Revision THR Hip revision surgery

JRDetroit

Country
United States United States
Hello, I am so glad to have found this forum and website.

In brief, I had a total hip replacement in 2009 due to arthritis from a car accident in which I fractured my pelvis in the early '70s.

I did well with the THR and except for occasional overuse, did not have pain. I was very pleased with my surgery, able to resume regular life and hike, swim and dance.

Now, however, for the last month I have had pain, stiffness, instability, pain while walking, and difficulty getting in and out of my car, and sleepless nights.

It seems to me that my hip will give way if I put too much pressure on it. I'm walking with a cane now. I'm thinking I will probably have to have surgery, as this kind of situation has not occurred before.

I am curious if anyone has had a revision hip replacement and what their experience was. I saw one orthopedic physician who said I had tendonitis and advised physical therapy, which I am worried (am pretty sure) will give me more pain.

Then, I decided to make an appointment with the physician who did my original hip replacement, though he lives in another city about 2 hours away. I really like him and have the utmost faith in him.
I we'll see him in 2 weeks and give him my recent x-ray and MRI records.

I would be interested in anyone's experience with hip revision surgery and appreciate any information you can share. Is it more difficult than an original hip replacement? What is the recovery time? Did you feel it was successful?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
You will find many successful revision stories here. I will leave a link with best wishes for your appointment in two weeks. Please let us know how it goes and keep in mind that we're here for support if you need us.
Wishing you only the best!
REVISIONS

Where exactly is the pain? you said this is the first time you have experienced this? it is possible to have tenodonitis for sure, really tight PSOAS tendons can also cause significant problems. Also recently saw a member with issues with his hip due to scar tissue from previous surgeries.

It sounds like this one would be a lot of different things. Have you gone through anti-inflammatories and icing? sometimes just those simple steps can make a huge difference depending on what the issue is.

Great to hear you have someone organized in 2 weeks time. It's quick and hopefully you can get some answers to help figure out the route of the problem. Please keep us posted and updated.

All the best.

I'd wait and see what your OS says first before making revision plans.

Thanks all for your replies. I have tried anti-inflammatories.
I believe waiting to see my original orthopedic physician is the best course of action for now, along with rest.

Joni

Wait and see. I had my THR in 2017 and it was so perfect I forgot about it....till it was almost 5 years old and I started having pains and it felt unstable too.

Long story short...my implant got loose and broke thru my pelvis. First revision failed and all subsequent revisions have failed. I just had my 6th dislocation, even with the new parts put in that were supposed to stop them. Bad things can and do go wrong even if you're like I was and think bah, that'll never happen to me I'm too healthy. Be sure and ask what all your options are, what you can expect for the outcome and if your surgeon is experienced performing this type of surgery.
Best of luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom