Hip Infection Hip revision - 14 days post surgery bacteria found

Lucy707

Country
United States United States
New here tonight. I had my hip replaced June 2018. June 2019 I woke to pain. Met with surgeon, he said it loosened on the outside. Did bloodwork and CRP etc was high, inflammation but I have 19 years Rheumatoid Arthritis. Did an aspiration, no results. Had Revision Aug. 15. Full revision with 2.5 inch longer appliance. 14 days after the surgery the surgeon calls and said they did 3 anaerobic cultures and one came up with Propriano acne bacteria. Just one culture, and just that one bacteria..
Meeting with surgeon and infectious disease doctor this week, but I really would like to find out if anyone else has had that bacteria. I dont even know what to expect or what questions to ask? I'm pretty nervous, being as I just got out of surgery 19 days ago. Is this normal?!?
The surgery was way longer the second time, but the recovery was 1/3 as difficult. I found that strange too. Any help is appreciated. Lucy707

Hi @Lucy707 welcome to Bonesmart! I'm sorry for what you're going through recently. I don't know much about infections, but I'll tag @Jamie . She may have some info for you.

I moved your thread to the THR Recovery area of the forum. You'll get more attention and feedback here.

Hi, Lucy! Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm so sorry you've needed a revision and now find that you've tested positive for a bacterial infection. The good news is that it has been discovered and it sounds as if your surgeon is on the ball to take care of it. One of the things we tell people is to be sure to have an infectious disease doctor involved in your treatment and you do. That's good.

I know we had one person on the forum almost a decade ago with that bacteria. It's not one of the common ones that people get. But your doctor will know exactly how to treat it. There are many approaches that can be used, so I don't want to second guess what someone who has eyes on your complete case file might do to fight the bacteria. The thing with these bacterial infections is that the little bugs can develop what is called a biofilm when they attach to the metal in a prosthesis. This is basically a protective mechanism that can make it more difficult to kill them. Years ago, doctors knew very little about the biofilm and the bacteria it shielded. That's not the case today and your infectious disease doctor should be able to explain his plan for combating the infection to you when you see him this coming week.

Please let us know the outcome of that meeting. When you post, if you tag me I'll see it more quickly. You tag someone by typing the "at" sign (@) before their username with no spaces....like this..... @Jamie.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask. We're here to support you!

Hi Lucy, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us here.
I'm sorry for your diagnosis of hip infection and all that's involved in the process. There are many success stories here of those who've successfully dealt with this setback and confidently moved forward. We're here for you to offer support and encouragement as you journey through. Stop by often, we'll be here.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you meet with your surgeon and infectious disease doctor this week.
@Lucy707

We have had many members battle through this infection journey. Maybe not with the same bacterial infection you are experiencing. But they certainly know the journey. I'll tag a couple so they can come and chat with you.
@clodaghcov @Izabel

@Lucy707 Hi Lucy,so sorry its looking like you have an infection, I did not have the same infection as you, but i guess most of us who have these things are treated in a similar way. The good thing is you sound well so hopefully this can be dealt with antibiotics. I have had two different infections over 6 years and am at present with a spacer having had my hip removed whilst i had a year of antibiotics and I was very ill. The main thing is ,it is being dealt with, you surgeon will be consulting with an infectious doctor and they will come up with a plan. Stay positive you will get well,research as much as you can so you understand the medical jargon.i will be thinking of you and watching for your progress. Hugsxx

Hi from me too Lucy and :welome: to the best place to be when you are going through issues such as you are experiencing.

I have not experienced your bacteria either but have unfortunately had MRSA in general and E-Coli in my hip. As @clodaghcov I had my hip removed for a revision when the E-Coli was discovered and I had spacer for 5 months along with antibiotics. I went for blood tests every two weeks and in March this year I underwent the second stage Revision and a 30cm stem plus larger ball was installed. It is not a pleasant experience but always look on the bright side ... that being the bacteria has been caught and identified. I am still having a few difficulties but they are issues I can deal with and work on. Had mine not been caught in October I possibly would not have made it to Christmas so I count my blessings. I see my Surgeon on 20 September and am keeping my fingers crossed I have clear blood results.

In the meantime, keep in touch with us as there is a wonderful support system here.

Sending best wishes ...

Hugs for You.jpeg Izabel

Hello @Lucy707 - and :welome:

I'm sorry to read that you've developed an infection in your hip replacement. Do let us know what your surgeon and infectious disease doctor decide is the best treatment for you now, won't you?

Please will you tell us the full dates of your hip surgeries and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Thank you everyone for your support! I met for an hour today with my surgeon and Infectious Disease Dr, and I find myself even more confused. They found one SPOT on one Culture with P. Acnes Bacteria, which is a skin bacteria, and really RARE for the hip, and it could be simply an anomaly or the culture was infected by lab? The quandary is I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and doing the 6 wk. IV antibiotic will kill my good bacteria and leave me in a possibly dangerous position as I am immune-compromised. So we decided to do another hip aspiration, so I wont know anything until probably September 20. Lots of time to be worried and stressed. In the meantime, it appears that all biologic RA drugs have to be on hold which makes my life pretty much a nightmare. I am flaring constantly and have nothing but Prednisone and Sulfasalazine, and the Prednisone will affect the inflammation so it would be hard to tell if the hip is infected or not. I am suffering post operative depression and RA pain, and pretty much cry every 20 minutes or so. I MUST go back to work tomorrow. Wish me luck.
PS. For those who asked: First operation Right Hip June 2018. Failed June 2018..Muscles became detached on outside. Full Revision August 15, 2019, And now this.

I know this must seem overwhelming to you right now. So many uncertainties. But your surgeon's approach is a good one. Given your particular medical history it is wise to do the testing again and be sure you really do have an infection before embarking on what might be a challenging treatment for you.

Since you are suffering from post op depression, you might want to discuss this with your GP to see if there is anything that could help you through this rough patch. Be sure you are eating as well as possible (healthy foods and lots of protein). Drink plenty of water to stay properly hydrated. And get as much sleep as you can. If you can spend a little time outside each day in the sunshine, that may help some too.

Going back to work tomorrow seems a bit soon after your revision on August 15th. Is it at all possible that you can take some additional time off? If not, maybe you could arrange to work from home at least part of the time or work partial days for a while so you could get the rest you need. You're only 3 weeks out of surgery and it's quite possible that your endurance will be less than normal and you'll tire very easily. Maybe there is somewhere at work where you could take a short rest every couple of hours?

Sometimes we have too many things land in our lap we are not expecting or wanting but we must be positive at all times. One thing I suggest is that you start eating Greek yogurt once or twice a day. It gives you needed protein but also puts the good bacteria in your system. When I was in hospital I requested yogurts daily, sometimes to eat, sometimes to drink. I have them daily now and also take a probiotic capsule.

I am sorry you have to wait so long to get the culture results back and even worse that you have to return to work today. I do hope it is not too stressful for you.

I'm so sorry. You are dealing with a lot right now. Waiting for answers certainly doesn't help either.
I would definitely look into taking a good pro-biotic to keep the beneficial bacteria needed for a healthy digestive tract and strong immune response. I'd also consider looking into an ianti-nflammatory diet, if you're not on one already, eating foods that fight inflammation and eliminating those that contribute to inflammation. Not only could it prove beneficial, but it may give you a feeling that you have a measure of control as you're dealing with all this uncertainty. I'm sorry you have to return to work so soon after surgery. I wish you the best and hope you able to rest once you get home without doing much else.
Hugs :console2:
@Lucy707

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member