BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Hip Resurfacing Great After 5 Years

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Laeticiajane, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laeticiajane

Laeticiajane new member

Hi

I just want to report that my resurfacings are now 5 years old. I had them done when I was 37 here in UK at Oswestry.

9 weeks after second was done (done a few weeks apart) I was back riding my horse, mounting from the ground. I have been running, cycling and basically living my life which I hadn't for several years whilst the doctors decided what to do with me, I have osteoarthritis.

My surgeon never gave any restrictions what so ever, with these hips and told me to go and enjoy my life. I certainly am! These hips will more than likely fail in time (like any artificial joint) but I feel due to my age and activity level these were the best option for me, durable and most importantly for me bone conserving.

Best Wishes
    jane in Wales

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Jane....I moved your post to its own thread. Yours is a story too good to leave buried in that thread....this way more people will see it. Glad you are doing so well!!

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Amen!!!

4. waverider-42

waverider-42 junior member

Hi Jane, I'm loving reading such positive tales, I didn't get any encouragement for a return to kitesurfing from anyone, in-fact, whenever I mentioned it I saw eyes rolling. Quite frankly falling from a horse is going to do more damage than falling into the sea. I'm 3 weeks post-op on my second metal on metal resurfacing but I'm a lot older than you so I've been lucky with the surgeon though, "It was worth-it".

Regards
    Richard

• Like Like x 2
  5. Josephine

Richard, your post made me smile! But sadly, Laticia hasn't been on the forum since 11th Jan and probably won't be back. Was a nice post of hers though.

6. waverider-42

[Embarrassed smile]

Clearly, contributers to this forum are largely going to disappear once there're up-and-running and have very little to share or the need for support. Shame really, knowing how people are managing 2 years on or more is a very important part of the help you give, certainly 2 years on from my first MoM resurface I still have a few issues that could-well be solved by sharing with you people rather than with my GP.

7. Jamie

Sadly, that is the way it is for most of our member, Richard. They recover and go on to live their lives. After all, that IS the purpose of the surgery.

But we are blessed that a number of folks choose to stay on and talk to those who are following them in surgery. Others check in now and then to write about where they are at that point.

So I'd say if you have any questions, concerns or issues you'd like to discuss, start a thread and throw them out there. It is still possible that you will find people who are years out from surgery may be "lurking" out there, see your post and repsond.

8. Laeticiajane

Laeticiajane new member

Hi Richard

I do call in here from time to time to pick up tips or pass information on.

Glad you are doing well and the kitesurfing sounds fantastic, there is something to look forward to in the summer. I am regularly riding for three to five hours at a time with no problems and often have to get off and jump on again when opening gates.

Hope your recovery carries on well and anything I can help with please ask away. I do correspond with a top UK hip surgeon in order to help other hippies. I have hip get togethers from time to time with hippies from all over UK and even a Canadian who has joined every one of my meetings, the surgeon has come along to answer questions, but it is a very social thing with nice food and a few drinks.

take care

jane in Wales

9. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Sr Bonesmartie

And then are people like me who just keep replacing joints so that they have an excuse to stay on here! :lvros:

yeah, right!

10. Jamie

:rotfl::rotfl: I know it's not funny, Karen, but you made me laugh!!! I do hope you run out of bad joints here pretty soon, though. Heaven knows you've been through enough!!!

11. Josephine

Karen - awww, bless!

12. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Sr Bonesmartie

All I can say is that I named myself accordingly! 1jt@atime

You have to joke about stuff like this or it'll drive you crazy.
    ai41.tinypic.com_6p6z2e.jpg

13. waverider-42

Thanks for popping-in to say hello Jane and fabulous that you continue an active life, it's what I intend to do. I have lived in North Pembrokeshire for 10 years but haven't been able to walk the coast path even though I managed to kitesurf, kitesurfing can be partial weight baring in the same way as being in a squat position and I'm careful to pick and choose the conditions because this can be a wild and windy place.

I'm hoping to keep in touch with 'you-lot', hopefully to keep reporting my continued progress.

Regards
    Richard

14. Mudpro

Mudpro graduate

My resurfaced hip is doing great after 16 months and surviving 2 Blizzards! :shk::D

15. Josephine

Yeah - that was some tester, Mud!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.