THR Hip Surgery done and Home

I had my 3 week post op appointment this past Monday and although I'm not completely off the cane like I was with my other hip, I am allowed to drive. So yesterday I drove and got my hair cut and highlighted. What a treat as it was looking pretty bad. I am still upset about the condition of the skin of my incision region but it is improving although too slowly for my taste. I so hope when I go back for my 6 week check that all is well. My pain is getting better and I can walk some without the cane. It it’s not as smooth as last year. But then this hip is the evil sister. :heehee:
I look forward to sleeping on my side with this hip. I can’t remember how long it was before I was able to do that with my other hip.
Have a good weekend everyone! :cheers:

Hello and Happy Saturday @Harpcat
Thanks for the update, you’re doing well!
A trip to the salon is a mood booster. It’s great you were able to make the trek on your own. A double accomplishment!

It took me a couple months to sleep on my op side, mainly out of apprehension. It is my preferred position to fall asleep so I was happy once I had the courage to try it. I love using a Body Pillow in between my knees, maybe up even a little higher. It runs the entire length of my leg and it’s super comfy.
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

Wow...I think I joined the ODIC today. I did a lot of walking around without a cane and around 4:30 I sat down and felt a sharp pain at the back of my thigh near the hip joint like I was sitting on something sharp! I don’t know what caused that but it was really painful! So I went and iced and elevated and took a couple of Tylenol. I just hope nothing serious is wrong. Has anyone heard of this type of feeling...like sitting on something?

Just those muscles and tendons telling you they aren't happy with how hard you pushed them. Ice and rest, and maybe think about looking at the THR activity guide to see if you are maybe pushing too hard, only a month out you need to keep it slow.

Sounds a lot like one of those regular owies that pop up here and there and disappear as quickly as they showed up, only to pop up someplace else! I think maybe the ODIC is recruiting.

The ODIC is constantly recruiting. It's that quiet whisper in the back of your mind... "I feel good enough to do this!" Don't listen to it's evil whispers, the ODIC is a sadist that loves to watch people suffer. :heehee:

Thanks all...today is a bit better except sometimes if I put sitting pressure on it just right it zings me! So trying to do a bit less today, but yes it’s hard not to.

Not sure how much pain you are experiencing, but I know alitterally a ‘pain’ in my butt was a pretty steady companion early on in my recovery. At 6 weeks out I am fairly pain free ,but after a 60 minute walk at the mall today that little pain is still not ready to say goodbye completely yet.

@Softtail and others...I emailed my PA last night and she said this is a fairly common pain called "wallet sign" and not to be worried. Keep an eye on it. It does feel like I am sitting on something that jabs me at times but not all the time. But I felt better after she wrote me back to know it’s typical. Using more Tylenol now!

I know a lot of folks have said they felt like they were sitting on golf balls and such, so it does seem to be one of those fun little things we experience.

I emailed my PA last night and she said this is a fairly common pain called "wallet sign"

Hmm, interesting! I did experience this odd sensation early on. I explained to my husband that it felt like I was sitting on a ball the size of a golf ball, but not as hard, more like the consistency of a tennis ball. Thankfully it does fade with time.
You were one month post op yesterday...Happy One Month Anniversary!
Have a great weekend! :)

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty and I see you also just passed thirteen months with, Righty. I hope all is well. Wishing you a happy holiday season as you continue healing. Update when you’re able, we’d love to hear from you. :)
@Harpcat

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty and I see you also just passed thirteen months with, Righty. I hope all is well. Wishing you a happy holiday season as you continue healing. Update when you’re able, we’d love to hear from you. :)
@Harpcat
Thank you @Layla . I didn’t see your post the other day. Week 10 tomorrow and I am dying to take a nice deep soak in my tub. He always insists on 12 weeks before a bath. I wonder what others on here were restricted to. My scar is well healed and I know I can get in and out of the tub. Any thoughts on this?
I began seeing my usual physical therapist because I noticed how very weak I was getting in my quads. I think after my other hip was done a year ago, I never truly built up adequate strength as the pandemic hit and I quit going to the gym. So she has been helping me on that and I am feeling much better. I’ve even been doing some walks around and have averaged a mile right now. Hope to keep going towards longer walks. I even get out in the cold and just bundle up.
this hip was a much harder surgery and took longer to feel better but I feel good now and anxious to get back to my yoga the end of December.
happy holidays to all of you!! :santa-dance: light-candles

:hi: @Harpcat
Great update, love it! Thank you for taking the time to share your progress.

He always insists on 12 weeks before a bath

My OS advises the same. Three months, no baths, pools, hot tubs, natural bodies of water. Basically no immersion. I didn’t fully understand either and didn’t find that restriction (length of time) common here, but I followed his advice anyway.

Happy holidays and many blessings to you in 2021!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you’ve had that soak in the tube you were longing for :bath:
And...with some luck you were able to get back to Yoga at the end of December as you wished. All the best as you continue healing and life gets better and better! :)
@Harpcat

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you’ve had that soak in the tube you were longing for :bath:
And...with some luck you were able to get back to Yoga at the end of December as you wished. All the best as you continue healing and life gets better and better! :)
@Harpcat
@Layla ...I missed this message but thank you. Yes I have been soaking away in the tub and went back to yoga Jan 7. I had my 4 month check and am still tender over my scar. My PA who was in the OR, said my retraction was pretty brutal in order to get the screws out from the previous fixation. i,ve been going to PT and having scar work and strengthening exercises given to me. I will post about that separately as I have some questions.

Question for all you who have recovered...
I had a Right THA in Nov. 2019...and was just getting back to the gym when Covid hit and I haven’t been since. I did start a home exercise routine. Walking was minimal because my other hip hurt too much to walk so I don’t think I was doing enough to strengthen my R. Hip. Then fast forward and in Oct 2020 I had my left THA. For the past 2 months I’ve been going to Pt to gain strength. I am so weak in my glutes!! I can’t get up off the floor from a kneeling position unless I hold on to a table or chair!! So discouraging. So my question is, is this normal? How long was it before you had strength to do this? I am not overweight, in good health but just so weak it seems. I am back to walking now.

Hi @Harpcat :wave:
Good to see you on the forum.
I can’t get up off the floor from a kneeling position unless I hold on to a table or chair!! So discouraging. So my question is, is this normal?

I'm not sure I put myself on the floor so I would need to get up on purpose ( I did slip down and definitely needed support to get up) for close to a year after my bilateral hip replacement.
We all have our different timelines but I wouldn't say this was abnormal.

Using a support like a chair to make sure you don't strain anything unnecessarily sounds like a good idea while you are working on toning and strengthening.
Some things take some time and we have to remember we are recovering from the period before our THRs also when we had bad gait, poor ROM and likely unable to strengthen properly.

Of course there are the glute squeezes whenever you can think about it...
My PT told me when heel/ toe walking to consciously think about engaging my glutes which felt very odd..he said think "trying to crack walnuts with my behind":heehee:
It forced me to hold my upper body up straighter which was helpful to my SI joint and lower back and use my butt when walking.
Practicing indoors with no audience was less awkward.:wink:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks