THR Hip Resurfacing vs Hip Replacement

Deputy#265

Country
United States United States
Hello! I'm a very active 49 year old male. I had the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing on the left hip in 2014 with amazing results. 100% able to return to my active life style.
I am currently needing the right hip replaced and looking at the dual mobility hip replacement.
Was hoping to get some insight and/or comparisons between the two procedures.
Thank you

I had both. My hip resurfacing failed due to metallosis. I had a dual mobility unit that replaced the femoral cap of the resurfaced hip.

I can honestly say the dual mobility feels more natural than the prior resurfacing. I would always have pops and movements with the resurfacing. The dual mobility seems to be more stable. You would think the opposite as the BHR are meant to conserve bone.

Also, had it done via the anterior method, so far so good I am 6 weeks out.

Thanks,

Larry

Hate to hear BHR failed you. I've heard good things about the dual mobility. My concern is returning to a highly active lifestyle. I've had tremendous success with the BHR.
Thank you for the information.

Yeah, failure rate is low for resurfacing, I guess I was unlucky. Anyways I asked my surgeon and he said after six months no restrictions for the dual mobility. I asked about jogging he said not an issue.

Why dont you get another BHR, just curious?

Dr. who did my BHR is out on medical with no definitive return date. No one else within 5-6 hours does the procedure. A local Dr. who has been assisting with pain management over the past five months suggested the dual mobility as a good alterative.
So your Dr. advised that running is permitted with DM? That is a primary concern since my work requires that I be able to run intermittently.

Wondering if anyone has returned to weight training (squat/deadlift) and running after the DM procedure.

I had my dual mobility done at HSS, he stated I basically had no restrictions. I am your age don't think I will go back to jogging, just to extend the life of the implant. Weight training should be fine after six months.

What state do you live?

Louisiana, internet search shows people returning to running triathlons as well as engaging in various other high impact events after THR. It does not go into detail as to what procedure they had done.

Yeah, my hip feels great for 6 weeks. Even with the resurfacing you still stress the femoral part of your hip when doing impact sports. Surgeons dont really like to say what you can and cant do when it comes to more impact style sports. I guess they dont want to get blamed if it goes bad.

Dr.Gross is in South Carolina he dies hip resurfacing. Not sure how far away you are from him.

S Carolina is probably 17-18 hrs from me. A little to far.

So, as someone who thought for a long time that I was going to go the route of resurfacing, I'll share that I had to update my view of total hip replacement. An increasing number of total hip surgeons now allow their patients to pursue aggressive athletic activity. I have a Corin device, not dual mobility, and my surgeon placed no restrictions on me. None. I run, dance, bike and yes lift weights (though my gym is closed so I'm not using resistance bands). And my surgeon isn't alone in this in his practice, which has several dozen surgeons.

I researched a lot of surgeons before I had surgery. I did not find--note, I'm not a doctor or surgeon--but I did not find that surgeons comfortable with patients doing high-level activity favored the dual mobility device. They weren't against dual mobility, but it wasn't the case that top surgeons with athletic patients favored dual mobility.

I sense (again I'm not a doctor) that dual mobility devices were partly intended to reduce dislocations. Well surgeons using a number of approaches think they have dislocations under control. Some posterior surgeons began to sew people up in a way designed to reduce dislocations--"soft tissue repair." My surgeon cuts from the front and side (anterolateral approach) and by the nature of where he cuts, the dislocation rate of his patients is extremely low. The anterior approach also apparently has reduced dislocations.

And then there was a materials breakthrough in the form of highly cross-linked polyethylene liners. Also the ceramic balls. The cross-linked polyethylene liners have dramatically decreased wear rates of devices. I have a close friend who had surgery ten years before I did at the same practice that my surgeon is part of, and she remembered her surgeon insisting on no running. My surgeon is now the director of joint replacement for that same practice and he is fine with me running.

I'll share the key point I learned on this board. Really it's best to focus on finding an excellent surgeon, not focus on the device. Excellent surgeons pick excellent devices. Great surgeons pick devices they can insert in a way that is going to get the best results and the best recoveries. No device implants itself. And really you don't necessarily want to talk your surgeon in using a different device if that devices requires shift in techniques that the surgeon isn't accustomed to. Experience is such a big part of what makes a surgeon really good.

The bottom line is lots of surgeons are comfortable with athletic activity after total hip replacement. I wouldn't go searching for surgeons who use dual mobility in order to be able to be active. Just consult with some top surgeons and share your goals for after surgery and see who you click with.

BTW: one top surgeon I consulted, someone who attracts a lot of athletic patients, told me that one reason he no longer does resurfacing is that he thinks the total hip can do what resurfacing was invented to do: allow aggressive activity.

Welcome and good luck. Just find some really good surgeons and meet them, share your goals and see what feels right. You can even ask them about dual mobility if you want.

Last edited:
Very insightful and thank you for sharing your research and experiences.

Wow, that was some great info. I went anterior as I allready had a posterior scar and wanted to avoid additional trauma to the area. My case is a little different as I was able to keep my acetabular component.

The surgeon was able to match fit a dual mobility to the acetabular component I had. I never really asked much about dual mobility vs a standard hip replacement device. I had my surgery done at HSS so they have alot of data on all types of hip surgeries scopes,resurfacing and standard hip replacements. The revision surgeon recommended a dual mobility so we went with it. As stated, he said I can resume jogging after six month. I had a cement less procedure. Unfortunately my left hip has some arthritis so I want to preserve it thus I wont be back to running anytime soon.

I think you will be surprised how natural these newer hip replacement devises feel.

Good luck

Larry

After talking to numerous surgeons who no longer do the Birmingham hip resurfacing for various reasons I finally bit the bullet and set a date for 3/11/21 for the dual mobility hip replacement.

Well done on setting your surgery date. We will get you added to the March group so that you can share your experience with members having surgery at that time.

Good luck to you as well JW. Hope all goes well.

Well, tomorrow is your big day. Stopping by to wish you all the best.
We’ll be waiting for you on the recovery side to offer good cheer and support.
See you there soon! :wave:
@Deputy#265

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom