THR Hip Replacement

Merrytaylor

Country
United States United States
Having hip replacement December 1st.

I took a cancellation which moved the surgery up by a month and am now scrambling to make sure I’m prepared.

@Merrytaylor Welcome to BoneSmart! Which hip are you having replaced? Well done on getting your date moved up!

Here are a couple of articles that might help your preparation:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

If you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Thanks so much for the add. Having my left hip replaced.

So it’s the Friday before my scheduled hip surgery on Tuesday, December 1st and I’m thinking about canceling. (I’ve already cancelled once because I couldn’t figure out home care with no family and friends who have their own health issues.) I’m not afraid of the surgeon, hospital or surgery (well the surgery, a little.) All of a sudden I’m thinking about the home health care that I have scheduled and the Covid situation. I am in Chapel Hill, NC. I have contracted with the best home health agency in the area to come for 8 hours a day for the first four of five days and then 4 hours a day after that. When I asked last week they said that they don’t test their caregivers but, that they wear masks. I’m very afraid that I will get Covid on top of recovering from surgery. I am 70, fairly active with Addison’s Disease. Any input would be appreciated. The other option would be to get a steroid injection and wait until the Spring.

@Merrytaylor I really don't think you will need home healthcare for that many hours. Many of us were home alone during recovery and did just fine. You might want someone to come in once per day to check on you, bring in groceries or straighten up a bit. But you won't need someone for 8 hours - not even for 4 hours.

The decision is yours. But if you have already cancelled once I sure would not do it again. Your hip will only get worse.

Thanks very much. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks again. I have been speaking with a neighbor younger than me and more athletic who had hip replacement two months ago. She said that I shouldn’t even consider not having home health 24/7. Another neighbor, hip replacement last June said 4 hours a day should be sufficient. Everyone says something different. I’m very glad that I found this site and forum and am going to follow the advice here.

Just remember, you will be fully mobile, moving around on your own before leaving the hospital. This includes going up and down stairs.

Lots of people who live alone have come home to look after themselves after surgery. It is possible to manage, with a little prior preparation.

You'll need to arrange grocery delivery, and someone to drive you to and from appointments. It's a good idea if you have a friend or neighbour to pop in and be around while you have a shower, but your don't need anyone with you 24/7.
You should always have your phone beside you, with someone available to come if you have an emergency.

We have a whole section here about being Home Alone After Surgery - you might be able to pick up a few tips from it.

This has given me so much more confidence for managing upon my return. Thanks very much!

Hello and Happy Monday @Merrytaylor
Assuming you’re still on for tomorrow...I’d like to wish you only the best.
I will look forward to following your healing journey on the recovery side. You’re never alone with us, please remember that.
Hugs and healing wishes coming your way. :friends:

:wave:Sending good wishes your way and will look for you on the Healing Side.
Bye bye hip pain:yes!:

Surgery was a 7:30 am and as far as I know, all went well. Many thanks for your best wishes!

I feel generally good - had a spinal and propofol (sp?) but, once the block wore off about an hour ago pain is a problem. Now up to I’d say an 8, aching and throbbing down the front of my leg and groin. They just gave me two Norco tablets. I’m allergic to the oxy’s. I get hives.

mom so glad this is over and that I’m now on the other side - but, hope the pain subsided a little!

Hello again, Congrats on your new hip!
Ask for ice if they’re not already providing it. Icing helps with swelling and pain.
Hopefully they get your pain under control soon so you’re able to rest comfortably.

When you’re feeling up to it, I encourage you to start a thread on the Hip Recovery side. We will leave Recovery Guidelines for you and I believe you’ll enjoy the support and encouragement you’ll receive there. Please join us! :)
@Merrytaylor

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks