THR Hip surgery on November 15

CBB

Country
United States United States
I am almost 3 weeks post op and seem to be doing well.
I have so many questions that were not answered in my "joint navigation journal' provided by the hospital. I just recently learned about taking antibiotics before any dental procedure from now on.

Hi @CBB!

Did your surgeon indicate that you needed antibiotics for all dental procedures? It's becoming an outdated protocol (although you should follow your surgeon's precautions). One of my surgeons had to write a note to my dentist to say it was ok to do routine dental work without antibiotics, but he indicated that he recommended it for major procedures.

My OS prescribed and recommends antibiotics when going to the dentist so seeing how I trusted him for the THR I follow his directions.

:wave:and :welome:
Which hip did you have replaced on November 15?
I'd like to add this information to your signature.:) :-) (:

As Schaargi already mentioned, the protocols for prophylactic antibiotics after joint replacement have been scrutinized....check out this article in our library.

Do check with your surgeon to see what his recommendations are.

You sound to be doing well.... Here are our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

My view is that we cannot absorb all the important information for this surgery--partly because we have to go on an emotional journey to go forward with the operation.

That emotional journey is so overwhelming for many of us that we can't remember all the details.

I had my hip replacement on November 15.
I couldn't be more happy with the outcome.
I cannot be sufficiently grateful for that horrible pain being gone and the miracle of this surgery.
Even in a pandemic with hospitals overloaded, the hospital staff was fabulous.
The post-op soreness is certainly tolerable and I only took pain pills for about 4 days post op.

I look at my "badge of honor" (scar) and cannot believe how quickly the time has passed.

Good luck to all.

@CBB
Glad to hear how well you are doing with your new hip, thanks for sharing your update.

You will notice I have moved your recent post to your thread. That way you will have a diary of your recovery, and staff will be able to review your posts to better advise should you have any questions or concerns.

Members bookmark their threads so they can easily find them in the future.
Thanks,
Chris

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: @CBB
Thank you for your post.... It echoes my sentiments about my THRs, even now at over 42 years out.
We are so lucky to live in a medical era where we can have this done.
I am ever so grateful to be rid of my pain and even that I can sleep!
Hope 2022 is a great year for you.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, CBB! Hopefully you’re doing well and feeling stronger month by month. Stop by and say Hi now and then, as time allows. We love our hippy friends. :)
Wishing you all the best in the New Year!
@CBB

I have to say I have trouble navigating this website. This is the only place I've landed where I can message. I had a right hip replacement on November 15. I am still healing as there is still soreness around the surgery site and numbness as well.

My problem is that my doctor told me NO YOGA ever! Forever! Yoga was my thing.

What can I do instead? Pilates? I do walk but that's about it for now.
It's been almost a year since I've done yoga due to the pain prior to surgery in November. I cannot find information on this topic of post hip replacement exercise. I've heard of folks biking, skiing, etc.

My surgeon said no yoga for the life of the replacement.
I have done yoga for years and years and, I believe, that helped my body be able to recovery so well.

Now I don't know whether to ignore (not a good idea probably) my surgeon or try something else like Pilates.
Here I see other folks report doing a gentle yoga.

I want to be back where I was. I'm thinking that may not be possible given
"you can't put Humpty Dumpty together again."

Any feedback would be appreciated.
My surgery was November 15, 2021, and I am doing fine now.
A bit of soreness and numbness at the surgery site. Otherwise, I LOVE that "the' pain is gone.
Best to all.

Please notice that I moved this post from another members thread to your recovery thread where hopefully you’ll receive more feedback. Having your recovery updates contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

My best advice would be to follow your surgeon’s instructions since he’s most familiar with your medical history and any reason he sees fit to advise you against returning to yoga. Hopefully, you will be able to substitute your love for yoga with another activity that fulfills you just as much.

I am sorry you’re finding it difficult to navigate the forum. Please let us know if we can help. I’ll leave some info that you may find useful. https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.134/

A great rest of the week to you!

Hi CBB,
Have you googled 'yoga after hip replacement'? There are lots of articles about it and maybe some will help you and your surgeon to get on the same page.
Although yoga isn't my thing, just yesterday I did a little googling because a few yoga-ish moves had been added to my pt routine. They were contraindicated because of the couple of restrictions my surgeon has in place for me, and I was looking for modifications. You can check it out yourself but my basic takeaways were it depends how far out from surgery you are, and which approach was used.
I don't practice yoga, but I have other other activities that are part of my lifestyle. At one of my early post op check ups, I asked about one -

Me- Can I do this?
OS - AAACKK! Dangerous! No!
Me - But I need to!
OS - Well, just be careful and do it this way, don't do it like this, etc
Me - Ok, thanks for the instruction.

At the 6 month office visit -
Me- Can I do this other thing?
OS- AACCKK! Dangerous! No!
Me - It's really important to me. I had this surgery so I could resume my former activities.
OS - Well, do you think you can find a way do do it this way instead of that way?
Me - Yep, I think so.
OS - Just remember that we don't consider replaced hips fully mature or healed for about a year. So I'd rather you hold off for a while, then try the way we've talked a out. Go slow and thoughtfully, no forceful quick movements, and if it feels weird or hurts, stop.
Me - Cross my heart. Thanks for understanding.

Maybe if you approach your yoga practice the same way with your OS, he'll give you a go ahead also, for at least some of your poses. It won't hurt to ask and he might surprise you. From what I read yesterday, I would bring along diagrams to show him what each looks like, and be ready with alternatives as well.

Good luck. Best wishes for happy healing.

Edited to add informative link https://yogainternational.com/article/view/how-to-approach-yoga-after-a-total-hip-replacement

Last edited:
@CBB I had a THR in December of 2019 and returned to yoga in April of 2020. My surgeon's okayed it with just the recommendation to modify certain extreme twists to keep the hip safe. There are still some postures that I avoid to protect the hip, but I think yoga has helped both my hip and knee recoveries.

Was there something out of the ordinary about your surgery that would cause your surgeon to be concerned? Perhaps he would okay a gentle yoga practice if you promised to modify as @subie2021 suggests?

I've had 2 THR's and I do really simple Yoga. My daughter is an instructor and has joint replacement folks in her classes. The big thing, which is what Yoga is all about is don't push a stretch. The other thing is study your anatomy and how your hip was dislocated during the procedure. It will help you avoid dislocation, which the big risk after THR.
That said there have been people that posted on here that screwed up doing risky Yoga moves too early on and dislocated.

@CBB
My daughter in law is a yoga instructor and recently had a woman with a hip replacement suffer a dislocation in her studio. My DIL was horrified and felt helpless watching this woman is pain as they waited for the ambulance to arrive to transport her to the ER. It feels risky to me, but I understand many return to it. If it’s a great love of yours and you desire to get back to it, I hope you can find an instructor familiar with the do‘s and don’ts involving joint replacement clients and you learn how to engage safely.

Hello, fellow travelers. I had THR right hip on November 15, 2021. I am doing well except I am having trouble with the 'order' of no yoga. I have done yoga and Pilates for years and don't know what to do without them. Any suggestions. Have YOU been allowed to do yoga or Pilates post THR?

Also, how long can I expect soreness in the surgical hip area? I still have numbness, which is ok with me, but the soreness lingers.

Any feedback on that? Thanks.

Hello @CBB
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Personally, I don’t engage in Yoga, but many do with a nod from their surgeon post op. I’m sure some will stop by to share what they find safe or have received an approval from their surgeon on.

I’m wondering if something you’re doing is causing the soreness you mentioned?
Are you currently engaged in PT or have you started any new activity you can attribute the soreness to? Depending upon the intensity there can still be some soreness and numbness at this point of the healing process. We often remind members that recovery can take a full year, or longer for some who notice improvement into their second and even third years following surgery.

Type either Yoga or Pilates into the SEARCH at the top of the page and any
posts / threads where either has been mentioned will pop up. I would advise you follow your surgeons direction, or at least initiate a conversation on the subject with him again with hopes of a more favorable outcome.

Have a nice end of the week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom