• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Hip Surgery Recovery

ballerinabarb

Country
Hungary Hungary
I had my second THR December 17th in Hungary. May I add my date to you list of post THR December surgeries?

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:wave: @ballerinabarb and welcome to Bone Smart!

I will ask one of the Moderators to add you to the December list so that others from that month can see you and come here to your Post-op page. May I ask what hip you had replaced on 17 December? And when was your first hip done? We'll get this all added to your signature and it's helpful when others coming here so they have an idea where you're at in recovery.

Realize you're a ways out but want to leave you some Recovery Guidelines to read, lots of helpful information.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @,ballerinabarb
So nice you joined us and hope your recovery is going well!
Nice to be in the company of those who have been there and done that...certainly was for me.
Welcome!

Pumpkln

Country
Welcome Ballerenabarb,
Congratulations, you have been added to the December Supernovas 2019 Hip Replacement Recovery Club.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @ballerinabarb - and :welome:

Please will you tell us when you had your first THR, and which hip was done each time, so we can add that information to your signature? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
Tell us a little about your recovery....we'd love to hear. Hopefully you're pleased with your progress. Happy healing as you continue the journey. :wave:
@ballerinabarb

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
chica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom