BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Hip revision

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by tbell, Jun 13, 2018.

1. tbell

tbell new member

United States United States
    Hi I'm planning a hip revision in the next 3 to 4 months maybe first of October. Dr thinks he can get by with a new liner in the cup and a new ball, maybe a little bone repair. I've had the hip for 24 years and it's getting wear on it. Has anyone had this and how long to get over this? I'm 60 years old and a pipe fitter in construction so I climb a lot and work hard. Also having carpel tunnel fixed while I'm off.

Thanks.

PS really stressed about being off work 4 months

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @tbell....welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your questions, I'm still doing it first time round, but there are lots of people who have had revisions who will be along to give you the benefit of their experience.

3. Gypsy

Gypsy member

Hi @tbell, I had a revision after 21 years so maybe I can help with some of your questions. The recovery from a revision is basically the same as for an original THR. It can differ a bit depending on what the surgeon has to replace and whether bone needs to be shored up. For example, your surgeon might want you to do only partial weight bearing for a while. The surgeon likely will follow the same incision, and muscles will be rearranged again, and will be sore again. Hospital stays tend to be shorter than they were 20 years ago. They early days can be rough but it gets better bit by bit. At some point the surgery seems like it was forever ago, at some point it feels like no progress is being made, and at some point it feels like life is getting back to normal. When those points happen are different for everybody.

Four months may seem like a long time to be off work, but it does take time to heal. In the end it will be worth it to have a strong and stable hip. Good luck as you move toward Hip 2.0.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. tbell

tbell new member

Thanks for the information. I've dreaded having this done. Now I need wrist surgery too

5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

How quick did you come back the first time? You've got a tough job to come back to.