern. There are certain positions which are not hip friendly but once your restrictions are lifted you can resume regular activities within reasonable parameters.
    Read the articles and enjoy life.
    Joe.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

Hey I looked back on some old posts about numbness and can't remember where it is... but on top of reiterating that it is nerve stuff, someone said massaging and rubbing the legs was the best thing to help it... I'm guessing increasing circulation???
    Anyway I try not to bother mine any more than necessary... But I've been gently but thoroughly massaging back and front down to the knee... Especially thighs though... And although still achy sore, that numb electrified feeling has greatly diminished!! Eureka!!!

16. Mojo333

Been doing it for last 3 days and just now noticing... Thought I'd clarify... Plus my surgery was May 1

17. bhill22

bhill22 new member

OMG!! It’s been a long road and I haven’t posted on here in a while so let me speed you all up to date..

As you know I had a right hip replacement on May 5, 2017. My last day of physical therapy was December 28th following my 23rd birthday on the 29th.I know right..young!!

Physical therapy went great, I did all of it in a pool which is amazing taking water makes things so much easier but you pay for it afterwards lol. After physical therapy things were looking SOOOOOOOO GOOD. Slowly getting back into routine, school, little outings(I don’t go out that much unless it’s a sit down type environment)

Here is where my problem comes into play.. a couple weeks ago I started noticing popping, clicking noises that Ignored because I thought it was “normal” until the ENTENSE PAIN started. I’ve been dealing with it just because of the simple fact I thought it was normal. Well it can’t be normal because this week my foot is swollen and not only swollen it’s like my whole leg, all the way to my cut is swollen and the pain has me in tears LIKE WHEN ALL THIS FIRST STARTED.

So the downside to this is the earliest appointment I have is for April 11 and I’ve sent a message to my doctor as well as his assisstant(again) in order to get some type of relief or help. No I don’t have pain meds & ibprofran is not working either. I’m in so much pain and so scared that it might be dislocated or worse infected or something.

What can I do in between time to help with my pain?

18. Mojo333

I would definitely ice all I could due to swelling and as will help some with pain relief. I know you are over one year...I'd be scared too but in the meantime the old protocol of icing and elevating would certainly have to help.
    No over the counter meds, acetimenophin or ibuprofen...helped me Pre hip replacement, but I found extra strength Tylenol does help more than ibuprofen with pain now..can you go to GP or ER and get seen quicker to rule out infection if your appointment is so far out and you are concerned?

19. clodaghcov

clodaghcov senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You poor soul its so upsetting for you when everything was going so well. I think you need to be very firm and insist on an appointment that is too long for you to wait. Can you get an appointment with your regular doctor who hopefully will advise on pain control. Keep your legelevated when sitting and hopefully all the people who read this will give you good help.xx

20. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

@bhill22
    You'll notice that I have merged your three recovery threads. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

• Useful Useful x 1