Hip screw that left town

Theswedking

Country
United States United States
I am currently looking at my second hip surgery. My first hip surgery was in 2015 for FAI (femoro acetabular impingement). The surgeon wasn't good at putting in screws. So while they weren't ideally placed, the another doctor said that they should be okay. 5 years later and a different doctor. After excruciating pain, he did a X-ray and MRI with a CT scan coming. It showed that one of the screws has deiced to head on out through the other side of the femur (greater trochanter).

So now it is about half way through my bone and half the screw has displaced hip muscles/tendons, left bits floating around, and fluid build up. They want to remove the screw. Has anyone heard of this happening? How would they even attempt to remove a screw that is half way through your bone with out comprising your bone integrity or breaking the bone.

I had two back surgeries and the thought of this has me more worried.

@Theswedking :welome:to BoneSmart.
If you can give us the date of your first hip surgery in 2015 and which side was operated on we can create a signature for you.

One of my more knowledgeable hip advisors will shortly be online to help answer your queries, meanwhile I will leave you the BoneSmart guidelines.

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Theswedking Welcome to BoneSmart! We have had several members who have had this same hardware removal. It should be pretty straightforward - especially if the screw is loose.

What date are you having surgery and which hip?

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry that your need for a second surgery is what brought you here.

There is a search feature that shows up on the top right of the page that may be helpful to you.
Maybe you can type in keywords and find some of the threads where other members have had a screw removal?

As Jaycey just mentioned, it sounds like a pretty straightforward procedure for you and I hope we are right about that!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts