THR Hip Surgery under Regional Anesthesia!

RTG1

Country
United States United States
I want to be awake under regional anesthesia during my right hip replacement, has anyone here done this before? I would like to hear about your insights into this type of procedure Thanks in advance!

You can talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist about your request. I have heard of people waking up in the middle of hip surgery (though the spinal was still in effect, so they felt nothing). My brother woke up in the middle of knee replacement surgery. He said he was freaked by seeing the surgeon's hammer coming at his leg. He turned it into a humorous story. Haven't heard of many people requesting this.

So it sounds like you want a spinal ... and no sedation? ... As someone who woke up during surgery once said, it'll sound like an autobody shop in there. Saws, hammering, all of that. You want to be awake for that? You won't feel anything, but most people don't want to hear what's going on.

Talk to your surgeon about this.

Hello @RTG1 G - and :welome:

Do you have a date yet for your hip replacement? If so, please tell us what it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

@RTG1 Why do you want to be awake during surgery? A spinal and sedation means you will be in a comfy sleep for the procedure. Going4fun is right - the surgery is very noisy. Unfortunately I was awake during the last part of my LTHR - not an experience I would want to repeat.

Hi, Thank you very much! I do not have a date as of now I will be talking with Orthopedics very soon within days about the process and my requests.

A few years ago I had a Laminectomy and I was under General anesthesia I did not like it at all I did not like the feeling of the General anesthesia from start to finish, so, that is why I am asking about another way to do this hip replacement if there is another way.

Last edited:
I recently read somewhere that people put on headphones and listen to music, I know that I can't be the only person to consider this and actually request this.

That’s easy! A spinal block (numbs you from the waist down) andsedation like you get during a colonoscopy. You will be breathing on your own (no tube) but the sedation will just give you a nice nap. You won’t feel or hear a thing and when you wake up, you won’t have that general anesthesia fog. There are great articles on this site explaining all the various methods.

I would opt for a spinal anaesthetic with sedation. You will have what feels like a natural sleep during the surgery and wake up when it's all over, with none of the residual feelings a general anesthetic gives you.

Even if you wear headphones, you will still hear noise if you are awake during your surgery, which involves work rather like carpentry on your bones.

Have a look at this article:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

And also look at the section on Local/Regional anaesthetics from the drop-down tab under Pain Management in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Sedation is usually what accompanies a spinal. Sedation is NOT general anesthesia. It's much lighter. There's little nausea for most people or other side effects that might accompany full anesthesia.

Talk to your surgeon. You might be worrying about something that the doctor and surgeon have covered in typical hip replacement surgery these days.

I also had GA when I had spinal surgery and really had a problem with the after effects. Days of nausea and a "fog". Spinal with sedation was magic. No nausea and you are awake and alert when they wheel you into the recovery area.

These days most surgeons prefer using this anaesthesia during joint replacement.

I had spinal and sedation. Don’t remember a thing, and was eating lunch about an hour after getting back from recovery. It was good!

I never liked GA, have had numerous times. For my first hip the spinal and sedation was offered and I went for it. It worked out great and the sedation is very light. When I awoke in the recovery room I was as alert as waking from a nap. I was briefed about waking during surgery and what I might see, but it never happened. I was awake until strapped down on the table for my right. If awake I think I would want headphones and I'd say the noise and smells wouldn't be too appealing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom