• BLUE TOOLBAR CHANGES! We've made some minor adjustments to the categories in the blue tool bar at the top of your screen. You may notice some links in a different drop-down menu, but everything is still there.
ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

Hip Infection* Hip Spacer what to expect?

Sunny098

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum my Husband Russ' unfortunate circumstances has brought me here. Russ has severe Rheumatoid Arthritis but had been bed ridden for 3 weeks with excruciating pain in his hip. MRI 2 days ago showed he had severe infection in his hip. Russ had surgery yesterday to clear out the infection, his femoral head was replaced with cement, I think this is called a hip spacer but not sure apologies if I'm incorrect.
The Surgeon has told Russ they won't do a hip replacement for 9 months as he needs to build up his immune system. Russ Arthritis meds have destroyed his immune system.
We are both completely freaking out up until Monday we assumed the pain was caused by his Arthritis.
Can anyone tell me what we can expect good or bad. The Surgeon did say he would be able to walk with crutches or Zimmer Frame but it would be hard.
My major concern the hip spacer is on the right side and his left knee is damaged by his Arthritis will he be able to walk with crutches? Also can you be weight with a hip spacer?
Any insight would be appreciated, sorry for rambling on just feeling helpless
Thank you

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Sunny098 Welcome to BoneSmart - you and your husband. Yes, hip infections are no fun. I assume your husband on antibiotics? They will monitor him regularly to assess whether the medication is helping to clear that infection.

If you go to the hip recovery area and look for the red prefix on threads that says Hip Infection you will find our members who have been down this road. If you click on one of the prefixes you will get a list of all the threads dealing with Hip Infection.

Yes, it is hard to walk with a spacer. I would suggest he start with a walker and progress to elbow crutches once he is confident.

Has the surgeon advised if he can be fully weight bearing? You might want to clarify this with the consultant.

I'm going to tag one of our members who went through an infection @Izabel . Here's a link to her recovery thread. She has not been on the board for awhile as she is back to living life again.

I'll also leave you some recovery guidelines. They refer to hip replacement but many of the articles will be helpful such as icing and elevation and pain management.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
S

Sunny098

Country
Hi Jaycey, thank you for your response. Russ is on antibiotics but at the moment they donr know if they are the correct antibiotics as they are still waiting for lab results to find out what type of infection he has.
One of our big concerns is Russ Arthritis is so severe he cannot use his right hand/wrist which is going to make using frame or crutches very tricky.
I will certainly look through the forum for more information.
Take care
Donna

clodaghcov

graduate
Country
Bless you both,the main thing he is on antibiotics and it will be a little time until you get the full blood results. I also have a spacer in due to infection from my hip replacement already mine has been in for 2 years but shortly we will try again, it is possible to lead a life with a spacer so do not despair,i drive and walk with crutches with just toe touch on my poorly hip, of course there are good and bad times but hopefully the pain will lesson from the infection as it is treated,i know what severe pain it is. I guess you will be under an infection team as well asyour orthopaedic team. Maybe it will be better for you to have a buggy to get around they are amazing and then you could really get around.Pain is very disabling do get good pain control. He will get better, it may take time but both keep strong and positive. I shall be thinking of you both.Hugsxx

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Sunny098 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your husband's surgery and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for him?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
S

Sunny098

Country
Hi Celle,
The operation happened on Monday 19th October and it is the right hip
Thank you

OP
OP
S

Sunny098

Country
Thank you clodaghcov, it's such an odd situation. Russ was admitted to hospital for a suspected internal bleed. Everyone thought his hip hurt due to his Arthritis so we didnt have much time to absorb the information before he had the op. The real issue is keeping Russ Arthritis under control Rheumatology want him to stay on one of the drugs which suppress his immune system but he needs to build up his immune system to fight off infections.
I'm very sorry to hear of your struggles and I'm glad to hear you will be getting a new hip soon! I've just spoken to Russ and read him your message, it made him feel more positive about his future, thank you. Take care

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Rheumatology want him to stay on one of the drugs which suppress his immune system but he needs to build up his immune system to fight off infections.
Would he consider meeting / working with a Nutritionist who can guide him toward an immune strengthening diet along with some supplements? Something to ponder.
I wish your husband well. He’s lucky to have such a supportive partner in you.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosasweeney13
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom